Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 03:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Taliban behead Indian engineer before deadline

Very sad to hear this news and see his family devastated by the news. I hope the dirty terrorists behind this act suffer.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060501/main1.htm

Taliban behead Indian engineer before deadline
Rajeev Sharma
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, April 30
The black visage of the Taliban was waved to India again today as the terrorist outfit jumped their own deadline and killed their captive K. Suryanarayan, the second Indian worker to be killed in Afghanistan in less than six months.
The brutal killing of the kidnapped Indian has thrown up a new foreign policy and security challenge for New Delhi and engaged the attention of the UPA government at the highest level.
The telecom engineer was killed more than eight hours before the captors’ deadline was to expire at 6 pm today.
Suryanarayan’s decapitated body and severed head were found in Hassan Kariez district of Zabul province, the same area from where he was kidnapped at 6 pm yesterday.
Taliban spokesperson Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, who yesterday announced a 24-hour deadline for the release of Suryanarayan, said militants shot Suryanarayan after he tried to fight and escape from his captors.
Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran pointed out that the fact that Suryanarayan had been killed even before the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) team arrived in Kabul this morning indicated that it was a premeditated killing.
Mr Saran said the Taliban were a terror group and should be recognised as such by the international community, including Pakistan.
Indian Ambassador to Kabul Rakesh Sood sent a team to Zabul in the morning to determine the veracity of information that a decapitated body was lying in the area.
The news was picked up by television channels, forcing the MEA to issue a statement at 11 am.
The terse MEA statement said: “We are aware that the body of a person has been found in Afghanistan, between Qalat and Ghazni. A team has been sent to the location to verify the identity of the body. We must await an official confirmation from Afghanistan authorities before coming to any conclusion.”
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned Suryanarayan’s killing and called on the nation to remain unified in the face of terrorism, his Media Adviser Sanjaya Baru said.
Suryanarayan (41) had been employed in Afghanistan since January by a Bahrain-based company, Al-Moayed.
The company has been contracted by an Afghan mobile phone company, Roshan, to expand its mobile phone network across volatile provinces in southern Afghanistan.
Four Macedonians of Albanian descent were kidnapped and killed in the same area last month, purportedly by Taliban militants.
Suryanarayan’s kidnapping is fifth incident since December, 2003, aimed at destabilising India’s influence in the highly-strategic Afghanistan.
The first incident was of two Indian workers, P. Murali and G. Vardharai, who were kidnapped on December 9, 2003 and released by their captors, believed to be either Taliban or local armed gangs, 15 days later.
The two Indians were employed on the US-funded $270 million Kandahar-Kabul road project.
The second incident was of an Indian telecommunications engineer, Sanjiv, working for the Afghan Wireless Company, who was shot dead on November 8, 2003.
The third incident was the abduction of Maniyappan Raman Kutty of the BRO, working on the Zaranj-Delaram road project in Afghanistan, along with three Afghan nationals on November 19, 2005.
Also, there was a loss of consignment of explosives meant for use by the BRO for its project in Afghanistan, while it was being shipped from Mumbai between December 22 and 23, 2005.
Six containers carrying explosives for the BRO disappeared from the deck of the ship “MV EUGENIA”. The ship was brought into Mumbai Anchorage on December 23, 2005. While four containers were extricated, two could not be traced.

Last edited by bigman : 1st May 2006 at 03:33.
Old 1st May 2006, 03:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

i feel terribly sorry for my Indian bro.....dont u think Indian govt shd wake up now.... huh!

Last edited by panky12345 : 1st May 2006 at 03:47.
Old 1st May 2006, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

heard about this in the news yesterday. terrorism is at it's peak. it's time for some drastic measures. somebody should evacuate all the good citizens of Taliban and nuke the damn place; i'm sorry, but stuff like this angers me.

Bush, if you're listening, stop going after Iraq- you've done nothing but increase the oil prices. for once, do the right thing and pulverize Taliban. i bet Laden's hiding out there. after all that plane high-jacking, hostage crisises, blah-blah...c'mon, take a hint, will ya..?

Last edited by veyron1 : 1st May 2006 at 13:10.
Old 1st May 2006, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse, this being India, no one will do anything about it. Politicians will make some right noises like "This will not be tolerated..." and "We will compensate them.." but thats it.
Old 1st May 2006, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

the company for which Suryanarayanan worked, has already announced a compensation figure for his family. 20 lacs. and they're going to look after his kids' educational expenses. BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT. if the govt. can't ensure the safety of the country's citizens, who can? if our own country disowns us, what's the whole damn point of "citizenship" ? i am 110% sure that if it were U.S, German or British citizens going through this trauma, Taliban would be looking at the better ends of some MBT's and F-22's firing barrels...!!
Old 1st May 2006, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get all the indians out of there as soon as possible is all i have to say.
How many deaths will it take for this damn government to wake up!
My condolences to the family of the deceased.

Drifter
Old 1st May 2006, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wish there was some way to give it back as we got it!!

I really like the Israeli SOP in these things ... no one hijacks their aircraft anymore - cause they know its useless... and DANGEROUS!!

My heart goes out to the family....

Cant help wonder about the hundreds of our countrymen who are currently there too!!
Old 1st May 2006, 14:14   #8
BHPian

Guys i know how life is over there as those places. Actually they kidnapped the engineer and demanded all Indians to leave the country or he will die. Well nobudy took any initiatives which lead to his death.

Today in the paper, they gave the interview of his co-worker,i.e, the manager who was his room mate. He engineer was the deputy manager. The coworker came to india on a visit while thhis incident took place and he is going back there in 2 weeks time, wen ppl are rejectin he sayz, "Iam the manager and its ma job, i cant just leave the work, i have to be there"

The man used to work in some cables and poles wiring stuff company. God alones knows why are the talibans cryin on the name of Indians...........God Speed and give all courage to his family to overcome this very sad demise.
Old 1st May 2006, 16:40   #9
BANNED

Hey , Well it definitely is a sad incident when anyone is taken hostage and killed !!! But why does everyone turn around and point the finger at the government .... He was a grown up who probably knew the situation there but probably never thought he would be part of it or felt the higher wages were worth the risk , cud be a thousand reasons which none of us probably know but he went and his family is suffering now .....

We can continue attacking the Taliban but its for us individuals to be responsible for our actions ... can't start blaming the Givt for everything !! If you remember the Kandahar incident ... I was in favor of letting them do what they wanted to instead of releasing the hard core terrorists who in turn would kill a lot more Indians but the relatives of the passengers were never gonna see it that way ,... why not ??? The Govt gave in to their demands and those families are all unaffected but in turn a lot of other families did suffer so its a vicious cycle but its not always the Govts fault .....

Cheers

PS -- My condolences to the family and hope they find strength to move on ..
Old 1st May 2006, 16:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just out in the local news site.... The dead engineer has a second wife and she wants a share of the money his family is getting. She doesn't have enough evidence to prove they both are married.
Old 1st May 2006, 17:05   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Just out in the local news site.... The dead engineer has a second wife and she wants a share of the money his family is getting. She doesn't have enough evidence to prove they both are married.
Hey, Now thats another shocker for his wife and kids who probably still reeling from his death .... for them !! This is even worse I guess ... according to the media some more fuel for the fire , will be interesting to see how they twist this piece of information for the viewers !!!

Cheers
Old 1st May 2006, 20:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Indian government came out with the most idiotic statement after this incident. Do they think all Indians are fools to believe this statement?

We will never bow to acts of terror: India

Looks like they forgot the two incidents where they did bow to acts of terror. The Mufti Mohd. Sayed's daughter's kidnapping and the IC 814 hijacking. The government needs to check it's own record and facts before making such hollow statements.
Old 1st May 2006, 21:03   #13
BHPian

Only Isreal's way of handling terrorists work.

Their policy is "We wont negotiate with Terrorists". Their logic is simple if we negotiate once and give away even a penny in exchange, humans are smart to figure out that kidnapping is an easy way to earn what ever they want.

Just to figure how Isreal responded to one of their Flight hijack is simply unbelievable. Its too good to be true.

Most of you might have read this, for those who missed out read on the story. Just compare this with the indian response to kandahar hijack...

http://www1.idf.il/DOVER/site/mainpa...3&bScope=false
Old 1st May 2006, 21:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
looks much like Harrison Ford of Air Force One!! only lip service, no action....hope someday to get an american passport!
Old 2nd May 2006, 02:40   #15
BHPian

I jst cant seem to understand why this SH*T happens. I mean whats the point in killing someone innocent.

I jst so happened to once watch a video of a beheading.. n it stil haunts me till date. :-(

N i wont go the diplomatic way, saying "I condemn it", but i feel its high time all govts combined take some steps to stop this #$&@

Most Viewed