Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 13:05   #16
BHPian

re: Can a mother of a young kid be transferred at work?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2012 at 16:18.
MillionSwords is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th June 2012, 13:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I don't think any law can help you with a pregnancy that occurred 1.5 years ago. Even government offices give leave only only 3 or max 6 months. So that option is pretty much out of question. And thinking from the company's point of view, I think that the fact that they allowed 18 months leave is a good gesture already. Expecting them to keep on continuing the favors or making them act the way that is best for you by going any legal way is not a good return behavior from you.

Going by the manager's approach described by you, I am sorry to say but it seems that the current situation is intentional by him. You are forced to leave by giving you an option that is difficult to choose.

I second above opinion, of shifting to Mumbai till the job is critical, or till she finds another job in Chennai itself. There are many day care centers that handle children above 1 year very well, and this is something a working couple has to accept. All the best for your future.
She is not on leave.
She joined back office after 4 months or so after delivery.
She has been working for the past 1 year or more after delivery,

Now our only issue is that, the baby cannot be all of its own without grandparent's watchful eyes. She has the habit of putting things in her mouth. and she is a precious baby.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
She is not on leave.
She joined back office after 4 months or so after delivery.
She has been working for the past 1 year or more after delivery,

Now our only issue is that, the baby cannot be all of its own without grandparent's watchful eyes. She has the habit of putting things in her mouth. and she is a precious baby.
I apologize for assuming her to be on leave for 1.5 years. I have replied your PM, all the best in using the strategies. Diplomacy and tact are only things that can help you in best way possible now. All the best.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moving: If that is the case; I have to wind up all my Business and find a job in Bombay.
If you are willing to take up a job for sometime, why dont you do that where you are currently located? You can do that till your wife finds another job in your city. In the meanwhile perhaps she could help you in running your business.
Too many assumptions there, but just a suggestion to help you avoid the move. I wish you well.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I apologize for assuming her to be on leave for 1.5 years. I have replied your PM, all the best in using the strategies. Diplomacy and tact are only things that can help you in best way possible now. All the best.
Thank you AniMeher. We can only ask for some more time. We cannot continue here in the same department. The department is pulling up their socks and are into a lot of training and stuff. So it is better for them to have the resources under their nose.... but the notice is too short when they knew this is how it was supposed to be.

The old department should have taken her in post.pregnancy, Instead they filled her in this place when there was an urgent opening. She learnt the intricacies fast and helped them, now they disown her (both departments)....

Quote:
Quote:
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Hi GTO,

If that post was deleted for some reason, please send me the post to PM with the reason. I would correct it and re post. I guess from your PM that the post was deleted for using the "Quote" and Bold

Please send me the typed message, I forgot what I had typed. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If you are willing to take up a job for sometime, why dont you do that where you are currently located? You can do that till your wife finds another job in your city. In the meanwhile perhaps she could help you in running your business.
Too many assumptions there, but just a suggestion to help you avoid the move. I wish you well.
I'm willing. But after a break of few years with business and all, I wonder how soon would I would get a job. That too in the I.T project management/Online marketing area!

Last edited by Samurai : 20th June 2012 at 17:46. Reason: back-to-back post. Learn to use multi-quote feature
Old 20th June 2012, 16:38   #21
lsp
BHPian

Re: Can a mother of a young kid be transferred at work?

- Start looking for a job ASAP

- Evaluate the money you would be getting from EPF, Superannuation and Gratuity as suggested my Mayank Jha. Keep in mind that Mumbai is not a cheap city to live in. The cost of living combined with the fact that you need to spend in day care for your child will subtantially reduce the savings each month from your wife's salary. Also consider that if your wife goes to Mumbai you would have to devote a lot of time looking after ailing parents since there is no one else at home (I presume). Your business may (God forbid) take a further beating.

- Assuming you decide to quit and your wife tenders her resignation and the notice period is a standard one month - In some companies there is a rule that the (notice period) final seperation date gets extended if you avail leaves during the notice period. I don't think that there would be much leaves your wife would have accumalated in the last 1~1.5 years but if she has, then she may utilize them to extend her notice period. (This is really an ethically gray area).

- Also think about what if the company asks her to shift further north after few months?

Good luck!!
Old 20th June 2012, 16:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
- Start looking for a job ASAP

- Evaluate the money you would be getting from EPF, Superannuation and Gratuity as suggested my Mayank Jha. Keep in mind that Mumbai is not a cheap city to live in. The cost of living combined with the fact that you need to spend in day care for your child will subtantially reduce the savings each month from your wife's salary. Also consider that if your wife goes to Mumbai you would have to devote a lot of time looking after ailing parents since there is no one else at home (I presume). Your business may (God forbid) take a further beating.

- Assuming you decide to quit and your wife tenders her resignation and the notice period is a standard one month - In some companies there is a rule that the (notice period) final seperation date gets extended if you avail leaves during the notice period. I don't think that there would be much leaves your wife would have accumalated in the last 1~1.5 years but if she has, then she may utilize them to extend her notice period. (This is really an ethically gray area).

- Also think about what if the company asks her to shift further north after few months?

Good luck!!
Yeah Lalith,

Need to plan things up. No more irresponsible moves. Further North wont happen, the Bank has it's Hub in Bombay and everything Happens in Bombay, they only move people from other cities to Bombay I presume!

Fingers Crossed!
Old 20th June 2012, 20:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

MS,

You really are in a tough place.

I can tell you that we are about to put our little devil (1 year almost) into day care and we are losing hair and time over a good quality one that has:
a. Affordable rates
b. Good staff (separate teachers, attendants, maids)
c. Good environs (as clean as our house!)
d. Good food (we cannot pack 5 different items as he is used to having at home)
e. Other kids who stay ~8-10 hours like our kid will stay (kid staying alone for 3 odd hours will be quite painful)
f. No nonsense (some have asked us for a custom sized bedsheet and quilts on a daily/weekly basis for the kid to sleep)
g. Flexible timings (we have chosen something from 0830 to 1930)

Our final cost will be somewhere like 13-14k per month, excluding any additional transport costs. This is Gurgaon - i dont expect any quality place in Mumbai to be much cheaper (unless company has an arrangement)

So include such costs in your calculation as well. Its easier said than done.

Better that she can stay with relatives or in a PG for a few months till she can find a job back in Chennai. Taking up a 2bhk in mumbai will take up alot of upfront deposit which is again a lot of cash to pony up if she wants to return back soon.

edit: ask her not to leave job in a hurry. lowers employability and salary negotiation and makes others wonder if there was any competence issue, not to mention that it can become a job break (which leaves a hole in your finances)

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th June 2012 at 20:21.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:22   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Since the query at the start of the thread has been addressed, this discussion is closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks