Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 16:01   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Has anyone seen the new cadbury's Gems ad. Horrible and dumb ad.

Lady in the park, starts to eat gems that comes out the ground.

-Sajan
When were Cadbury Gems Ads were logical earlier!!!
Remember 'Rangeen Panda ki pasand' pathetic Ads.
Nowadays, its very rare to find a good and logical Ad as an ad has to convey many messages other than highlighting the product only.
Old 19th April 2012, 17:16   #2852
BHPian

Re: The BEST & the WORST Advertisements on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Unfortunately these days, almost every second ad has a sexual overtone to it. Looks like our ad agencies are full of sexually deprived or depraved people. And there is no restriction on the timings that these are displayed. I mean come in, some of them should not be displayed before midnight if at all. It is very embarrassing to answer questions from 4 year old kids as to why someone on TV is gyrating or suggestively indicating something. One question I had recently was about some inverter ad where the guy jumps onto the bedpost and then lands up at an adoption agency. Somebody pleas stop this crap!

there is only so much channel flipping that one can do. These days, such ads are just teeming everywhere.

if not using such tones to sell, these agencies end up using some filmstar to sell something. Where have all the creative minds gone?

I have written one commercial where the ladies go oooh and aaah after a man who's just applied a XYZ brand of deo. The reason why I wrote that script was because of the research that I got. And this research was combined+provided by a multinational data research agency (one of fortune top 100 companies). I initially though that maybe we can sell this deo in a different way, but none of the scripts went through the focus-group. In the focus-group there were guys from government offices to college-going-kids to IT guys. They all disapproved the script. And when I wrote one with couple of girls in it, all 3 scripts got approved. Funny, ain't it?

What incidents make you want to think about buying an inverter? If they would have shown a lame reason like 'can't work in the dark', 'can't eat it the dark' or 'can't walk in the dark' then would you watch the ad again? The reason why whichever agency did that commercial...chose that particular situation is because it magnifies the drama of what all can happen if you don't have an inverter? Ask the V-guard guys for their figures and I can bet my years of advertising experience that their sales must have gone up.

And to clarify why we need these superstars is that "Most of the people in this country are dumb." This is how the manufacturers/marketing companies of the deos and perfumes and soaps classify them as. Imagine a scenario. You work for a major FMCG company where you manufacture this ABC soap for a particular market. You're doing all fine. Suddenly the ZYX soap from France launches its soap at the same price point in the same market. The people have only aspired to take a bath with this ZYX soap all their lives. They know that their cousins in US use this soap advertised by penelope cruz. And now, in India, Aishwarya Rai is advertising for it. She's beautiful. She uses this soap. If I apply this soap and leave my ABC soap then I'll have the same skin too. So the ABC company will also rope in some celebrity and try to hold on to their consumers. The thing is that they don't know that any soap in a 5-20 rupee price band will more or less do the same thing. It's only educated people like me and you who know this fact. In fact, these guys don't want to target you at all. they only want to target the 60% of uneducated/ignorant junta of this country while you watch Pune and Kolkata in a cricket battle. Do you think a normal model could have accentuated the drama of selling a vest like Dollar or Amul Macho like Akshay and Saif have? Only way Slice can differentiate themselves from Frooti and mazaa and others is by coming up with something like Aamsutra. And do you think any other unknown face would have done better for them if not Katrina? She is one of the most desired actress right now and it right for Slice to bank on it.

However, I agree that there should be a time-band when such ads are shown. I've felt disgusted when I had to watch the same deo commercial with my 7 year old nephew and all he said is "Mast music hai chachu" (Great music uncle!) while I know that some subliminal message has already been passed on to him.

It is how they (and in turn we) make money. And most of us are married and committed to our partners. We are as much sexually deprived and depraved as the guys working in Sales or IT companies or Municipality department of XYZ city or whichever industry you may belong to. We go haha for the same adult joke that tickles you too, during your coffee break. So please do not generalize a good chunk of people who lose their sleep to come out with a good and interesting ad for you day in and out.

PS: I always keep a cartoon channel on swap button when watching with a kid around me.

(We can continue the argument in PM mode. Or you can create a thread for it. I don't really like infractions )
Old 19th April 2012, 18:19   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
PS: I always keep a cartoon channel on swap button when watching with a kid around me.

(We can continue the argument in PM mode. Or you can create a thread for it. I don't really like infractions)
no argument dude.
Just putting my thoughts out here. A quick look at the telly just reveals more and more. And to me that looks like the easy way out. Of course, I take the easy way out at work too. But I doubt if my work shortcuts create a moral dilemma in other peoples' lives. Maybe that I just do a very insignificant job in the society ecosystem. This is even more reason why advertisers and the governing body (if there is one) need to understand the influence and impact their work has on unrelated people/ general public.

Of course there are some ads that buck the trend and still work. Maybe the Airtel 'friends' ad, or the Vodafone ads. But for each of these decent ads, there are a dozen other ads which are downright vulgar and sleazy.
It makes me squirm and the immediate reaction after being bombarded through such continuous fare is that who the hell makes these ads. Is sex the only thing on their minds? Its like being forced to watch highlights of an Emraan Hashmi movie every 10 mins. Again, I am not judging the guy or his films. Of course their target audience is not me, but there should be a decency limit. It doesnt seem to have been self imposed, so somebody need to draw the line. Its having TV rage that is similar to road rage. Are all the drivers stark mad? That doesnt mean they are actually physiologically or medically insane; just that their behaviour is indicative of someone with that unfortunate syndrome.

