Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Important changes in legal system against child abuse

Just in!!

After the revelation of the startling facts presented in the 2nd episode of Satyamev Jayate, (Aamir Khan's TV Show), the Lok Sabha has passed a bill for Protection of Children from Sexual Abuse.

This bill now firmly establishes the age of consent as 18 years, and does not contain any provision for consent by anyone below the specified age, irrespective of the circumstances. Also, because of this law, no longer will a child's complaint against sexual abuse be treated under the same category of that of an adult.

It also safeguards various aspects of a child's mental welfare, by providing means by which the child may register a complaint from home, as well as give his/her statement via video. Sexual assault has been made gender neutral. Also, procedures have been laid down to ensure that the child is in no way traumatized during the investigation. Under this bill, the burden of evidence lies with the accused, not with the victim.

My opinion is that this is an excellent move to establish better child welfare in the country. What now needs to be seen is how efficiently this law is implemented, how well our judicial system copes with the cases that will be presented. I hope the cops that this in their stride and do well to protect and nurture our country's future, i.e., the innocent children.

Link to full article:

Protection of Children from Sexual Abuse
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:17   #2
BHPian

re: Important changes in legal system against child abuse

Even though the show is commendable and I watch it regularly, I don't think it was the cause of this law being brought about. Passing laws in Lok Sabha is not simple and I am sure that this law may have been drafted and may have gone through the required red tape for more than a year now ! It may just be a coincidence that it's passed just about now when the show is also on air. For all you know the show may have been deliberately be released to match the bill passing time frame.

It's just a bit of a clever PR activity to link the show and the passing of bill and portraying so in the print media.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:31   #3
BHPian

re: Important changes in legal system against child abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Just in!!

After the revelation of the startling facts presented in the 2nd episode of Satyamev Jayate, (Aamir Khan's TV Show), the Lok Sabha has passed a bill for Protection of Children from Sexual Abuse.
and nurture our country's future, i.e., the innocent children.

Link to full article:

Protection of Children from Sexual Abuse

The passing of this legislation and bringing it on the statute book is a commendable development.

Attributing credit for this to a TV show is rank opportunism at best and shows complete lack of comprehension of legislative process.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Important changes in legal system against child abuse

Attributing the newly passed legislation to the airing of some TV show is not mentioned in the article linked at all. That seems to be the original poster's own conclusion.

Mod Note: Thread title changed to reflect this.

This is an important piece of legislation because for the first time child abuse has been recognised as an offence in itself. Knowing how rampant it is both in this country and worldwide, this is a step to be appreciated.

Some of the key highlights of the law, according to the article linked in post#1:
Quote:
- A child will no longer be treated on a par with an adult in case of sexual abuse.
- It empowers a child to file a complaint from his or her own room, give the statement in front of a woman police officers at a place of the minor’s choice and demand for an interpreter in case he or she is unable to understand the language.
- The burden of proof will be on the accused, not the alleged victim.
- In another path-breaking provision, the age of consent has been scrapped in this particular law. This means that child traffickers’ usual excuse — the victims are almost always forced to say that the tormentors are taking them away with their consent — will no longer be accepted. As soon as it is established that a child is below 18, police can proceed against the suspects.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd May 2012 at 16:53.
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

I hope it takes care of finer issues. A teenage couple can get in serious trouble once one of them crosses 18. I think in western countries between 13-18 the age gap has to be more than 5 years to substantiate an abuse.
Old 24th May 2012, 20:07   #6
BHPian

I for one do not agree with the wording of the law. Its progressive is some areas, and just retarded in many other.

For example "The bill has deemed any sexual relations with a person aged below 18 years as rape regardless of whether it was consensual or not. At present, the age of consent is 16 years in most parts of India. "

This just leads to victimization of many young boys and girls (aged around 15-18). More and more youngsters are experimenting with sex at lesser age. This issue is not criminal in nature, and should be not criminalized. The age of consent should not be brought down.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:37   #7
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Todays program of Satyamev Jayate about doctors and health practices in India is an eye opener. Few points that amazed me are
- The actual price of manufacturing medicine is very low
- Medicines are expensive due to high commissions being paid to the doctors, as high as 30%
- Cost of medicines bought from "generic medicine" shop (set up by Rajasthan government) is about 10% of the normal cost bought from any medical shop.
- For example, a cancer medicine costs about 1.5 Lakhs a pack in the market, whereas the same medicine made by the same company is available at Rs 8500- Rs 10000 a pack in the "generic medicine" store.
- Example 2 - A diabetic medicine which costs about Rs 117 per tablet in the medical shop costs only Rs. 1.70 for 10 Tablets in a "generic medicine" store.
To vote and support opening of such "generic medicine" store please SMS Y to 5782711. I voted a Y to benefit Indians...

I'm impressed by such good programs and hope dirty politics do not interfere the screening of Satyamav Jayate.

MODS: Please change the title of the thread to something more general (Satyamev Jayate - An eye opener)

Last edited by MAS : 27th May 2012 at 12:43.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:40   #8
BHPian

I too saw this show and was amazed by how this show was touching the issues that affect common man. There were many facts highlighted in the show which MAS has highlighted above. One more thing - bringing the head of the Medical Council was a brave move. Though it did not help the show but it shows that Satyamev Jayate is serious is bringing about some change. Rather than bringing a change I think this show is more about making people aware of things around them and being more open about it. It would be really helpful if a doctor himself/herself actually agrees to whatever was shown in the show.

Another suggestion worth considering - Govt. should consider healthcare more seriously and make sure it accounts for greater percentage of GDP.
Old 28th May 2012, 03:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

There is a whole industry setup on manufacturing "generic" brand medicine either when a patent expires, or if the patent is not valid in the country it's been marketed. Ranbaxy itself has been in legal fights because of murky patent scene in India.

I didn't see the show, but the points made in the posts below do not even scratch the surface of medicine research, patenting, marketing and competition. And let's not forget extensive human drug testing that some of you will be amazed/disgusted when you learn how they are conducted.

Imagine two controlled groups of people, one of which is given a placebo for a new drug hoping they will die, while the other group will survive, without either group knowing what they are given. And imagine what if the reverse happens.

Most Viewed