Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2006, 09:35   #1
BANNED

Windows XP help with online update

Hi Guys,

I had a virus attack on my comp around 10 days go and had to end up formatting my drive. The engineer that did the job installed his own Cd which had Xp professional and seperately installed SP2. The rest of my software was installed by me and the machine seems to be running OK now. The earlier XP was installed from my CD which had SP2 combined in one CD(both not orginal).

After the new install I am unable to do the following :

1> Use Windows Update- Asks to download Active X controls which my comp does not do. Have already done all the necessary settings in explorer and enbled all content.
2> Using Office Update - same problem.
3> Online scan for virus/security from Symantec or Trends Micro. It says Active X controls failed to install or something like that.

I could do all of the above on my comp prior to formatting(using same pirated software even though windows identified my cd as pirated it has free downloads via automatic update). spoke to another engineer who said that it could be because SP2 was installed seperately and that I will have to reformat and install XP with SP2 again.

Please help as I want to check if the machine is still infected cause I have reinstalled the same data. NAV says no virus and definitions are upto date.

Viper
Old 25th April 2006, 10:45   #2
BHPian

u cant update ur winxp if its a pirated cd
Old 25th April 2006, 11:04   #3
BANNED

Hi Yogi,

yes you can. I have been doing so in the past and yet do so in my other comps.

Viper
Old 25th April 2006, 11:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

The issue could be in the security settings in your IE. Check whether Activex dowloads are set to prompt or atleast set to prompt.

Another thing could be your Firewall and browser toolbars. If you have installed Google, MSN or any other toolbar, make sure that they are not blocking Activex components. Also check the Windows Firewall settings.

Did you install any spyware or adware blockers like MS Anti spyware. If yes, check their settings.
Old 25th April 2006, 11:27   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
The issue could be in the security settings in your IE. Check whether Activex dowloads are set to prompt or atleast set to prompt.

Another thing could be your Firewall and browser toolbars. If you have installed Google, MSN or any other toolbar, make sure that they are not blocking Activex components. Also check the Windows Firewall settings.

Did you install any spyware or adware blockers like MS Anti spyware. If yes, check their settings.
Hi Satish,

Even I feel so but the problem is I am not much of a tech person. i tried doing whatever some engineer suggested over the phone but no success. I enabled all content in the security settings in all the zones(Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, restricted sites) with no success.

I am using Spybot, and Google Desktop bar and have checked their settings as well including turning pop-up blocker off.

Another problem I forgot to mention is everytime I start the comp the an icon on the taskbar pops up saying Secutiy alert activate antivirus please click baloon to solve problem when I click it my NAV shows active.

Viper
Old 25th April 2006, 13:50   #6
BHPian

in IE
go to tools> internet options
under security tab...lower level's of internet and local intranet..
then under advanced..
scroll down
tick active content
or
try turning off the built in firewall..(this is just a guess)
Old 25th April 2006, 14:54   #7
BHPian

There are few on the wild registration numbers of WinXP. Most people use these numbers in their pirated CDs.

Now, in Service Pack, Microsoft has hardcoded these numbers in their code as to not allow these computers able to install Windows update.

So, you're outta luck here.....

Only solution is to reinstall XP again (fine with pirated CDs) and supply a different (but valid) license number (which is not blocked by Microsoft).

Search on the net, you can get those numbers pretty easily!

Good luck

Old 25th April 2006, 17:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

@sbasak: No it is not hardcoded in WinXP Lol. When you use pirated XP the WinXP goes to the MS update site and checks the no. against an active database. Microsoft maintains a list of such nos. which have been used by multitude of people from across the world and hence are most probably pirated. I got around this problem by using a tool that uses the algorithm of the Windows to generate a new no. Its a trial and error method. The no. generated may not be acepted by windows. So you generate another, till you hit paydirt. I got the no. changed and then also managed to dwnld and install SP2.

Hey Viper, from the description it sounds to me like you have a registry problem. All COM(ActiveX) components need to be registered by the windows to make them usable. Now if the registry is corrupted the component will not register. Another thing is to check how the windows is mapping the web access on the local machine. It normally maps to a local user and if that user does not have the rights to the registry you will face the same problems. Check whether you yourself have the rights to do so. Unfortunately all this may sound pretty technical to you but then there is no way out of this. I would suggest that you get hold of a technical guy and ask him to check the above suggested issues.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

IN IE-Tools-securitytab-click on internet-custom level -enable all active x- make level to low try going to windows update site add http://update.microsoft.com and http://download.windowsupdate.microsoft.com under trusted site
disconnect router if you are using one disable firewall
but windows will look for WGA (windows genuine advantage)
so if you have pirated copy you wont be able to download updates
best of luck
Dev

Last edited by pdev29 : 25th April 2006 at 17:32.
Old 25th April 2006, 19:43   #10
BANNED

Hi Guys,

2 problems solved by reinstalling Windows with Sp2 from my own CD. Am able to update both Windows as well as Office Xp.

Any solutions for the online virus check issue.

Viper
Old 26th April 2006, 08:36   #11
BHPian

hi viper...
in IE Tools-Internet Options-Advanced-uncheck "Enable Third praty Browser Extensions(Requires Restart)"

then restart the computer and then try scanning online..
should work...

I use to work for DELL (Desktops)...he he he
Old 26th April 2006, 20:04   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
hi viper...
in IE Tools-Internet Options-Advanced-uncheck "Enable Third praty Browser Extensions(Requires Restart)"

then restart the computer and then try scanning online..
should work...

I use to work for DELL (Desktops)...he he he

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot all problems look solved at least for the time being.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks