Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2006, 18:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I can well understand the resentment the local population have towards the "outsiders". I notice that the population that moves into BLR wastes very little time in denigrating its ways. Not a day goes by without a crib or rant against something or the other. Funny, because these people come to Bangalore to escape their hometowns, which do not afford them education/employment as they wish.
Of all the posts on this thread, this is the one that hurt me the most. Sorry v1p3r, but thats a fact. Not because of what you said but because of what your post indicates.

I am one of those so called "outsiders". first of all i resent that term. isnt bangalore still a part of india? isnt my hometown still a part of india? Do i need to apply for a visa to travel from Punjab to Karnataka? Then why am i looked upon as an "outsider" ?

No my friend... the issues are deeper than the cribbing of what u call "outsiders". Let me tell u... these IT companies are more than willing to employ the "local" population than to hire people from other states. Why? simple reason being the companies dont have to pay for their relocation. Economics my friend... is the basic principal. If the so called "local" population had bothered to stay in school, get a decent education, they would have been lapped up by the IT and the BPO industry in bangalore by now.
These unemployed people of bangalore would have remained unemployed had they been in any part of india...only because they didnt bother to get a decent education. Its just that we are an easy scapegoat for these people because we lack the numbers and because we refuse to stoop to their level.

Anyways... i am going to emigrate sooner or later. Heck call me an escapist but i dont give a damn. I dont see any future for me or for my kids at least in this country where moving from one state to another gets u labelled as an outsider... where my kids will have to compete for only 50% of the seats to get into a reputable institute... where going to a Brand India Expo can get me and my family burnt alive just coz it took two hours for the fire brigade to get to the biggest exhibition in town... where reservation in the private sector is just around the corner.

These recent riots in Bangalore have been a wake up call for me.

My hunt for a better life begins now...

Wish me luck!
Amitoj
Old 16th April 2006, 18:27   #107
Team-BHP Support

Amitoj, this is what Rudra was afraid will happen. We don't want this thread turn into one of those socil/political discussion about Bangalore demograph.

I think most of us have lived in places where we were considered by some as outsiders. Don't take it to heart, you can't make everybody happy.

I lived close to New york during the Twin tower attack, and most of those 19 Arabs terrorists looked like Indians. Imagine the looks we used to get...
Old 16th April 2006, 18:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Woops... i knew i was going off topic...
but like i said in my pm to u.... tbhp is like my best friend to me... couldnt help it....
Apologies...

Amitoj
Old 16th April 2006, 18:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Goldie, my apologies if I offended you. My parents moved here as "outsiders" and my surname is very much north Indian.

I would try and explain what I mean, but on the forum it will get messy. Call me.

ps. if you move away, can I have your car?!
Old 16th April 2006, 19:54   #110
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
ps. if you move away, can I have your car?!
On a lighter note , u cant .. I am the 1st person on that list .. Amitoj bhai has been moved up ahead by a few places on the adoption list ..

PS : Sorry for going totally OT ..
Old 16th April 2006, 20:29   #111
Ram
Senior - BHPian

As you sow, so shall you reap!

Dear Manish:
A fantastic and thought-provoking post.
Your thoughts are very transparent and well articulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Add me to the list of lamentors for the down-fall of Bombay in the infotech arena..

…I left mumbai in disgust a few years back and landed up in another soup called bangalore. I still miss those good old days in Mumbai.
I empathise with you. I left Bombay several times, for Singapore, for Calcutta and most recently for Pune. Returned home everytime in one hundred percent agreement, that there's no place like Mumbai.

Quote:
And at the risk of politicising the matter, the credit should go to the shiv-sena government of the early nineties.. I remember reading in the news somewhere that Investors coming to mumbai, were so much peeved off the govt attitude in maharashtra that they started looking elsewhere. Dabhol Power Corporation added Fuel to the Fire. And thats when a smart Chandra-Babu Naidu, saw and seized the opportunity by laying out a red-carpet to investors in Hyderabad and we saw the rise of Hyderabad. Bangalore followed suite during the time of S.M.Krishna..
Chandra-Babu Naidu and S.M.Krishna have indeed rendered yeoman service to their lands and transformed the landscape.
Old 16th April 2006, 20:31   #112
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Where are we headed?

Manish, you are spot-on! Bangalore has changed. Not every son of the soil likes the changes, esp. the property prices.

Quote:
Well, you've got to see it in the right perspective. Bangalore 10 years back was totally different than what it is now. TI, Motorola and Tektronics, were amongst the first MNCs to set-up shop in Bangalore influenced by a good work-force, low-cost of living and setting up a business and an exquisitely relaxed weather. One of the important criteria could have been to poach the amazing talents from India's finest defense labs by paying more money.. Add to that the non-chalant, relaxed attitude of the localites and you have all the right ingredients for a creative relaxed mind. Bangalore was never supposed/meant to be a cosmopolitan, but a peaceful, lovely small virgin town.

Fast forward to year 2006, when you have the who's who of tech-business setting up shops in bangalore, swanky highways and fly-overs. Glittering Malls and Dazzling Restaurants, prices and expenses rocketing up. Almost everybody trying to make a quick buck or two. (Evidence: Look at the rise in house rents and property prices). Suddenly, you have the old inhabitants of bangalore living in areas like Malleswaram, Sadashivnagar, R.T Nagar, Gandhi-Nagar, Rajaji Nagar, etc feeling insecured and simmering with anger and hatred and indifference towards swathes of migrating population. So much so that these population can barely afford to live in their own city. These people just need a trigger to vent their anger and they would be looking at the smallest provocation to repeat the incidents again.
I first saw Bangalore in 1972 when it was the dreamflower fairyland.
It's really sad to see the rape of a peaceful, lovely small virgin town by swanky flybridges, multiplexes, malls and the profane hire-n-fire culture, so alien to our milieu.

That said, we are very much a nation characterized with blind-hero worship.
Some folks actually keep pictures of their boss and his wife
or worse yet, some film artiste, juxtaposed with the gods in their private temple.
Doesn't this take hero-worship to the limits?

Last edited by Ram : 16th April 2006 at 20:49.
Old 16th April 2006, 20:33   #113
Ram
Senior - BHPian

A trivial event, can evaporate the thin veneer of refinement

Quote:
And mind you, we should not see the case in Bangalore in isolation. The same thing can happen anywhere in India. Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai and Noida being the most susceptible followed by Pune, Gurgaon and other places.
I'm grateful to God, I live in Mumbai and not in some electricity- and infrastructure-starved boon-docks filled with mentally challenged apples.

Quote:
I believe the central government is all too aware of these sentiments and their aftermath and is encouraging setting up of SEZ's across India. The advantage of setting up an SEZ is that you don't disturb the existing culture of a town/city and that the planning of a township from ground-zero is much easier though a bit more expensive. I believe that with the new SEZ offered to Reliance near Navi-Mumbai should turn the tide back to where it originated from. I hope somebody from the Government of Maharashtra is following this thread..

We need to think about a holistic approach to this problem, and I agree with Zappo that one cannot just resort to use of force to tackle this problem. Use of force would become fodder for an even more dreadful event in the future.
SEZs may be one answer. Then again, we live in troubled times. The pains of growth can bring frustrations to flash point, as they’ve done here.

Thanks for bringing some perspective here, Manish. Amen, we do need a holistic approach!

Last edited by Ram : 16th April 2006 at 20:48.
Old 16th April 2006, 20:39   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Wrong. Ajmat stays there and his Honda’s rear screen is smashed. Car was parked inside his building compound and covered.
This is what they did

Went along with Rudra and Jaggu to get it replaced by Windsheild experts - could not be bothered to go all the way to Whitefield and wait for an appontment. Cost me Rs 4700 all inclusive. Car interior cleaned up. As a comparison:

Accord Windscreen = Rs 17000
Skoda Octavia Front - Rs 14000, Rear Rs 11000
Toyota Corolla - Front Rs 9000
Optra = Front Rs 11000 Rear Rs 10000

No quotes for iiiiiiiiimports like Mondy's and CRV's - get jacked by the dealer. Left car at 10.00am As aother car blocked their entrance - they had to wait till 11.00 but promptly rang me at 12.30 to collect car.

Having removed the cover, I realised that there is a small dent in the roof. As rains have started and am better off not claiming insurance. No big deal for now
Old 16th April 2006, 20:44   #115
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, let me add to my previous post that its not just in Bangalore or Mumbai where people get upset with the shift in momentum. Look at the BPO backlash in countries like the US and UK. Also look at the resentment our software engineers face in the US of A. And you get the picture.
Spoken like an Alvin Toffler! Congrats again.

The psychological state of Future shock affects (afflicts?) individuals and entire societies.

Alvin Toffler introduced this concept in his 1970 book, Future Shock. The book sold over 6 million copies and has been widely translated.

Toffler's shortest definition of future shock is a personal perception of
too much change in too short a period of time.

He argues that society is undergoing an enormous structural change.

This change will overwhelm people, the accelerated rate of technological and social change will leave them disconnected, suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation" - future shocked.

Toffler stated that the majority of social problems were symptoms of the future shock. In his discussion of the components of such shock, he also coined the term information overload.

Deja vu?
Old 16th April 2006, 20:52   #116
Team-BHP Support

man23ish and ram, great discussion there. But isn't it off topic here?

Probably one could start a new thread on these thoughts.
Old 16th April 2006, 22:27   #117
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Thank God the BMW 740 was not there
Lucky you.... the BMW was not there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
on a lighter note Ajmat... looks more like the work of Nike fans rather than Rajkumar's fans.... can be used by Nike people for their Ad's.

PS : i stay near the Hockey stadium... no such violence seen here.
Old 16th April 2006, 22:42   #118
BHPian

Wonder what will happen if RAJINIKANT dies in Tamil Nadu.
I cant even imagine the scenes.
Old 16th April 2006, 22:42   #119
BHPian

i think the police should be give full rights to fire on sight
and that too straight to the head not the legs this has become a comman feature in india right now, one that took place in navi mumbai some time back and right now in bglore then latter some politician will come and try to get the max mileage out of it i think people should not hold the state or the country at ransom
Old 16th April 2006, 22:48   #120
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
i think the police should be give full rights to fire on sight
not as easy as you think dude... sensitive matters... to be handled with care, but effectively ofcourse.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks