Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2006, 22:56   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
not as easy as you think dude... sensitive matters... to be handled with care, but effectively ofcourse.
thats what jay nowadays people think its a sensitive matter so we have got full rights to play havoc dont give a damn to law of the state or the country and anyways the media is right there to show the police attrocities barring to show what caused the police to react
Old 16th April 2006, 23:15   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Spoken like an Alvin Toffler! Congrats again.
Thanks Ram, but i haven't read Alvin Toffler yet !! These are my original thoughts inspired by what i've seen and felt myself.. I try to put myself in the other person's shoes before making a comment..

And i wasn't even born when Mr Toffler wrote that book.. But i am curious to read more about it now that you've mentioned him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
man23ish and ram, great discussion there. But isn't it off topic here?
I am sorry, if i went off-topic.. But i was just putting my thoughts behind the reason for all the trouble following Rajkumar's death and likelyhood of such events happening in future.. If you think, it was off-topic, i've got nothing more to say on this topic..

Manish
Old 16th April 2006, 23:50   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
I'm grateful to God, I live in Mumbai and not in some electricity- and infrastructure-starved boon-docks filled with mentally challenged apples.
Just you wait till Bal Thackeray dies. And even worse, if someone suspects foul play.

We all know Mumbai is nice, but we don't live in boondocks with mentally challenged apples, so maybe you shouldn't really be saying that..

ps. doesn't Salman Khan call Mumbai home?
Old 17th April 2006, 00:01   #124

Sweeping Statements Again

I am writing this reply to the post by amitoj. Are we to understand that the " so called local" people do not have decent education and are not a part of the IT/BPO industry? I can assure you that there are a large number of localites who are contributing the growth of IT industry. Do i detect a touch of disdain towards local population? It is exactly this kind of reaction that is bound to create friction. It is important to respect the local culture while one is away from our home. I learnt malayalam when i stayed in kerala. We used to celebrate vishu and onam with other families. One may call these as symbolic but they go a long way in harmonising the relationship between two cultures.If one cannot respect the local culture ,the least one can do is not to treat them with disdain.
Old 17th April 2006, 01:10   #125
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
We all know Mumbai is nice, but we don't live in boondocks with mentally challenged apples, so maybe you shouldn't really be saying that..

ps. doesn't Salman Khan call Mumbai home?
v1p3r, please don't take offense! I was not pointing out any particular town when I meant boondocks.

It does bother me that many of the so-called big IT towns, routinely have power-shedding, which brings failing water-supply and frequent Internet broadband outages. This we rarely, if ever, see in Mumbai city.

And when I refer to infrastructure, I'm talking about the excellent BEST buses and electric multiple-unit (EMU) trains on the central, western and harbour lines that run to strict timings. No other city or town in India comes anywhere close to it.

As far as traffic-maturity and the work-ethic is concerned, the highest maturity in India is found only in Mumbai.

This includes respecting traffic signals and banned right turns (even if no traffic cop is around). respecting lane discipline, U-turn discipline. In these respects, Mumbai is better than any other city of India.

And they don't close a main road because some celebrity has died. Not even the head of state.

Just suspicion of anything is not going to cause a full-scale riot in the city. There is more than a little more moderation and collective maturity to be found here, as compared to many other upcountry urban areas of India.

And while due course of law will punish Salman Khan's misdemeanors, the world's largest film industry does call Mumbai home.
Old 17th April 2006, 02:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I am told, and I do believe that Mumbai has on the whole a much higher level of civic consciousness than most of India. But you make it sound like Singapore or Stockholm. It pains me to point out the unwarranted flooding and paralysis that occured last year. I was told by Mumbaikars that this was the direct result of the callousness of civic authorities, powerful builders, and the common man.

Anyway, let us try and not hijack this thread into an OT debate. We all love our cities (though I hate the idiots who run mine).

ps very well written, ram, and I expected it!
Old 17th April 2006, 07:58   #127
Team-BHP Support

Looks like this thread’s discussions have come to a natural end.

Let’s hope this city has learnt a lesson from this ugly incident.

This is closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks