Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2006, 14:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help me decide my UG Degree!!!

I am in a bit of a confused state.

The time has come to decide the Undergraduation degree I am going to pursue, and one of the options I am considering is Automobile Engineering.

My heart certainly lies only in automobiles. So it seems natural to pick automobile engineering. buuuuuutttt........

Some time ago, I didnt hear many ( or make that any) good things about automobile engineering in Indian colleges. ( poor facilities, bad faculty etc etc). But since many developments have been happening in the automobile industry in the past 5 years or so, I want to know if the courses are any better, and if it is worth doing the degree, whether I will really benefit form it.

Are the facilities better? Are there more oppurtunities, better placements etc for people who have done Automobile engineering? Do colleges really stay in touch with the industry, and keep pace with its developements?

I am confused, and I urgently need some advice on this front, and fast!! Please help me guys!!

Cheers,
Islero

Last edited by islero : 15th April 2006 at 14:47.
Old 15th April 2006, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which is the group you had opted in your school
Old 15th April 2006, 19:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero

Some time ago, I didnt hear many ( or make that any) good things about automobile engineering in Indian colleges. ( poor facilities, bad faculty etc etc). But since many developments have been happening in the automobile industry in the past 5 years or so, I want to know if the courses are any better, and if it is worth doing the degree, whether I will really benefit form it.
Whether you will benefit from it or not, is what you will have to scrutinize for yourself. There is an insane amount of paperwork that has to go around in my course, affiliated to Mumbai University, along with pampering professor's egos and extremely comprehensive syllabus and tiny semesters, leave no time for , errr, learning of any sort, except the type that happens by rote. Though your views may not necessarily agree with mine. My point of view is with reference to the Mumbai University only. I am not aware about how many credible universities are out there, and quite a few autonomous ones out there too, I wouldn't tread a 100 miles close to those. I am told, that MU still holds it's own, when you look for education elsewhere, later. Also there are no differences between the Automobile and Mechanical Engineering courses, until the 6 th semester onwards. Can get pretty frustating sometimes.

I believe Hindustan College of Engineering does offer the course down south, I think in or around Chennai, not too sure.
Quote:
Are the facilities better?
No. My college labs are pretty archaic. Spruced up once in a while, when some committee visits, so that they can justify higher fees.

Quote:
Are there more oppurtunities, better placements etc for people who have done Automobile engineering?
The opportunities are there, companies are not really anal about Automobile Engineering degrees as such, they usually come with common placement programs for Automobile and Mechanical point of view.

Quote:
Do colleges really stay in touch with the industry, and keep pace with its developements?
Not really. Half-hearted attempts are made, a lot sounds good only on paper. They struggle to keep pace with the developments. It's more upto your effort to update yourself along with maybe one odd professor who really gives a damn.
Old 15th April 2006, 19:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply ported_head.

I am anyway going to enquire and get feedback form a few students doing automobile engineering in the college I want to consider. Depending on what they say, I will join.

And as you say, the facilities/satisfaction may vary form college to college, I must keep that in mind.
Old 15th April 2006, 20:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dont go for automobile engg...theres nothing good out there. Go for ME or EE and try to get into a top college. IIT if you can.
Old 15th April 2006, 20:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

I know a couple of automobile engineers in my college who are now sales reps with car showrooms in kerala thats the situaltion with automobile engg. electrical engg is verymuch i demand and automobile engg is just a part of mech engg so if you are really interested in cars go for mech rather than automobile.
Old 15th April 2006, 21:46   #7
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Hey Islero,I see you are interested in designing, so why not try a design course.
I am trying to go in for a design course,if not I will do automobile engg.(just to gain knowledge) and then start my own street racing and customization shop !
Old 15th April 2006, 22:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Was just talking with some college students, even they are sayiing it depends on what place you do it at, and that one cant make conclusions just like that.

Hey SRK,
To be honest, I am not that much into design, man. I juyst have it as a hobby, I just like Pshoppin and sketching out my ideas. I dont think I come up with any proper usable ideas anyway!!! lol
Old 15th April 2006, 23:29   #9
BHPian

why dont you go for mech. eng. and then take automobiles as a post. grad. maybe in some other country.
Old 16th April 2006, 00:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

not all colleges are upto the mark for providing automobile engg. course.
but if u give try at something like hindustan college in chennai or some other reputed one then its worth.
if intrested in auto designing u can go in for designing course at NID a'bad.
if you wanna go for 4 yrs automotive management course ,there is course at mohali offered by canadian automotive inst.its worth chking out.
anywayz watever decide wisely.
all the best
Old 16th April 2006, 00:06   #11
BHPian

I agree with most of the people here...

Get a Btech Mechanical Engg from one of the good Engineering Colleges ( IITs, RECs)...first..
Then u can do a MS in Automobile Engg or related courses in USA/abroad...
or Mtech in IITs

In case things dont work out, u can always fall back on your Btech degree in Mech Engg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks