Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 15:52   #1681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
How many have seen the IDBI ad with a kid with elephant and..... a Land rover! BTW whos is the owner of that LR.
That's an African elephant in the ad, so it's a safe bet the Land Rover probably isn't Indian either.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:00   #1682
Senior - BHPian

The vodafone pay per second adverts are the best. Infact Vodafone adverts take the cake as far as Indian telecom companies go.
Old 25th November 2009, 22:19   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Probably the worst ad I have seen in recent ads - the i10 ad with SRK.
Old 29th November 2009, 23:05   #1684
Senior - BHPian

How about new Gillette ad? Worst ad I have seen in the recent past!!
Old 1st December 2009, 04:14   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
How many have seen the IDBI ad with a kid with elephant and..... a Land rover!

Its a beautifully made ad.

PS: BTW whos is the owner of that LR.
Appears that it was shot some where in South Africa.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:25   #1686
BHPian

Best and worst Ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Probably the worst ad I have seen in recent ads - the i10 ad with SRK.
YouTube - Hyundai i10 Ad
Check out the "Thumps up Ad". Akhsay kumar in a disintergrating car. A very bad one. At the end of the Ad you can see that Coco Cola owns Thumps-UP now.

I don't know if you all remember, "Thumps-Up" was created in the late 60's - early 70's to replace Coco Cola it was kicked out of India by the Government because they were multinationals. If my memory is correct, Mr. George Fernandes ( our Ex-Defence Minister) was one of the architects of this campaign.
Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:35   #1687
BHPian

The Best & Worst Ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Check out the "Thumps up Ad". Akhsay kumar in a disintergrating car. A very bad one. At the end of the Ad you can see that Coco Cola owns Thumps-UP now.

I don't know if you all remember, "Thumps-Up" was created in the late 60's - early 70's to replace Coco Cola when it was kicked out of India by the Government because they were multinationals. If my memory is correct, Mr. George Fernandes ( our Ex-Defence Minister) was one of the architects of this campaign.
Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The vodafone pay per second adverts are the best. Infact Vodafone adverts take the cake as far as Indian telecom companies go.
One of the best ever Ads is the old Hutch Mobile phone Ad " Our Network Follows you where ever you go", where the "DOG" follows the kid every where. I think now Vodafone hold the rights for that Ad as they bought out Hutch?. I have seen similar Ads recently, where the "DOG" helps the kid in which ever way he it can.

Again Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:30   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
How many have seen the IDBI ad with a kid with elephant and..... a Land rover!

Its a beautifully made ad.

PS: BTW whos is the owner of that LR.
That ad is not shot in India simply because the elephants shown are African elephants and not Asian (judging by the shape of the ears).
Old 1st December 2009, 14:38   #1689
Senior - BHPian

IMO the best advt is of that "SLEEPING BED". remember the guy wakes up and comes downt he stairs and washes the car(which is full of dirt)and then after cleaning it the owner of that car uses autocop and drives away and later on this guy sees his car parked behind the cleaned car. The advt was sound sleeping and if you don't have sound sleep all these things will happen
Old 1st December 2009, 15:03   #1690
Senior - BHPian

A quick query
In the max-new york advt, (embarrased teenage son on train with parents), isn't the Father Ghazni actor (the villian- Ghazni) ?
Old 1st December 2009, 17:42   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
A quick query
In the max-new york advt, (embarrased teenage son on train with parents), isn't the Father Ghazni actor (the villian- Ghazni) ?

No - he is the guy who was the father of the kid-hero in Taare Zameen Par.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:25   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I don't know if you all remember, "Thumps-Up" was created in the late 60's - early 70's to replace Coco Cola it was kicked out of India by the Government because they were multinationals. If my memory is correct, Mr. George Fernandes ( our Ex-Defence Minister) was one of the architects of this campaign.
The architect was George Fernandes all right, who was Minister for Industry under PM Morarji Desai. But this wasn't in the 60s; it happened when the Janata Party came to power in 1977. However, the Indian substitute wasn't Thums Up (that hit the scene a few years later), but an inspired offering called "Double Seven" cleverly named to commemorate the year of its launch.

Since this thread is on ads, I'd like to make a mention of the print ad for Double Seven, which was incredibly funny and risqué for its time. Even at the age of ten I found it giggle-worthy when I saw it in the Illustrated Weekly (now defunct). There's a scan of the entire ad here. It starts off like this:
Hey, See! I'm Tingling!
Let me tell you about a fantastic new way of enjoying yourself.
It's called Tingling.
Tingling is like laughter,only it isn't fattening.
Tingling brings a kind of attractive gleam to your eyes and highlights the fluttering of your eyelashes.
Tingling is irresistible.
And you can do it anywhere.
You can Tingle at home.
You can Tingle at a party.
You can even Tingle with someone you love!
If Morarji had had a greater role in developing the beverage, the ad would probably have gone like this:
You can Tinkle at home.
You can Tinkle at a party.
You can even Tinkle with someone you love!
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:58   #1693
BHPian

The worst according to me is one of those toothpaste ads.. Colgate I think.

A lady accompanied by a bunch of reporters asking "kya aapke toothpaste mein namak hain"... disgusting
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:36   #1694
Senior - BHPian

After Taare Zameen Par, if anything shown on screen has made me cry, then it has got to be the latest IDBI bank ad with the kid and the baby elephant.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:58   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Bru instant coffee 10% extra ad - Brilliant one!! The best executed "% extra" add IMHO
  2. Virgin mobile, Guy in the lift ad - Again Virgin mobile ad standard maintained!
Taking about ads, I would to like to mention the reach the Sun group has when they buy a movie to distribute/produce one.

You have to see the way they use the combined force of their Media Empire (Sun TV, Sun Music, Sun News, Tamil weekly magazine, Suriyan FM Radio, Dhinakaran Tamil daily newspaper) to promote the movie.

I bet every five minutes we'll hear a song from the movie or the BGM or the trailer.

Then there's the news & TV channel that give favourable reviews!

If there's an award for best managed campaign then we gotta give it to these guys!

P.S: The frequent ads get irritating after a time. By that time they are ready with the next movie!

Most Viewed