Of course, if your boss or bottomline asks you to do this then it is his 'majboori' which he has transferred to you. But just because it sells, doesnt mean it has to be in my face all the time. I still maintain it is taking the easy way out. There are still so many other ways to sell a soap for example. At some level, it comes down to saturation I think. How many Shahrukh Khan ads before I forget what he was advertising? Its got to have something smart to say. I dont think the ad works because of the actor, its the idea. As in the cases for Saif and Katrina. But putting Salman in a Wheel ad, they could have done better. The unfortunate part here is that this work is in the pubic domain and reactions are going to be strong and diverse.

A separate para for that inverter ad. Forget jumping on that bedpost. It is also wrong on another level. That of showing adoption in such a light. There are many people who choose to adopt of their own free will regardless of their ability or otherwise.

There is another ad for Memory chargers, dont remember if it is Complan or Horlicks. That ad is banned in the UK because it was forcing guilt on parents of not providing enough to their kids. In the legal case, they apologised saying it is meant for 'subcontinental' advertising and was aired there by mistake. Why? Is it ok to pass guilt to parents here?

At the end of the day, yes I have the remote. But I think using sexual undertones as a practice its gone too far. Its my opinion. Maybe at an end of the dumb scale where I dont understand why every other ad is harping on the same note.

Again, wish you well and hope that you get the freedom and license to express your creativity without such limitations.

Edit: reread your post and I agree this is not the place for this discussion. it would make more sense to just make a list of these ads and put up why I think they are the worst or the best.

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th April 2012 at 18:34.
Old 19th April 2012, 20:08   #2854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands
Has anyone seen the new cadbury's Gems ad. Horrible and dumb ad.

Lady in the park, starts to eat gems that comes out the ground.

-Sajan
I kinda like it.
I mean, as a kid, that would have been the holy grail.

So the "umar" thing also clicks, somewhat.
Agreed, execution may not be spot on.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:28   #2855
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is one heck of an ad. Time after Fiat took over Chrysler, and the latter bounced back:

Old 20th April 2012, 11:26   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
no argument dude.
Just putting my thoughts out here. A quick look at the telly just reveals more and more. And to me that looks like the easy way out. Of course, I take the easy way out at work too. But I doubt if my work shortcuts create a moral dilemma in other peoples' lives. Maybe that I just do a very insignificant job in the society ecosystem. This is even more reason why advertisers and the governing body (if there is one) need to understand the influence and impact their work has on unrelated people/ general public.
Yes. We should just share best and worst ads. Otherwise our discussion will just take many more pages to finish and the mods will probably ban us.

Here's one funny ad that I think rocks:

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th April 2012 at 12:08. Reason: No need to quote the entire long post. Please quote only small/relevant portions. Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:32   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is one heck of an ad. Time after Fiat took over Chrysler, and the latter bounced back:

Born of fire Eminem - Chrysler (Part 5) - YouTube
Equally good one

[/quote]
Old 23rd April 2012, 00:58   #2858
Senior - BHPian

anyone remember the first fiat punto indian adv? i think this is the best advertisement from fiat india
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:09   #2859
BHPian

All these Idea ads by one cheeni kum R balki are dimag kum ads. Man how can you even think of making such ads. Really a bad idea balkiji.
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:09   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Here is an absolutely brilliant google ad. A must watch!

Last edited by anekho : 2nd May 2012 at 18:11.
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:28   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Bad Ads lately -

Cadbury Gems
Idea
Thums Up
Vodafone (just ok-ok)
Hyundai i20
D Decor
Galaxy Y - the "aap ke paas nahi hai uncle ? " one
Samsung Hero (?) - Aamir Khan in the train one - YUCK

Good Ads lately

5 Star - (ek bilaang choti) - you can sai I am biased as I like the Suresh-Ramesh track
Tata Docomo - with Ranbir playing the old waiter
Blue Star ac's -
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:40   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Bad Ads lately -

Cadbury Gems
Idea
Thums Up
Vodafone (just ok-ok)
Hyundai i20
D Decor
Galaxy Y - the "aap ke paas nahi hai uncle ? " one
Samsung Hero (?) - Aamir Khan in the train one - YUCK
one more to add to the bad list alpenliebe ad Kareena dance in middle of nowhere
Old 12th May 2012, 20:02   #2863
BHPian

This ad is a 1987 ad called Saab Suite by the now hibernating Saab Automobile company.

Has anyone seen this?

Old 15th May 2012, 03:16   #2864
BHPian

Has anyone seen the new set of ads from Vodafone, one of them the rat race between fairies and pixies.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:39   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully action will follow the words.

Vulgar advertisements raise stink in House : North News - India Today

The gross indecency makes me think that surrogate marketing (Kingfisher water, Imperial Blue CDs, etc) were not so bad! There are some really bad ads doing the rounds and the whip needs to be cracked before some even worse ones appear and we start thinking these deo ads were better.

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2012 at 11:41.

Most Viewed