Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2017, 17:53   #3496
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Best & Worst Advertisements on TV

Enough of cars zipping in and out of curves and flexing its engine muscle and opening its LED eyes aggressively in advertisements, time for a cool, hippy and positive commercial focussing on the everyday driver, and portraying the company as exactly the way it is :

Cool music, positive message and no exaggeration, Hyundai indeed does try to become better with each step.
Old 30th April 2017, 13:09   #3497
BHPian

Its an ad for Joyalukkas Jewelers, saw this at the movies yesterday. One word to describe the ad would be "ridiculous".
Its one dad asking the other dad to go to go to Joyalukkas to buy jewelry for his daughter. The talk is about how "ordinary people" can afford to go to their stores. And they are trying desperately to emphasis on the "ordinary" part by showing them commuting in a state transport corporation bus (you are expected to ignore the fact that the lady is decked out.

PS: I saw the ad in Tamil. This link is for the Kanada version.
Old 24th September 2017, 14:54   #3498
BANNED

I am not sure how many people have watched these TVCs from Parle. But, I am always interested in all things business and I thought that this campaign is one of those rare marketing efforts that is both purposeful and substantive. It would be interesting to hear from others to see if they feel the same way.

Parle has been around for ages in India. But, it is possible that they have quietly suffered the lack of any meaningful notoriety while Britannia has successfully positioned itself as the hip and aspirational brand that is more socially acceptable.

Also, my guess is that Parle's market research is telling them that a.) despite being regular customers, plenty of folks don't bother to recognize that their biscuits are made by Parle (and are maybe even making the error of chalking up their biscuit choices to Brittania instead??); and b.) there isn't sufficient awareness in the market about Parle's portfolio which today extends well beyond Parle-G which, incidentally, enjoys unparalleled entrenchment in the Indian subconsciousness.**

These TVCs attack each one of those perception issues head on by showcasing a.) how people of every age group are probably actually consuming a product that is tailor-made for them by Parle; and b.) the fact that the brand's offerings today span the full gamut of flavor profiles - "salty, sweety, buttery, nutty.... sab milega" is the tagline.

Each spot consists of one person saying "I didn't know (insert contexual statement)", and the other person responding typically out of context with, "Of course not. You didn't even know that these two brand of biscuits are made by the same company - Parle."

Normally, it would sound contrived for someone to deliberately insert a product placement into a conversation. But, the humor in these screen situations effectively undercuts all notions of ridiculousness to drive home the overarching message - #NaamTohSunaHiHoga which roughly translates to "you must have heard of us by now".

P.S.

** Personally, I think that Parle-G's strength is its weakness. The brand is so ubiquitous across all tea stalls in the country that it may be contributing to Parle's down-market image while, on the other hand, middle-class Indians consider Britannia biscuits acceptable enough to serve to their guests during tea parties.

You can see the other spots in this series on Youtube.
Old 1st October 2017, 15:57   #3499
Senior - BHPian

This is not a TV ad. But it's brilliant.

The Best & Worst Advertisements in India-capture.jpg

https://twitter.com/FordMiddleEast/s...seat-in-new-ad
Old 17th December 2017, 21:18   #3500
Distinguished - BHPian

Worried about big humps and ground clearance? Get a Range Rover.

Old 16th January 2018, 22:22   #3501
BHPian

re: The Best & Worst Advertisements in India

The latest Mahindra KUV 100 NXT ad is too irritating for me. It shows a bunch of city girls jogging on some Himalayan hills singing and the guys in the Mahindra try to impress them by crossing a river. I mean this is ridiculous. First of all where on earth do we find girls jogging & singing? Even if we did, which city girl on earth gets impressed by a Mahindra? And this ad comes every 5 minutes which is a real nuisance on TV.

Most of the car & bike ads always show a man driving/riding on a road which looks like a F1 circuit with no other cars & a pretty girl accompanying him. How idiotic! These ads might be ok in developed countries with less traffic but in India? Absolute rubbish.
Old 17th January 2018, 12:51   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The latest Mahindra KUV 100 NXT ad is too irritating for me. It shows a bunch of city girls jogging on some Himalayan hills singing and the guys in the Mahindra try to impress them by crossing a river. I mean this is ridiculous.
Apparently their target audience is young men. They must have gone by the antiquated marketing theory that in a man's world there is only one thing which sells - sexist ads. So they plastered the ad with running women. But it ends up looking cheap.

One of the worst ads is from Saravana Stores. In the earlier version they would show a glimpse of Rolls Royce car which lasted a few micro seconds. If their intention was to create an impression that they sell products which spell class, it is sadly lost.
Old 17th January 2018, 14:32   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
The latest Mahindra KUV 100 NXT ad is too irritating for me. It shows a bunch of city girls jogging on some Himalayan hills singing and the guys in the Mahindra try to impress them by crossing a river. I mean this is ridiculous. First of all where on earth do we find girls jogging & singing? Even if we did, which city girl on earth gets impressed by a Mahindra? And this ad comes every 5 minutes which is a real nuisance on TV.
The song is catchy, though. I find myself humming it quite often . Anybody know the source of the music?
Old 17th January 2018, 15:04   #3504
BHPian

Talking about this CEAT ad, they are comparing him to Usain Bolt and telling the viewers that he can go Long Jump, High Jump and Steeplechase...when did Usain started these? after his retirement ,
Old 17th January 2018, 16:26   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Talking about this CEAT ad, they are comparing him to Usain Bolt and telling the viewers that he can go Long Jump, High Jump and Steeplechase...when did Usain started these? after his retirement
Making ads is quite difficult. One has to convey the message in a very short time and make it effective. In this particular ad, the message was to convey the the effectiveness of Ceat tyres under hard braking. Using Usain bolt's name was just meant as an additional recollection point for the ad apart from the sarcasm in the ad itself.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2018 at 17:40. Reason: Deleting video from quoted portion
Old 17th January 2018, 16:55   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Making ads is quite difficult. One has to convey the message in a very short time and make it effective. In this particular ad, the message was to convey the the effectiveness of Ceat tyres under hard braking. Using Usain bolt's name was just meant as an additional recollection point for the ad apart from the sarcasm in the ad itself.
I know the intent in this ad is to highlight the 'braking' effectiveness of CEAT tyre and not whether Usain ran 100/200 or High/Long jump and Steeplechase. And in cricket obsessed country, hardly anyone would have noticed this error also.
Consider this situation, in an ad if Sachin's name is taken and instead of cricket if they had taken other sport (say Hockey or Football) as reference, don't you think people would have made an issue of it by now?
Old 17th January 2018, 16:55   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
That is true. The fact you now recall the ad and the brand means that their job is done.
Old 17th January 2018, 22:27   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I know the intent in this ad is to highlight the 'braking' effectiveness of CEAT tyre and not whether Usain ran 100/200 or High/Long jump and Steeplechase. And in cricket obsessed country, hardly anyone would have noticed this error also.
Consider this situation, in an ad if Sachin's name is taken and instead of cricket if they had taken other sport (say Hockey or Football) as reference, don't you think people would have made an issue of it by now?
I don't think there is any error in the ad. The guy in the ad is referred to as Usain Bolt. But the ad goes on to say these kind of "champions" are in every part of our country and "they" (not "he") can perform highjump, longjump and steeplechase on our roads - this part is not particularly referring to the guy on screen. That's my interpretation.

Hindi is not my first language, so I could of course be wrong.
Old 19th January 2018, 19:42   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all where on earth do we find girls jogging & singing? Even if we did, which city girl on earth gets impressed by a Mahindra? And this ad comes every 5 minutes which is a real nuisance on TV.
You mean to say that Mahindra should accept that their cars cannot impress girls? And you mean girls never jog and sing?

The effectiveness of the ad may be debatable. But poor M&M - what can they do? The car is not a looker - so bring a bunch of good looking girls, an exotic location and a catchy tune and you have an ad that people talk about
Old 1st February 2018, 07:44   #3510
BHPian

Not sure if its a TVC, but it's a nice video. I liked the ending especially, where his kid says something like "bon gas"

Most Viewed