Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 11:52   #1
BHPian

What is your choice of PIL?

We all have heard about PIL, but we were kind of shaken up after Supreme court ruled on PIL to ban car sun films. PIL means Public Interest Litigation. But in case of car film ban, I am not sure if this was in overall public interest. At least for most of us on Team BHP, this was not in our interest. So what are the problems that we see fit for PIL?

I am not sure how easy or difficult to create such PIL. We will probably not attempt using this unless we have a lawyer in our family and time to deal with the process. But just assume that filing PIL is just as easy as creating a poll on this forum.

In such case, what PIL you would like to file? List down things you are really concerned of related to Vehicles, Traffic, Safety etc. And it should be in interest of the Public.

Example, I would like to file PIL for following two problems -

1. Heavy vehicles without functional lights/indicators at rear. This is a cause of many accidents on highway

2. Commercial fleet owners (taxi, trucks etc) forcing their drivers to take up more journeys without proper rest. So like Airline Pilots, there should be rule about scheduling their work duties. I don't know how to enforce it. But it can be something like they can not drive more than xxx KM per day.

Please write down your thoughts.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Re: What is your choice of PIL?

If there is no purpose, whats the point in discussing? This thread should result in filing a PIL.

My points for PIL would be
1. Driving licenses are not updated with proper address. So in cases of accidents, even if I get DL copy, there is no use.

2. High beam lights and modified lights often blind innocent drivers and cause accidents.

3. Unnecessary honking; modified horns should be caught.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 13:02   #3
BHPian

How about poor roads, poor traffic management, pollution, adulterated fuel, authorities not enforcing rules, cops not following rules, etc - things that we are paying exorbitant taxes for, but not getting.

Getting a licence is a joke here in India.

The list is endless....
wanderluster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 13:04   #4
BHPian

I think a PIL against the way PIL system works in India should be on top of the list

Rajan
Old 29th May 2012, 13:38   #5
BHPian

I have two

1. Extra "fees" at most tourist location for carry a Camera/Video Cam, as if I'm going to steal the beauty using my cam. Apart from paying entrance fees one is expected to pay fees for the equipment again and at many places its pay per visit, atrocious !! If at all, after looking at the pics people would be drawn to come again/invite friends.

2. If your NOT an Indian national one has to pay almost twice the price as "Foreign National" entrance fees. I dont get discrminated based on my race, skin color or country of origin anywhere abroad. This must be stopped immediately.

Whoever made such biased rules has no sense of the free world.
kartikk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 13:55   #6
BHPian

1. Lower the chassis and bumpers of trucks and buses so that in case of an impact, the police don't have to pull the other vehicle from under the truck/bus.

2. PIL to modify earlier SC ruling on Sun Films so that new ruling auguments CMVR rather than total ban.

3. Compulsory speed governor installation on all commercial vehicles (Buses, trucks, taxis)

4. Rigorous enforcement of pollution control on commercial and government vehicles.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 14:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dumper trucks carrying blue metal without proper covering and spilling it all over the road, damaging our tyres.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

A few.

Make the roads as per international design.

No joining the lane in vertical, the lanes joining should be smooth such that the person joining the lane cannot interfere other lanes.
Move away with medians etc on highways etc for safety of people crossing the roads
Vehicle hitting from behind should pay penalty to government apart from reimbursing the one in front
Give footpaths to pedestrians please.
Old 29th May 2012, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here is my list, off the top of my head:

1. Alternate good quality free use roads for every tolled road in the country.
2. All politicians in any post and their extended family to use public transport only regardless of distance. No official cars, no drivers, no personal car usage, no flashing beacons, no priority on roads nothing. If it is good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.
3. All highways to have a hospital with at least first aid service every 100km.
4. All highways to have resting areas every 50km. Even a lane branching out and joining after half km should be ok. This place should have toilets.
5. Clean public toilets (pay per use) to be available every 2 km within the city, every 50km on the highway
6. No shops, hotels, business or their parking lots within 50 metres width of any highway.
7. Ban all loud horns after specifying a limit. This decibel limit can be decided by testing near the judge's residence at 3am without prior notice.
8. Roads should be used only for transport. Not for marriage processions, protests, political shows of strength etc. If a road is used for such purposes, rent should be charged from concerned people. After all if a marriage hall or playground is used, they pay rent. So the same should be applied for roads.

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th May 2012 at 15:44. Reason: typo correction
Old 29th May 2012, 15:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would like to file a PIL against Auto drivers who choose to remove the connections to their rear brake lights. Seriously, there are only 5 to 10% of autos having their rear lights on at night. And some really smart fellows dont even turn on their headlights! God knows what they are trying to achieve with it.
Old 29th May 2012, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honestly -

I do not find the need for a PIL at all. If the existing laws are enforced strictly by Police / authorities, believe me, Accidents would reduce by 90%.

If dark-tinting was elimiated, there would have no need to file the law-suit to remove sun-films

Heavy penalty is the only option. Jump a ared light - pay 3000/- fine.

If penalties are heavy, people will automatically fall in line. I fail to understand what is the problem or how much effort is needed to switch on hazard blinkers when parked. If this was done, the Pune expressway accident could have been averted 50%.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
7. Ban all loud horns after specifying a limit. This decibel limit can be decided by testing near the judge's residence at 3am without prior notice.
Very well said, selfdrive!

These local taxiwallas with their 'musical horns' should be heavily fined. They continuously honk for no reason whatsoever. It's really irritating
Old 29th May 2012, 20:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

I just witnessed a gruesome accident.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2792577

So, PIL against trucks, lorries carrying rods/any other items beyond the vehicle length.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:27   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
Here is my list, off the top of my head:

1. Alternate good quality free use roads for every tolled road in the country.
2. All politicians in any post and their extended family to use public transport only regardless of distance. No official cars, no drivers, no personal car usage, no flashing beacons, no priority on roads nothing. If it is good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.
3. All highways to have a hospital with at least first aid service every 100km.
4. All highways to have resting areas every 50km. Even a lane branching out and joining after half km should be ok. This place should have toilets.
5. Clean public toilets (pay per use) to be available every 2 km within the city, every 50km on the highway
6. No shops, hotels, business or their parking lots within 50 metres width of any highway.
8. Roads should be used only for transport. Not for marriage processions, protests, political shows of strength etc. If a road is used for such purposes, rent should be charged from concerned people. After all if a marriage hall or playground is used, they pay rent. So the same should be applied for roads.

I love it! Add this too. All ambulances to be given absolute right of way every time on the public roads!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th May 2012 at 22:03. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Old 29th May 2012, 23:47   #15
BHPian

Great points, Selfdrive! Most of these points will really improve the safety of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Supreme court judge is probably covered under Z category security. Otherwise we can apply your test criteria on judge's car for Sun Film in peak of Delhi summer.

(Seriously, what we are writing can be taken as 'Contempt of the court' and can be punishable)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks