Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2006, 16:44   #16
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
MTI (or RLI - Regional Language Influence) is not a South Indian thing as is generally made out to be. .....
I agree with you .... recently a Colleague from Kolkata heard the name "SOBIS" and typed it "SHOWBIZ" ......
Old 25th April 2006, 16:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
Ha Ha, I agree that is common in the south. I have heard North-Indians say "Boofer" for "Woofer", "Applicason" for "Application", "Stason" for "Station", "Bikas" for "Vikas", "eggjactly" for "exactly", "shat" for "Shirt", "Bhuvan Sir" for "Bhubaneshwar" and lots more.

Guys, this is a fun thread, apologies if anyone is getting offended. If this is the case, please do let us know and we'll refrain.
hahaha... yeah and i remember in patiala, there is a locality called "Model Town" (in fact, i think almost all cities in north have a locality by this name) and it was always called "Maal Town" ... though it could have a hidden meaning

And once in Gurgaon, i went to buy a bottle of Smirnoff, only to hear the thekkewaala shout to chhotu "Oye ek simran off khambaa nikaal"

Amitoj

Last edited by amitoj : 25th April 2006 at 16:50.
Old 25th April 2006, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Teacher: How do you spell 'moon'?
South Indian Student: Yum yo yut another yo yen
Old 25th April 2006, 16:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
And once in Gurgaon, i went to buy a bottle of Smirnoff, only to hear the thekkewaala shout to chhotu "Oye ek simran off khambaa nikaal"
Amitoj, try asking for "Romanov" vodka in Chennai. 95% chances are they will say that they don't have such a thing and have never even heard of it. Then ask for "Ramana" vodka and you get it. It's hilarious.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:10   #20
BHPian

But best from Andhra is "Uncoool" for "Uncle"

Back to automobiles....
In Karnataka - Tata Suma
in Chennai - Magindra Ceep
in Kerala - Maruthi Cen
in Andhra Pradesh (also many other Indian States) - Ambajider or Ambasiter.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Recently I (from Karnataka) and a colleague (from Himachal) were interviewing a candidate from Bihar. He was talking about programming concepts like bariables and balues. Then he said he chose computer science because it was a light subject. So we asked him to further explain this light subject concept. He said there is lot of light on it, and we were like huh! As it turned out he was trying to say computer science has a bright future.

Needless to say both (southie and northie) of us were zapped.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th April 2006 at 17:17.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:23   #22
DRC
BHPian

I really enjoyed every post here...

BTW, the teh issue.. Yes it is not written as teh, but typed as teh because many time fingures move faster than mind. You have to type 't' from left fore finger, then switch to right fore fingure for typing 'h' and then switch back to left fingure to type 'e', however brain, completes all the left fingure tasks before it actually switch the control to right one, thence you end up with teh.

This has nothing to do with north or south indianness, I see this error from US, Eu, Japan, east asia almost everywhere..
Old 25th April 2006, 17:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, another typical thing here is to add 'a' to the ending of most names. Examples could be Rama (Ram), Ramayana (Ramayan), Mahabharatha (Mahabharat) etc.
It is the other way Zappo. Infact the original Sanskrit version of all these words end with 'a'; or rather "ah" sound. I mean 'Ramah', 'Ramayanah' etc. In Hindi that is being sripped to Ram, Ramayan etc. While in kannada and Telugu they are maintained as such, in Malayalam & Tamil 'Ramah' becomes 'Raman' and 'Ramayanah' becomes ''Ramayanam' etc.

This is very very interesting topic. It is just natural for people to think that their version is the correct one
Old 25th April 2006, 17:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

LOL LOL
This is priceless.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
Write the same thing down in Hindi or any local language and you will find a 'thi' and you'll realise what I am trying to say.
I am not sure i agree. Hindi has separate alphabets for 'Ti' and 'Thi' and 'Tee'

i have learned to ignore the spelling and some of my marks cards have Sunita and some have Sunitha. I dont think it makes that much of a difference unless you are trying to get admission into foreign universities or applying for a green card. i didnt have a problem getting a Singapore permanent residence even with the difference in spelling.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:35   #26
F50
Senior - BHPian

I remember only 2 incidents there are plenty more but ...

1. Once a friend of mine and myself were standing in someone's colony (a friend stayed there) and it had wings like A, B, C, etc. so a south indian guy comes up and asks " YEA building kidhar hai", so i was like " Haan konsa building" he was like again stressing " YEA bldg arre baba YEA", I didnt understand " Haan par bldg ka naam hoga ki nahi?" Then he got frustrated and removed a piece of paper and showed Wing A as it was writtern on the address. I was like " Pehla bolneka na 'A' bldg ... aage se panchva bldg"

2. Two yrs back I had Maths classes in the morning at 8 am. I always feel bored to go to college at 8 for Maths, that day I went and I was sleeping in class. This Sir of ours is from North may be UP or Bihar. So the topic was Wave & Wave Lenght. So he said " Today we are going to learn Babejs and Babejs Lenght" I got up and my eyes were wide open. For a moment I thought that it would be the most interesting Maths class ever!! Actually he pronounced Wave and Waves Lenght as that.

Last edited by F50 : 25th April 2006 at 17:39.
Old 25th April 2006, 17:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Talking of andhra, yes we do have some typical pronounciations here. This is only true for people from certain parts of Andhra (not from core Hyderabad). Like 'ty' together and in-between a word always become 'ch' in pronounciation. So Satyam becomes 'Sachyam' for these people. Similarly, 'Paper' is pronounced as paper as in (wrapper). Even more more surprising is the word 'block'. On of my team members always insists on pronouncing it as black!
Old 25th April 2006, 17:37   #28
BHPian

Istyle

Why is that all english words that start with 'ST' (story, start, stool etc.) are all prefixed with 'I'; ie 'istory', 'istart', 'istool' etc in the North? I am curious to know which hindi words influence this way?
Old 25th April 2006, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

here in bengaloooru peeeples spell my name as "sathya"instead of satya ...."m" is yammmm,"and" is yaaand ,"extra" is yeaxtra ,"sir" is saaaaar,
Old 25th April 2006, 17:40   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
" Today we are going to learn Babejs and Babejs Lenght" I got up and my eyes were wide open. For a moment I thought that it would be the most interesting Maths class ever!! Actually he pronounced Wave and Waves Lenght as that.
OMG!!! Thats hilarious... that too in a class full of students (and babes as well I guess)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks