Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 15:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

hmm.... I agree that South indians have weird accents but I think you can find such examples all over India .
Old 20th April 2007, 15:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

I have heard the most eloquent of APs say i-ron for iron.

OT : I see that this thread has moved on to be college/school Reminiscences. Maybe time to change the title.
Old 20th April 2007, 16:21   #93
rks
BANNED

A Tamilian relative of mine pronounces Maruti as "Maru-dhi", much to the amusement of everybody, including his driver.

Recently I walked into a restaurant in Pune asked for an "Uppuma" in South Indian style. The guy who took my order was greatly agitated and made me pronounce "Upma" three times. He also warned me that I might have ended up with an "Uthappam" (or is it "Uthappa"?) if he had not been alert enough.

And then there is that old joke about a Tamlian watching an English movie in which the hero is -- in his own words -- "Giri-Giri Peck".
Old 20th April 2007, 20:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hope this image explains:

BTW, which is correct: Anadi or Anari?
Well thats completely wrong.

In english, both 't' as in 'tambola' and 't' as in 'tamatar' are written using the same letter (ie 't'). But in Hindi we, have different letters for the above words.
Again second image is wrong. There is a hindi letter for 'th'. Its not tha Tambola wala 't' as you have written. I dont have Hindi font i would have explained it using that in a better way.
Old 20th April 2007, 21:13   #95
BHPian

influence of native language

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
A Tamilian relative of mine pronounces Maruti as "Maru-dhi", much to the amusement of everybody, including his driver.

Recently I walked into a restaurant in Pune asked for an "Uppuma" in South Indian style. The guy who took my order was greatly agitated and made me pronounce "Upma" three times. He also warned me that I might have ended up with an "Uthappam" (or is it "Uthappa"?) if he had not been alert enough.

And then there is that old joke about a Tamlian watching an English movie in which the hero is -- in his own words -- "Giri-Giri Peck".
Its the influence of native language.

In Tamil (per my knowledge) there is only one letter for 4 different sounds (th related sounds, ph related ones). So Mohan is called Mogan, Durga some times becomes turga, similarly cold/ gold, .... Some of these apply to Malayalam as well.

Telugu has different style, it is like Italian all words end with vowels like Ramayana (mu), baharat(h)a(mu), .. pizza, roma, gucci, sphagetti, pasta, sreenivasa, ....

Its similar to English across the world. We interacted extensively with Australians for a year. Ostralia, I10Bee (for E10B) exchanges. Finally one gentleman cleared it all. He said we have three 'i' s english. One is ay (a), one is real i (i) and the other is e (ey).

I finish with what an Australian premier said in Britain

Bison is an animal in your country, in Australia thats where we wash our hands (basin).

Forgot to mention, one child from Karnataka decided his teacher in U.P (present Uttaranchal) does not know english because the teacher pronunces brush as bruce.

Last edited by sreenivass : 20th April 2007 at 21:32.
Old 20th April 2007, 23:17   #96
Team-BHP Support

I occasionally open support tickets with Microsoft developer's tech support. These are not like the usual one time calls, it often takes 2-10 days to solve an issue and I have to talk to the same agent many times. When I used to do this from USA, I mostly used to get Indian tech support agents, which was fine with me. They used to be extra helpful knowing I was Indian.

After I moved to India I tried opening similar support ticket with Microsoft. First shock, the number was not toll-free, instead it was an international number. Second, the call went to China. Ever tried talking English with a chinese resident, it was pretty much a Tendjewberrymud experience. Now I strictly stick to email to get Microsoft support, yeah, it is still the chinese.
Old 20th April 2007, 23:20   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

rks- that was hilarious
Old 20th April 2007, 23:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, you are wrong, thats giri giri beg.
Old 21st April 2007, 00:15   #99
BHPian

I have seen how ZERO is pronounced in various ways...the hilarious one is by Telugu guys..its gero...
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:15   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenasked View Post
I have seen how ZERO is pronounced in various ways...the hilarious one is by Telugu guys..its gero...
so true...yeah the Z gets pronounced like a G. .
Old 11th April 2010, 16:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

LOL, then how about "cousin" becoming "kajin" up north?!

And I have heard the usage "He ij afraiding" in Delhi, when the speaker actually meant "He is afraid"!

Last edited by Gansan : 11th April 2010 at 16:47.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

How about this. My friend from Lucknow says that some people call Maruti 800 as Maruti Aat Sow!
Old 11th April 2010, 19:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
How about this. My friend from Lucknow says that some people call Maruti 800 as Maruti Aat Sow!
Right you are, sir. Vista has become Bh-ista, Manza is Munja. In Haryana Sumo is Sommu, in Punjab Maruti is Mrutti.

Reproduced below is a conversation between a desi waiter and and a classy socialite lady at a 5 Star Marriage reception:

Waiter, carrying a platter of Chicken Tangri Kebabs{leg pieces}: Madam, will you have some cock?

Lady: (Infuriated) What is this nonsense, I'll have you fired!

Waiter : Madam you are very wild, lift one leg at least?

The lady fainted!
Old 11th April 2010, 19:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
We guys from the South feel the same way about North Indians excluding the 'a' in Rama and Mahabharatha
Ha Ha, I agree that is common in the south. I have heard North-Indians say "Boofer" for "Woofer", "Applicason" for "Application", "Stason" for "Station", "Bikas" for "Vikas", "eggjactly" for "exactly", "shat" for "Shirt", "Bhuvan Sir" for "Bhubaneshwar" and lots more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
So the topic was Wave & Wave Lenght. So he said " Today we are going to learn Babejs and Babejs Lenght" I got up and my eyes were wide open. For a moment I thought that it would be the most interesting Maths class ever!! Actually he pronounced Wave and Waves Lenght as that.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
In Tamil (per my knowledge) there is only one letter for 4 different sounds (th related sounds, ph related ones). So Mohan is called Mogan, Durga some times becomes turga, similarly cold/ gold, .... Some of these apply to Malayalam as well.
NO, there are separate letters for different sounds in Malayalam unlike Tamil. In fact, Malayalam is known to have the richest script among all languages in India. Although, I still cannot understand why people pronounce 'circuit' as 'sircute'. I have heard this 'sircute' stuff from majority of south indian dialects.

Spike
Old 11th April 2010, 20:06   #105
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious thread!

I recently bumped upon a Bengali ex-colleague of mine. We were meeting after about 3 years. I asked him where are you nowadays?
He replied Bolbho. I had a straight face since i knew he was refering to Volvo but my wife had a difficult time

I really love when I get cold marketing calls from Mallus (No offence meant please). I keep talking to them just to hear them roll and twist. This is just music to my ears.

A few months back I had been to CET Trivandrum for Campus reqs and needless to say had a great time listening to all the students

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks