Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 12:54   #2581
BHPian

Re: The BEST & the WORST Advertisements on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Gary Lawyer at his best. Folks born in late 70's and early 80's will remember this one.
Apart from being a Lovely Jingle, it was the time at which it came, that always brings a smile in our(Folks born in late 70's and early 80's) hearts, as we were in our teens then.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 13:45   #2582
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
as we were in our teens then.
Rightly said and the last few lines.
Then you go and deceive me like its all in the game... EPIC..
Old 31st May 2011, 14:00   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Gary Lawyer at his best. Folks born in late 70's and early 80's will remember this one. Each one of us identified ourselves with that jingle.
Ahh, nostalgia trip! There was another nice ad for some cosmetic by Lakme or Ponds. Not sure if it was sung by Gary Lawyer, but the song was "Always a woman". I loved that ad!! Haven't been able to find it on the net though :-(

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 31st May 2011, 19:52   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
1) The new Hunk ad, it assumes that all SUV owners are sissy and are afraid to get into caves while the person on Hunk can do anything. It is silly of ad designer to assume that. Plain idiocy!
Can somebody ask Hero Honda not to show this stupid ad in between the French Open? Destroys the whole mood of watching the game.
It is probably created by a Marvel comic reading 5th grader
Old 31st May 2011, 21:19   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Can somebody ask Hero Honda not to show this stupid ad in between the French Open? Destroys the whole mood of watching the game.
It is probably created by a Marvel comic reading 5th grader
The fact that you are thinking / talking about it means Ad has served its purpose. Purpose of that ad was to "shock" and get viewers to notice the product.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:05   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
The fact that you are thinking / talking about it means Ad has served its purpose. Purpose of that ad was to "shock" and get viewers to notice the product.
I differ. The objective of these type of ads is to position the product and not brand recall in the minds of the customer...and I think they failed miserably in that. Now I think of Hunk as some sissy product instead of the tough image that they tried to convey
Old 1st June 2011, 11:20   #2587
BHPian

i like the new fanta ad its very cute with all the cartoons singing and dancing and the dog jumping around. I hate the airtel ad where that army guy calls up his girlfriend and the girl says " ek fauji ki nazar kabhi neeche nahi honi chahiye" it just doesnt make any sense.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:21   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO this works more for FMCG products which people are likelier to buy off the shelf when they visit a market/ shop.
For more expensive products, if this is their strategy then it is a questionable one.
Red hot tail lamps, really?! as opposed to the cool blue elsewhere?

Another really irritating one is a talcum powder or deo ad; the one where a tailor is measuring a lady.

Last edited by selfdrive : 1st June 2011 at 11:23.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:26   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Old 1st June 2011, 13:42   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I think of Hunk as some sissy product instead of the tough image that they tried to convey
You might not be the target demographic for this campaign. What I am trying to say is, Ad does not have to make sense at all. it just have to sell.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 16:10   #2591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might not be the target demographic for this campaign. What I am trying to say is, Ad does not have to make sense at all. it just have to sell.
Never wanted to thank, but the button is placed where the quote button used to.

My point is, this thread is about how stupid ads are made but not whether ads' purpose is to sell or to make sense.

And I don't think Heromoto (is that their new name?) does not want to position hunk as a bike used only to ride the hills where SUVs can't!

This makes me thinking whether we need advertising at all for established products? I had never seen much aggressive advertising from Honda for their bikes or cars, they still sell decently. Same applies to Pulsar I guess, Hunk being there in market for quite sometime I wonder why this ad all of a sudden!
Old 1st June 2011, 17:18   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Hunk being there in market for quite sometime I wonder why this ad all of a sudden!
The Hunk got a facelift a few months back. Some new features like digital speedo, new colours, etc were added. Hence the latest campaign to uplift sagging sales.

And regarding the ad, yes it looks stupid, but if you look from the perspective of a guy who cannot afford to buy a car it's the opposite. Remember the old classic Rx100 ad where a guy leaps over a red sports car to win the race. It's this kind of 'image uplift' that surely appeals to it's target..Even the passion Pro ad was made along the same lines of thought.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:30   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hunk being there in market for quite sometime I wonder why this ad all of a sudden!
Its there in the market for long but I do not see many Hunks on road. That may be the reason for this ad.

I am happy to be a scared person in a Mitsu than a brave person riding this stupid motorcycle ....HUNK
Old 1st June 2011, 18:01   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
And regarding the ad, yes it looks stupid, but if you look from the perspective of a guy who cannot afford to buy a car it's the opposite. Remember the old classic Rx100 ad where a guy leaps over a red sports car to win the race. It's this kind of 'image uplift' that surely appeals to it's target..Even the passion Pro ad was made along the same lines of thought.
That Yamaha ad was a classic with the Top Gun music and some good bike riding - did not show a bunch of big sissies wetting their pants at the look of a tunnel. Here there is also a girl with a monster book suggesting that there are monsters inside the tunnel!! Aw, c'mon, it's so childish. Thematically you can say it resembles an ad for boomer, where the bubble gum blows away the so called 'monsters'. I wonder who the target segment is....
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 21:06   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Yamaha ad was a classic with the Top Gun music and some good bike riding - did not show a bunch of big sissies wetting their pants at the look of a tunnel. Here there is also a girl with a monster book suggesting that there are monsters inside the tunnel!! Aw, c'mon, it's so childish. Thematically you can say it resembles an ad for boomer, where the bubble gum blows away the so called 'monsters'. I wonder who the target segment is....
Add to that a fallen tower and a damaged SUV.

And the co-driver asks 'Reverse?'.

Hunk rider, "Reverse is never an option". Duh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks