Financial difficulty due to maintenance costs 6 4.14%
Boredom from the car 12 8.28%
I do NOT regret buying my car 111 76.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Reality bites! - The car purchase you wish you hadn't

This thread is about the car buying decision you regret.
However this thread is not about the regret caused due to a poor quality product itself or bad service, but the regret caused due:

1) Financial difficulty due to EMIs of new car
2) Financial difficulty due to rising price of fuel
3) Financial difficulty due to maintenance of the car
4) Boredom from car

The poll is anonymous.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reality bites! - The car purchase you wish you hadn't

Nice Thread!!!
I don't regret my car buying decision so voted for last option as I generally spend 3-6 months before taking the final plunge.
At the same time I would have voted yes if "Regret due to more discounts/better deals available now on the car I bought or skipped".
Reason : T-Jet is available for 60-75K more discount than what I got 3 months ago.

It will be interesting to see the poll results as what I have seen about human mentality is that it is not very easy to accept and admit your mistakes. Proof of the same, Sun control film thread.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th June 2012 at 13:47.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:54   #3
BHPian

I planned for 3 years before I bought the new car. Just wanted to be asbolutely sure that I do not have a monkey on my back for 5 years!

Thank God for the car, loving the Cruze!
BH.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have some regret on the timing of my car purchase. I purchased my i10 in Jan 2009. Withing 1-2 years of my car purchase, 2 major changes happened in the auto industry:
1. BS4 regulations were enforced (whereas mine is BS3)
2. Petrol prices were deregulated by the government

I was initially planning to buy WagonR duo or Santro eco (LPG variants). But in Jan 2009, there was a negligible difference in the running cost between petrol and LPG (Re 0.5 per km, as per my calculations).

i10 1.1 Era cost me approximately the same as the 2 above mentioned cars and but feels like a segment higher.

Buying a diesel car was totally out of question for my low running (<500 km per month).

If I had any clue about deregulation of petrol prices, I would have purchased a cheaper petrol car like Alto or a car with LPG option or a diesel car like Indica.

Rohan
Old 19th June 2012, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what Rohan said. For the first couple of years I absolutely did not regret buying the Fiesta petrol but now everytime I go a petrol bunk the thought inadverently comes to my mind "should have bought the diesel car, atleast Fiesta Diesel". But become normal when I think of 1L I saved by buying a petrol car.

If I have a rewind button or some time travel device, I would go back and buy the Fiesta diesel.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very encouraging result, where 76% say they do not regret their buying decision. I wish the percentage was higher and close to 95%, but you cannot have everything.

If more people researched on Team BHP (Or forums like Team BHP), and read the First time Car buyer guide that was published, i am sure the satisfaction levels from the car purchase would be much higher.

BTW, i have always been very happy with all my car purchases in the past.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
This thread is about the car buying decision you regret.
However this thread is not about the regret caused due to a poor quality product itself or bad service, but the regret caused due:
How about adding:
- timing of purchase. If I had waited for a few months, I would have saved around 50K on buying a preowned Jazz.
- parking issues. I have more cars than I need. But selling a petrol car now will be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Touchwood, I dont have any financial difficulties from buying my cars but would have been happier with a more informed purchase.

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th June 2012 at 14:58.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Even I don't regret buying a car as I always research on Team-BHP and other sites before moving on! I usually prefer to think 1000 times before getting a move on!

Good to see that many people don't regret the purchase of their car!

S@ndy
Old 19th June 2012, 14:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

My choice - Boredom from the car.

Applies only to the Altis and not Figo. The Altis is boring to the core and absolutely no fun to drive. On a weekend, my hands always go for the Figo's key over the Toyota's.

I don't really regret getting the Altis for dad since it's perfect for him but an absolute bore for me. On weekends I look at driving something different but can never get down taking the Altis out. Moreover it's a petrol
Old 19th June 2012, 15:16   #10
F50
Senior - BHPian

When I bought the Swift Vdi in '08, I would say financial difficulty restricted me to Swift. Whereas I was inclined towards Getz Crdi but spending 1.5L extra was tough. I just don't like Marutis.

But after 4 years and 65,000 kms, I click 'I do not regret buying my car' because White Mischief has NEVER failed to put a smile on my face.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:39   #11
BHPian

Voted for "I don't regret my decision of buying a car". Yes, you do get a bit financially tightened (applies to me), but it is all worth for the bliss that's called driving!

PS: When I had bought a Swift LXi in 2008, although I loved driving it, I would regret the decision sometimes as it had fully tightened the screws of my pocket.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

I have not even come close to 1% of what my bike (03 thunderbird) is capable off. So she still has a lot of things in store for me.

My car (04 Wagon R) was bought in 06. We have had some fantastic drives. Just a month back I got the sad news of a dear relative passing away. The car took me on a sudden 2,000 km road trip without any issues.

The only place I get bored with my car is on the Outer Ring Road Hyderabad. But thankfully the speed limit of 120 kmph is just about the limit of my car. So even if she could go faster...I don't have any road for it. And since she cannot go any faster its like an automatic self limiter.

My cycle is still young. Just over 2,500 kms on it. Too early to be bored with it. Plus the engine is quite useless. So a better cycle does not mean any great improvement.

Last edited by bblost : 19th June 2012 at 15:51.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:57   #13
BHPian

No regrets.

I bought my Vento TDI Highline in March 2012 and ensured I made full payment before the budget day. Hence, the excise hike did not affect me. Moreover, it is diesel. So, high mileage and less pick up cost. As far as EMI is concerned, I was prepared for it and budgeted accordingly.

With increasing prices of diesel cars, I feel the resale value of my car would go up down the line. Same car I bought for 10.8L is now selling for above 11.2L which might again go up.

So, all diesel car buyers today will be in win-win situation. But you have to act now

Regards,
Aniket
Old 19th June 2012, 18:28   #14
BANNED

No regrets.

When I brought Hariya (Mahindra Scorpio) home, I never knew that life with him would lead me to so many places, friends, and experiences.

Yes, I wish he was more fuel efficient and had a 4wd but that is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2012 at 16:10. Reason: Please specify the car. Not everyone knows who Hariya is. Thank you
Old 19th June 2012, 19:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for B. It is a qualified response: SOME financial difficulty due to rising fuel costs.

I bought my Swift petrol used @ 30,000 km and 40,000 km later it still feels like the day I bought it. Have plonked in a nice music system, some killer alloys and taken care of the routine maintenance- and it has served me beautifully. Don't regret the purchase at all- but there is a tinge of remorse that I didn't sell it off earlier- now it will fetch me a pittance!

The Vento AT was purchased after much agonising over whether diesel economy meant more to me than the comfort of a slushbox. No regrets over what I chose at all: it is fantastically convenient in rush hour and offers total peace of mind. Only regret is that they didn't offer the diesel variant with an AT instead.

I have to be honest: I covered 30,000 km last year. Assuming I cover the same distance this year that is close to 2.4 lacs in fuel costs alone which is just ridiculous. A diesel would cost about HALF that to run.

Hence the residual regret.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks