Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 20:24   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post

As for the worst ads as per me,
What exactly are they trying to talk about? Lays, Tata Safari, Hyundai ads are too cluttered and therefore, the actor (Saif or Shahrukh) become even bigger than the product or brand. Even the i20 and the other hyundai car (the one that equates it to a fighter plane), are lame and keep the main product out of focus.
Are you sure you want to put Tata Safari ad in the same category as others? I feel the Safari ad was done beautifully and it did strike the right chord to the people whom it was targeted to. What would you remember after 20 years? Obviously not the corner office or board-room fights but the trips that you did and the things that you really enjoyed. And for that get a Safari to build your own roads. I really think it's well made. Cluttered? Not at all, it was to the point. And there was no Saif or Shahrukh on Tata Safari ads.
I do agree about Hyundai ads. Their ads were always lame, are still lame and probably will be lame.
Old 5th March 2009, 20:59   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the I-pill ad, the message of 'prevention is better than ..." is lound and clear. They tend to stick on to your mind.
... and also making the i-pill the most misused and overused product. There is enough data now to show that they are mostly used 'outside marriage'. The ad also misinforms and does not tell you the side effects and the harms of using it, especially if used recurrently.
Ask any gynaecologist and they will tell you what a dangerous drug an i-pill actually is.
Old 5th March 2009, 21:34   #1263
BANNED

BEST - Limca, the girl looks so cute, and an awesome background score to go with!!
WORST - Pepsi, Dhoni, Naa!!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:19   #1264
BHPian

Rejoinder

@Kaushik

Safari ads are creatively good. That I agree. But my reservation is what it does to the brand. Auto customers are not so evolved here that they look at the spiritual kick from a car. Check if this ad can reinforce a buying decision. Supposing you had enough money and were of the right age group, would you buy Safari or even put Safari into your consideration set based solely on this ad? That is why I used the word cluttered, by which I meant, it talks about things loosely related to automobiles and the experience of driving them. It talks on a different plane altogether for which, in my opinion, the audience is not ready yet.

@Benji

I agree that the ad does not talk about the harmful side effects. But then, which ad does? Coke, Pepsi, Surf, Ariel, Pantene, Lays,...you name the brand; all have more harmful side effects.

The point while calling an ad good or bad for me is to look how effectively the message is conveyed. I-pill does that to a great extent. Remember that even for OTC drugs, people are advised to consult a doctor before taking them. What I was looking at is this. When you face a problem of unwanted pregnancy, what are the emotions you go through? And therefore, do we have a solution? This is clearly communicated in the ads. BTW, the 'layman' term for I-pill is 'morning after' pill. It is prescribed by doctors as well, though under different brand names. It is only now that this is available OTC. And, there is nothing wrong in unmarried young girls using them. In our society, this is much needed.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:11   #1265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Auto customers are not so evolved here that they look at the spiritual kick from a car. Check if this ad can reinforce a buying decision. Supposing you had enough money and were of the right age group, would you buy Safari or even put Safari into your consideration set based solely on this ad? That is why I used the word cluttered, by which I meant, it talks about things loosely related to automobiles and the experience of driving them. It talks on a different plane altogether for which, in my opinion, the audience is not ready yet.
I sure dont have that much money lying around, but this ad surely does make me want to own a Safari. I have always found the Safari ads to be quite good, and the latest one only continues the tradition.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:12   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Kaushik

Safari ads are creatively good. That I agree. But my reservation is what it does to the brand. Auto customers are not so evolved here that they look at the spiritual kick from a car. Check if this ad can reinforce a buying decision. Supposing you had enough money and were of the right age group, would you buy Safari or even put Safari into your consideration set based solely on this ad? That is why I used the word cluttered, by which I meant, it talks about things loosely related to automobiles and the experience of driving them. It talks on a different plane altogether for which, in my opinion, the audience is not ready yet.

IMHO There are two kind of buyers (may be more), one who makes decision by heart, other who do loads of research and then takes the plunge. Now for the one who goes by heart this ad is gonna be a good catalyst for sure. For the rest, who does the research, well it really doesn't matter what ads are running at all. He'll go through everything to find the minute detail about the product and then take plunge depending on who got the highest points according to his research.

As for me, I kinda fall into both, first I fall in love with a product and then I go ahead to research on it. If I find it suitable (financially etc.) I buy it. And if you are asking me whether I was influenced by these Safari ads? Well I'm already sold for this car and it's lined up as my next car for sure.

Also ads are meant for awareness to a product and how you brand the product in the market. According to me Tata has done a great job to brand Safari a vehicle which can earn you freedom. Make your own road.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:06   #1267
BHPian

Well, Kaushik and Ben,

Your posts were nice and drove the point home. I was coming from the view that buying a car is more of a practical decision (as mentioned by Kaushik in the first para of his response) than an impulse decision.

Only when the basic requirements of safety, FE, drive, aesthetics (order may vary) are met do people then go about the 'feel' part of the product. To that extent, the initial ads of Safari - you might remember the Veerappan look-alike ad with the rugby team in a safari or the ad of thee girl asking for a lift from a safari driver in the middle of a white water rafting stream - were purely functional in nature.

What I wanted to say was the transition of the brand from functional to emotional is too fast for the Indian consumer to handle.

I hope I am not way off mark here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I sure dont have.......the latest one only continues the tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
IMHO There are two kind of buyers......earn you freedom. Make your own road.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:01   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Kaushik and Ben,

Your posts were nice and drove the point home. I was coming from the view that buying a car is more of a practical decision (as mentioned by Kaushik in the first para of his response) than an impulse decision.

Only when the basic requirements of safety, FE, drive, aesthetics (order may vary) are met do people then go about the 'feel' part of the product. To that extent, the initial ads of Safari - you might remember the Veerappan look-alike ad with the rugby team in a safari or the ad of thee girl asking for a lift from a safari driver in the middle of a white water rafting stream - were purely functional in nature.

What I wanted to say was the transition of the brand from functional to emotional is too fast for the Indian consumer to handle.

Yup, I can understand your point and you are right in a way. But again as you also agreed, that Safari ads are creatively good and that's what I wanted to say. May be it's because their target audience (i.e. potential Customers) are also different and may've transitioned to the emotional side ;-)
Old 6th March 2009, 14:09   #1269
Senior - BHPian

All said & done, why does TATA have to copy even ads ? That music in the latest safari ad is a straight lift from the movie Gladiator.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:39   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
All said & done, why does TATA have to copy even ads ? That music in the latest safari ad is a straight lift from the movie Gladiator.
Huh, and I thought it was from LOTR-The return of the King ("Into the west" song).
Old 6th March 2009, 18:40   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Kaushik and Ben,

All the TATA Safari ads are targetted at people going through a mid-life crisis!!!
Old 6th March 2009, 19:01   #1272
Senior - BHPian

May be it that the ads too go thru a period of recession mostly when there is no clear understanding of the viewer's intelligence. made mostly for a blunt audience
Old 6th March 2009, 20:07   #1273
Senior - BHPian

The new safari advertisement music is so refeshing. I love the music of all the safari ads till date
Old 8th March 2009, 01:10   #1274

Well, I know that this is meant only for TV ads, but i made a TVC for a project and i would like some comments on it. Please do feel free to give your feedback.

This AD was made totally in half an hour(including editing and dubbing), so please excuse the shake in the camera...

EDIT: As the video was just uploaded,(1:10 IST) it mught take a while to actually go online on youTUBE.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:02   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Well, I know that this is meant only for TV ads, but i made a TVC for a project and i would like some comments on it. Please do feel free to give your feedback.

This AD was made totally in half an hour(including editing and dubbing), so please excuse the shake in the camera...

EDIT: As the video was just uploaded,(1:10 IST) it mught take a while to actually go online on youTUBE.
Cyrus,

This is a good attempt considering the fact that you shot and edited this in half an hour!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks