Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whom do you support in Narmada controversy?
BJP/Congress/Narendra Modi 14 36.84%
NBA/Amir Khan/Rahul Bose/Arundhati Roy 24 63.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 12:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

While I am all for developement, it should not be at the cost of others. Proper rehabilitation should be guaranteed to all those displaced.
devarshi, I do agree with your point that the end result will provide relief to thousands. But then, will your opinion still be the same if you were one of those who would be displaced ? I doubt.
Old 19th April 2006, 23:20   #17
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84

My maternal uncle works for this project. Modi government is doing pretty much the best they can for the state.
Your uncle works for that project that's why you think that Govt doing is right and I know Aamir Khan personally and he is not that kind of person who will jump into any issue to get "cheap" publicity. Its human tendancy to support if we got direct connection.
Old 20th April 2006, 04:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
Your uncle works for that project that's why you think that Govt doing is right and I know Aamir Khan personally and he is not that kind of person who will jump into any issue to get "cheap" publicity. Its human tendancy to support if we got direct connection.
WEll you said u know Amir khan personally. doesnt the same statement apply to you too? and btw I dont care about the politics as I said before. I care about the dam coz its giving water to the whole state. please read this post again.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/211163-post5.html

I have seen its benefits and Hence I stand by it.

Aamir khan is an excellent actor and that's what he should be concentrating on.

what's his motive behind such statements?

He should know that

" with great power comes great responsibility"(spiderman)

His words whether true or not can create trouble in the state.

The dam has its advantages and yes The Gujarat Government should take steps of Active rehabilitation but Where did Aamir Khan come into the picture?

How and why are Medha Patkar and Arundhati Roy jumping into the scene? Let the central govt and state govt solve it out. the final decision on which the whole country including Gujarat will accept.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th April 2006 at 04:44.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He should know that

" with great power comes great responsibility"(spiderman)

His words whether true or not can create trouble in the state.
Ever heard the way Modi speaks, Devarshi?

You have stayed 20 years in Ahmedabad, I have stayed 2, so I will not comment too much on the way things have changed in Ahmedabad. My only take being that it is bountiful rains (and to an extent rain water harvesting) that is causing the changes that you are talking about. But I have spent 29 years in India. Enough to know that we have to look beyond what is good for just a single region.

I was a supporter of the SS project because I too felt that all the so called activists are just doing a load of crap. But over time, my support has kind of waned mainly because I have come to understand that certain people who have no way of fighting back are just being taken for granted.

Your statement

Quote:
Well THey are given the new lands and space. Certainly government cant react the way a private company can and yes the farmers may get less than what they had before. I wouldnt like this and pity them but then I am also happy that 1000s others are on their way to prosperity.
is very very saddening. If this is the attitude we have towards our own countrymen, then where do we go?

There are ways to solve the problem of thirst of the 1000s that you are talking about without increasing the height of the dam. Have we explored that? What if tomorrow the government wanted to demolish your house for constructing a road and was giving you either no compensation or something very less than what you deserve? Should we all stand back and say that your sacrifice is necessary to solve the problems of others? You atleast have the money and connections ( I guess ) to fight it out in the courts. Think of those who struggle everyday to get a meal. If these activists are able to get a good deal for them, then so be it.

To RX -

Dude, we really think alike. I find Arundhati Roy a ....... well ....
Old 20th April 2006, 12:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

The whole protest is about giving rehab. But the way its come out in the media is that the protestors dont want the dam height to go up no matter what the rehab deal. So I guess the PR should change. I doubt there would have been as much hue an cry if the protestors had clearly stated that they support the Project but want full rehab.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
But the way its come out in the media is that the protestors dont want the dam height to go up no matter what the rehab deal.
Or it is the way certain politicians want it to be projected. After all Gujarat nu gaurav ka bhi to sochna chahiye.
Old 20th April 2006, 13:05   #22
BHPian

Rehabilitate

Knowing our Government's track record of corruption, the lack of timely and property Rehabilitation of the affected people is what is causing concern, I can see, among all the team-bhp members. More than supporting either party, everyone agrees that the dam is required. All i am saying is that dont let the Government get away with not rehabilitating the people. The politicians will use the available funds to line their pockets and people will lose home, hearth and livelihood. I am quite sure that i heard Aamir also voicing this during his interviews. To repeat, nobody is against the dam and the benefits it can bring, just ensure that the voice of the affected people is heard too (not as they are literally 'drowning') glug... glug... glug.... but early on to ensure effective rehabilitation.
Old 20th April 2006, 23:06   #23
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"
I suppose he is a citizen first then an actor. He has all the rights to raise his voice against anything he feels is going wrong.
Tomorrow if I want to raise a voice against something ... I cant coz im a student and that's what I should be concentrating on?
He is not against dam but he wants that people should get what they deserve.
Old 21st April 2006, 06:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
I suppose he is a citizen first then an actor. He has all the rights to raise his voice against anything he feels is going wrong.
Tomorrow if I want to raise a voice against something ... I cant coz im a student and that's what I should be concentrating on?
He is not against dam but he wants that people should get what they deserve.

U are a student and you should be studying. similarly Aamir khan is an actor and should be acting(again at which he is very good). let this improvement work be done by those who have been asigned to. Given a free right to speech doesnt mean it is used to create a rife as it has happened at present.

How come Aamir Khan has suddenly got a heart for these people? he made a statement after the end of riots and then he dissapeaered. Now he raises his mouth again to comment in a way which created disruption. Either he is an idiot or He is being paid by some party to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Ever heard the way Modi speaks, Devarshi?

You have stayed 20 years in Ahmedabad, I have stayed 2, so I will not comment too much on the way things have changed in Ahmedabad. My only take being that it is bountiful rains (and to an extent rain water harvesting) that is causing the changes that you are talking about. But I have spent 29 years in India. Enough to know that we have to look beyond what is good for just a single region.

I was a supporter of the SS project because I too felt that all the so called activists are just doing a load of crap. But over time, my support has kind of waned mainly because I have come to understand that certain people who have no way of fighting back are just being taken for granted.

Your statement

is very very saddening. If this is the attitude we have towards our own countrymen, then where do we go?

There are ways to solve the problem of thirst of the 1000s that you are talking about without increasing the height of the dam. Have we explored that? What if tomorrow the government wanted to demolish your house for constructing a road and was giving you either no compensation or something very less than what you deserve? Should we all stand back and say that your sacrifice is necessary to solve the problems of others? You atleast have the money and connections ( I guess ) to fight it out in the courts. Think of those who struggle everyday to get a meal. If these activists are able to get a good deal for them, then so be it.

To RX -

Dude, we really think alike. I find Arundhati Roy a ....... well ....

I am not with Modi either as I have mentioned before. I am just going in the dams favour. I know how he speaks. He is equally irresponsible as Aamir Khan.

And pardon my loss of words to exactly express my thoughts but all I meants was that the damage is done. Now instead of stopping the half done work on which millions have been spent, its better to think on rehabilitating those who have lost their properties.Stopping the dams construction is like using the dam at half efficiency. I would never want a poor guy who is working day and night for his life and family to start all over again.

you have talked about various ways to bring water to the thousands in Kutch. can you please explain 1 or 2? Just to let you know, The government has gone to the extent of trying to find the lost saraswati river under the ground through expensive technics. the river also passes through Rajasthan. Maybe it was not feasible enough.

and various dams have been constructed in India. Everywhere rahabilitation has taken place. So why so much hue and cry over this one?

I dont think the dam is being constructed without a proper research on the location.
Old 21st April 2006, 12:22   #25
BANNED

Hey Devarshi, I agree with you on the point that the dam has benefited thousands of people and thats what should be vouched for !!! I wanna ask you one simple thing .. lets say the govt wants your parental house acquired as that will allow them to broaden the highway and benefit thousands of people, how would you react ? And in return for this they are gonna give you a measly piece of land in the middle of nowhere ... What would you do ? I'm sure you wouldn't agree or maybe you'll go running to court or maybe you'll sit in protest or god knows whhat ...

It sounds very easy that they should be re-habilitated ... as the dam is gonna make the Kutch area green, etc !! But remember its their ancestral land and thats where they belong to .. they have memories of that place ... lets not dislodge them and take land on which they farm and give them the same land in some infertile area where they can grow/produce nothing . If you were a farmer you probably would realise what I know ... the connection we have with our land is way more than monetary and why the ****
Old 21st April 2006, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Well it certainly is a touchy matter. Emotional for thos who have been displaced and equally emotional for those who will get the benefits of the dam completion. We might want to also remeber that anybody who loses his land , his house etc which have been existent from hundreds of years will find it infinitely impossible to get adjusted to the new environs ( once the govt provides them). It is also equally important to understand that the govt cannot create an environment which these people had before in a matter of 1 yr or even 5 years. Some sacrifice is required from both the sides to make this a win win situation.
Old 21st April 2006, 12:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75

It sounds very easy that they should be re-habilitated ... as the dam is gonna make the Kutch area green, etc !! But remember its their ancestral land and thats where they belong to .. they have memories of that place ... lets not dislodge them and take land on which they farm and give them the same land in some infertile area where they can grow/produce nothing . If you were a farmer you probably would realise what I know ... the connection we have with our land is way more than monetary and why the ****
Very well said. The govt cannot provide them with what they had before. But not everyone there has been "only" agricultural families! Is the Govt talking about plain jane compensation / about allocating lands?
Old 21st April 2006, 12:51   #28
BHPian

Well i'm sure most of u would've heard about the 3 groges dam being built in china - its going to be the largest hydroelectric dam in the world!! for that the chinese govt. is ORDERING millions of people to relocate with very little compensation. The people there are losing their livlihood, farms, etc, as they are moving to higher ground, not many can grow the same crops or rear their cattle. Yet they are moving. so we in a democratic world are much better off than them to be able to bring light to the few hundrends who have to move .

Plus the advantages far outweight the disadvantages which are to be born only by a few hundreds. I guess, u can easily call it the ' cost of development' I'm all for the project, be it led by any political party.
Old 21st April 2006, 13:03   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod
Well i'm sure most of u would've heard about the 3 groges dam being built in china - its going to be the largest hydroelectric dam in the world!! for that the chinese govt. is ORDERING millions of people to relocate with very little compensation. The people there are losing their livlihood, farms, etc, as they are moving to higher ground, not many can grow the same crops or rear their cattle. Yet they are moving. so we in a democratic world are much better off than them to be able to bring light to the few hundrends who have to move .

Plus the advantages far outweight the disadvantages which are to be born only by a few hundreds. I guess, u can easily call it the ' cost of development' I'm all for the project, be it led by any political party.
Hey, Firstly we ain't Chinese and that in itself says a lot when you trying to compare to China .. and if you still insist we look at China as an example in this case then might as well look at other aspects of China as well and follow !! I don't think you would welcome communism with open arms .... Its easy to say for you as you are not the one whos being dislocated -- also as I dodn't finish my earlier post .. what I meant was why the **** should they bother about Kutch turning green coz the people of Kutch wouldn't give two hoots about the dislocated ppl once it turns green .

Another thing we the people of India need to realise that if we as citizens take responsibility towards our country and not wait for the Givt to do everything a lot of situations can be avoided .. eg - A lot of areas in Delhi howl for shortage of water ... I wonder if they ever heard of 'RAIN WATER HARVESTING' , why don't they follow that and have loads of water all the year around . But NO , they would rather sit outside the Govt office and protest ... The same thing goes for the Kutch area .. maybe not all of it but if they did adopt a rain water harvesting policy a lot of the water shortage can be avoided .

In the End all I'd like to say is that I'm not against the project being implemented but am against the unfair compensation thats being doled out ... Medha whoever can go take a hike for all i care but the people being dis placed should rightfully get compensated in the name of development and they shudn't have to need people like Medha, Amir, Roy , etc to be shouting for their cause ... !!!

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 14:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

leaving all the conversations aside. I just ask one thing.

various dams have been constructed in India. Everywhere rahabilitation has taken place. So why so much hue and cry over this one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks