Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 00:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saving a magnificient tree in my neighbourhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
The owner of the new house says the roots have entered his property and hence it is a nuisance.
So, the roots of the tree have entered his property, which could very much mean that the flooring (actually the foundation) and what not could be getting damaged. I wonder if you would be feeling so "green" if it were your house that was affected.

An aam aadmi has bigger fish to fry than scheming to cut down a tree from his mohalla. Did it occur to you that he might be telling the truth and not concocting something out of thin air?

At best, you can politely voice your sentiments and ask him to show you the official permission he has obtained. The tone of this thread (not to mention, some of the comments from fellow members) presents this person like some villain, which I do not believe to be the case.

I also found this short article on google, worth a read IMO.

Will tree roots damage my house? - Telegraph

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 8th June 2012 at 00:54.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Could anyone guide me how to cross verify this from the forest department. Please guide me on how to go about it to save this tree. I want to try everything possible that I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I wonder if you would be feeling so "green" if it were your house that was affected.

An aam aadmi has bigger fish to fry than scheming to cut down a tree from his mohalla. Did it occur to you that he might be telling the truth and not concocting something out of thin air?

At best, you can politely voice your sentiments and ask him to show you the official permission he has obtained. The tone of this thread (not to mention, some of the comments from fellow members) presents this person like some villain, which I do not believe to be the case.
He has clearly mentioned that he wishes to cross check if the documents are genuine and that the tree indeed is causing trouble. He's started the thread asking for possible avenues to save the tree and not to harass his neighbour.

As a matter of fact I find your tone offensive and personal.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
He has clearly mentioned that he wishes to cross check if the documents are genuine and that the tree indeed is causing trouble. He's started the thread asking for possible avenues to save the tree and not to harass his neighbour.

As a matter of fact I find your tone offensive and personal.
+1 to that. No need to get offensive, unless of course if you are the neighbor trying to chop down that tree. This is a useful thread for many who might encounter similar instances in our own neighborhoods that are fast turning into concrete jungles.
Old 20th June 2012, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Gents, we are missing the big picture here. A tree vs. a roof over someone's (+ their family's) head.

The end objective must not only be to save the tree, but also take into perspective the plight of the gentleman concerned.

Again, please re-read some of the responses on this thread; suggesting the OP to resort to emotional blackmailing on pretext of religion and what not. Is that in the right spirit? you be the judge.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:05   #20
BHPian

The tree in question is not inside the property but by the road side, As per the first post the owner of the property, rebuilding the house, is complaining that the roots have entered his property.

So cutting those roots (and Branches if any inside the property) and taking care that they don't re-enter should solve the problem. In case the tree dies in the process it cannot be helped.

The thread-starter trying to verify the documents and genuinely trying to save the tree should not be construed as evil intentions or selfishness.

The unethical suggestions were not a creation of the thread starter and I do not endorse them.

My response was to your personal attack on the thread starter where it seemed you were accusing him of troubling his new neighbor which I feel he is not.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:37   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
suggesting the OP to resort to emotional blackmailing on pretext of religion and what not. Is that in the right spirit? you be the judge.

Either you are reading too much into a simple idea that one could save a tree by getting the house owner to re-consider the decision on various factors or you are concealing a secret loathing for the original beliefs of this land. Unnecessarily complicating the thread with negativity.

Personally I have felt "conscious" energy in the rocks (around a spot where a sage reportedly meditated in the centuries past) when experiencing a communion in the forests and I have felt a certain "consciousness" in large trees as I admired their existence and how they support an entire mini-ecosystem from insects to birds. And I have had very strong feelings on seeing several very large trees cut down to make way for the metro one day around 1AM in the morning - it was like visiting a crime scene of a mass murder, no less haunting than when the victims would be humans.

I strongly second the suggestions that one should appeal to the sentiments and belief systems of the house owner if they can influence his decision and find alternative solutions. Who knows, maybe the notion on the lines of "Either the Tree or my House but not both can survive" may be a wrong judgement in the absence of alternative solutions where both can survive.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 25th June 2012 at 14:40.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

There is another angle to things in some cases. In a friend's house, we saw that the residents who had settled years before them, had planted trees in what were other people's plot. Now they lose parking as well as have a similar roots issue because of some very smart "green minded" neighbors. Complete idiots, such people. I wish such people limited themselves to taking care of public parks or growing potted plants in their households.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks