Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who will win the EURO 2012?
Spain 24 32.00%
Germany 23 30.67%
Netherlands 7 9.33%
Italy 4 5.33%
Portugal 6 8.00%
England 6 8.00%
France 3 4.00%
Others 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 13:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Euro 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Ronaldo again failed in his national team. Nothing new then.
Nothing new? The guy is the reason Portugal are playing the Euros in the first place. They have no recognised world class striker or a goal keeper. Thats their main problem.

Anyway ronaldo was quite good yesterday and setup his mates for some good chances that were flipped. Protugal created some good chances, eespecially after Gomez scored but just like the Dutch they couldnt put the ball in the net. That miss by their winger was huge. He had practically an empty goal but he shot straight at Nueur. Nani also could have scored in the end when Ronaldo set him up. Sadly it was not Portugal's night. I wasnt impressed by the Germans though.
Old 10th June 2012, 15:33   #47
BHPian

I feel that Ronaldo did not have enough chances at the ball yesterday. But when he had it, the defender from the German team (Boating) had to work hard to keep him off. The commentator was commenting that "Boating just watch the ball and do not watch Ronaldo's legs" and he repeated this twice. When they showed that particular dribbling from Ronaldo in slow motion, it was simply awesome. So much leg movements within a short span of time. No doubt he (Ronaldo) is a world class, but as a team Portugal needs some more players like him to win.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Nothing new? The guy is the reason Portugal are playing the Euros in the first place. They have no recognised world class striker or a goal keeper. Thats their main problem.
When I meant national team it was in major tournaments like Euros or WCup and not just qualifying rounds. As good a player he is, quite often he fails to deliver in important games with his country. Their tactics don't help either..by only setting up for counter attacking football and the emphasis on wingers (although CR is an example of a pure winger turned into a all rounds goal-scorer) rather than proper strikers.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I meant national team it was in major tournaments like Euros or WCup and not just qualifying rounds. As good a player he is, quite often he fails to deliver in important games with his country. Their tactics don't help either..by only setting up for counter attacking football and the emphasis on wingers (although CR is an example of a pure winger turned into a all rounds goal-scorer) rather than proper strikers.
well as opposed to games like Cricket where one individual performance can very much lead you to victory, Football is a team game (more so at the very highest level). If you are playing mediocre teams then yes, one player can still difference (but you will still need a good team built around that player) but against top teams (like Germany) you need a team of great players! Portugal do not have such players. At least one world class striker and a world class goal keeper is indispensable if you want to win tournaments.

CR was good in the game against Germany and setup chances for his team mates. On an another day Portugal might have won that game. It was not their day just like the Dutch. I thought Germany were uncharacteristically poor on that day!
Old 11th June 2012, 11:43   #50
BHPian

I perfectly well understand how football works (and how it is different to cricket). On a side note, while having a debate with a friend about the "value" of Tendulkar's performances for India (me being SRT's critic), he said Cricket is very different to Football (which I love more than anything else) as in football a single world class player can often turn matches while a great batsman can't do that if there are not enough good players to bat along side him..

Anyways lets leave it at that, I know how forum 'discussions' on sports turn out being a member of a forum for a decade. So lets agree to disagree regards to CR7s role in Portugal's fortunes..This might be a tasty and good debate in person though rather than typing over and over..I see you are Bangalore..I will be in Bangy on Friday too :
Old 11th June 2012, 12:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyways lets leave it at that, I know how forum 'discussions' on sports turn out being a member of a forum for a decade. So lets agree to disagree regards to CR7s role in Portugal's fortunes..This might be a tasty and good debate in person though rather than typing over and over..I see you are Bangalore..I will be in Bangy on Friday too :
Well I am no longer a CR fan, being a Man Utd supporter! I am also not even rooting for Portugal, never did that. My international team is Holland, for it was there I cultivated an interest in Football. I am rooting for them only in this Euro. I am not much in international football though.
Old 11th June 2012, 15:42   #52
BHPian

Last night was quite a surprise for me. I didn't expect Italy to be attacking so much! I think they had more "serious" chances than Spain.

Very quiet start for both the favorites - Spain & Germany!

Quote:
...he said Cricket is very different to Football (which I love more than anything else) as in football a single world class player can often turn matches while a great batsman can't do that if there are not enough good players to bat along side him..
I think it's the other way round! A single player can make a "HUGE" difference in Cricket. For instance, remember the era (not so long ago) when a billion fans used to rest their hopes on just a single player and the player in turn used to deliver alone?? That's not the case in Football; a single Messi or Ronaldo cannot take the team to victory single-handedly.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:35   #53
BHPian

The match between Italy and Spain was a treat to watch especially in second half.Italy probably sensed that they have chance to win the match after watching Spain lacking the goal scoring effort.Even though I voted for Spain, I won't mind if either Holland or Russia wins Euro12.Both of these teams have underachieved on international scene.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Germans team spirit, discipline, hard work seemed to be the hallmark in the win against the Dutch!

Cheers!
Old 14th June 2012, 12:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

One of my favourites Holland is out. So all my hopes are not pinned on to Spain.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

What a horrible day for a player like Ronaldo. No commitment to the team, as a captain people expect more!
Old 14th June 2012, 14:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10
Germans team spirit, discipline, hard work seemed to be the hallmark in the win against the Dutch!

Cheers!
imagine what will happen when Podolski, Ozil and Miroslav Klose will be in full swing!! THey're warming up!!! how can i forget Schweinsteiger!!!
Old 16th June 2012, 12:09   #58
vij
BHPian

The upcoming Portugal Vs Netherlands match will be interesting. Cant wait for that one. Great players on both sides. A draw is on the cards. Waiting to see Ronaldo in action. He plays to the galleries doesnt he

There's been lot of virtual betting happening lol
EURO 2012: Portugal vs Netherlands | The Entertainment Forum (TEF)
Old 17th June 2012, 10:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Was just watching the replay of the Greece Vs Russia match. What a boring affair. good that i did not sit up for this. I will never forgive greece for the most boring spectacle they provided during the 2004 final, when my sunday night's sleep was lost

The Russians seemed a far cry from the fast moving enterprising team led by Hiddink of last Euro. Still, it is sad to see them go

Tonight, hope to see a cracker in Denmark Vs Portugal
Old 17th June 2012, 15:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Was just watching the replay of the Greece Vs Russia match. What a boring affair. good that i did not sit up for this. I will never forgive greece for the most boring spectacle they provided during the 2004 final, when my sunday night's sleep was lost

The Russians seemed a far cry from the fast moving enterprising team led by Hiddink of last Euro. Still, it is sad to see them go

Tonight, hope to see a cracker in Denmark Vs Portugal
I guess you mentioning about Netherlands vs Portugal match today. Netherlands is almost out of the tournament. Not sure what the outcome in todays match is going to bring for the Dutch. But no doubt that today's match should be interesting at least for Portugal because they just need to win to qualify. If lady luck smiles at the Dutch like it did for the CSK in this years IPL, the Dutch may move ahead.

Seems like even the Dutch have a chance to qualify and at the same time, even the Germans can loose out. Here is the equation:

http://www.espnstar.com/football/eur...tion-equation/

Last edited by joe1980 : 17th June 2012 at 15:45.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks