Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 23:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Table Tennis anyone ?

Finally bought it.

Joola Carbon Ply - Rs 1400
Mark V Rubber for the Forehand - Rs 1000
RITC 729 Rubber for the Backhand - Rs 350. Will be changing this one I guess in some time.

Still not used to it - have trouble controlling the speed.

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Table Tennis anyone ?-1.jpg  

Table Tennis anyone ?-2.jpg  

Table Tennis anyone ?-3.jpg  

Table Tennis anyone ?-4.jpg  

Table Tennis anyone ?-5.jpg  

Old 12th August 2012, 06:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go
Finally bought it.

RITC 729 Rubber for the Backhand - Rs 350. Will be changing this one I guess in some time.

Some pics
I had bought the Stiga in 1990 because it was lightweight and foreign and adapted my style accordingly. The Indian ones were heavy but cheap both in quality and cost. My suggestion would be to go and try various rackets and try to acquire the same make and quality.
My passion for the game was dampened after I saw an exhibition match by the Japanese in Town hall, Bangalore and my friends and colleagues were always interested in winning games rather than practicing.

Sigh...sigh...!

I have to build a hall, acquire a table and rackets as also partners willing to be coached in my village.

Smile to all
Rom
Old 13th August 2012, 11:21   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy alter.e.go! I'm looking for partners around my location to play table-tennis with during weekends. I'm in Mulund, Mumbai or in Baner, Pune during weekends. Kalidas Sports Complex in Mulund has good table tennis facilities but I'm not aware of any such facilities around Baner(Balewadi Sports Complex maybe?). Anyone interested?
Old 15th August 2012, 08:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom

I have to build a hall, acquire a table and rackets as also partners willing to be coached in my village.

Smile to all
Rom
I am just now downloading a free app for iPad "World Cup table tennis". Seems interesting. Will let you all know about it tomorrow.
Enjoy!

Rom
Old 15th August 2012, 13:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Folks, is there some 'club' where you can practice and learn Table Tennis around Jayanagar, JP nagar, Banashankari area? If yes, what is the fee structure etc? Also, are there any trainers in these places?

I used to play table tennis in office. Am not a beginner. But my game never improved beyond a certain level. I suspect the main reason is because they just play games in office. There is no scope for improvisation since your partner just wants to win the game.
Old 7th October 2012, 01:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

I just ordered robo-pong 1050 from newgy. After realizing that it's very difficult to get a partner on a regular basis, I think this would be the next best.

Let's see how it goes. I'll review and post if possible.
Old 7th October 2012, 05:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
I just ordered robo-pong 1050 from newgy. After realizing that it's very difficult to get a partner on a regular basis, I think this would be the next best.

Let's see how it goes. I'll review and post if possible.
Congrats!
You will be using it outside India?
Old 7th October 2012, 08:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom View Post
Congrats!
You will be using it outside India?
yes, i am in cincinnati.
Old 7th October 2012, 19:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

BTW, I found this, if it's not available in India.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...-tennis-robot/
Old 9th October 2012, 02:29   #25
lsp
BHPian

My first racket was a shield, I think I must have been in 3rd or 4th. I had difficulty reaching the ball at many times. It was green on one side & red on the other side. Silly me, knew nothing about the rubbers and wood at that time. Still don't. It was a used piece handed to me by a neighborhood 'bhaiya'. That guy was a champ, and he also supplemented his pocket money by making and selling rackets. I remember the rubber on his favorite racket being Mark V and Phantom.

Slowly lost it out. I am an ok player. Ofcourse can't compete with the top players but manage to strike the ball okish. After joining job in Mumbai I played a lot of TT as we had good facility in the office. But haven't been very regular in last few years. In my current office there is no TT setup. I hope they build one soon. Let me check with the admin dept if they have any such plans.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Folks, is there some 'club' where you can practice and learn Table Tennis around Jayanagar, JP nagar, Banashankari area? If yes, what is the fee structure etc? Also, are there any trainers in these places?

I used to play table tennis in office. Am not a beginner. But my game never improved beyond a certain level. I suspect the main reason is because they just play games in office. There is no scope for improvisation since your partner just wants to win the game.
Did you get to find a place? Please let me know.

I am a beginner but took a liking to TT offlate. I am looking for a club or something, preferably with a trainer around Bannerghatta Road, Jayanagar or JP nagar.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:19   #27
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Finally bought it.

Aaah, Nice One, Right when I thought why wasn't anyone mentioning Joola, you got one. Thats a good one. Let us know how it goes with the combination that you have put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
Congrats on your new buy alter.e.go! I'm looking for partners around my location to play table-tennis with during weekends. I'm in Mulund, Mumbai or in Baner, Pune during weekends. Kalidas Sports Complex in Mulund has good table tennis facilities but I'm not aware of any such facilities around Baner(Balewadi Sports Complex maybe?). Anyone interested?
Hi Naresh,

The ones in Balewadi Sports complex are awesome, however you cant go and play there on an hourly basis. You either need to be enrolled there on a monthly basis or for learning TT.

There is however a decent sorts table at Deccan, Besides Modern college, There are 2 tables at the facility. It is called PDMBA club. And most of the times you can get a booking for 30 bucks an hour. My society should be getting a table shortly (I stay in Balewadi), so maybe once that is in place I could invite you !!
Old 19th March 2013, 17:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
My society should be getting a table shortly (I stay in Balewadi), so maybe once that is in place I could invite you !!
Hi NMS,

Do you have the table set up in your society yet?
Old 19th March 2013, 22:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I am looking for a club or something, preferably with a trainer around Bannerghatta Road, Jayanagar or JP nagar.
So, did you find any TT clubs yet? I'm looking for the same too..Any recommendations for places around Koramangala for intermediate level players?
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:20   #30
BHPian

Folks - Good to know that a thread exists for Table tennis as well on TBHP

I have played a lot of TT in my life at various levels and even today, if I need to get some excercise, I spend a couple of hours of rigorous training and I get my excercise.

If anyone has any queries on TT with respect to what equipment / combination, what Blades, what rubbers, training, where to buy equipment etc in India or outside, please feel free to shoot questions.

I will be more than happy to suggest based on my experience.

Most Viewed