Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 17:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Beware of Questionable Charitable Organizations & NGO's

My father used to donate a certain amount every year to CRY. However from last 2-3 years, there are so many people calling on behalf of CRY, he has stopped donations to them. He and me as well now give charity to the lokbiradari prakalpa run by Dr. Prakash Amte at hemalkasa.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:50   #17
BHPian

From what I heard CRY like organisations are Umbrella NGO or Feeder organisation. They in turn finance projects run by other smaller NGOs who do field level work. I think the logic is, most of the small NGOs who actually work on the ground have no bandwidth or exprtise to collect the contribution.
Old 6th November 2012, 14:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
My father used to donate a certain amount every year to CRY. However from last 2-3 years, there are so many people calling on behalf of CRY, he has stopped donations to them. He and me as well now give charity to the lokbiradari prakalpa run by Dr. Prakash Amte at hemalkasa.
Prakash Amte also runs Maharogi Sewa Samiti. Donations can be made over NEFT, IFSC Code: MAHB0000792, Account number: 20255728439, e-mail: vikasamte@anandwan.in
Old 6th November 2012, 14:38   #19
BHPian

Karmanyevaadhikaraste maa phaleshu kadachana
Maa karma phalaheturbhuh maa te sangostvakarmani

You have a right only over your deed and not the fruits thereof
Do not let the fruits of your deed be your motive; do not let your deed be governed by consequences
Old 6th November 2012, 16:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post

Do not let the fruits of your deed be your motive; do not let your deed be governed by consequences
Donate but do not expect anything in return is the right motive absolutely no dispute on that.

However here the point of discussion is slightly different. It is whether your donation is indeed reaching the needy, or just getting wasted into the pockets of middlemen / funding agencies ?

No one is expecting any returns from what they are donating, just want to make sure we are not feeding wolves in sheep's clothing.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:22   #21
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post

Implicit meaning in the present context is

Donate and do not expect you will go to heaven /fame etc .( this will be the reward)

Any donation should be secret (gupt dan). If one were to tom tom the fact that, he/she donated this much every year etc, he/she actually seeking publicity/fame as reward for the donation.
Then it does not serve the purpose

There is another thing called "Apatradan" meaning one should not donate to undeserving

Hence it is important that one should see that the donation reaches the needy and deserving

Last edited by rkg : 6th November 2012 at 20:23.
Old 8th November 2012, 16:07   #22
BHPian

I have some old books from my engg days that i want to donate to an NGO for needy students. If any T-BHPian is associated with any such NGO, can you please give me contact no or email address. 30+ books are there, all in good condition.
Old 30th December 2012, 20:07   #23
BHPian

Wanted to donate an amount for any orphanage before the close of this year. A quick search in team-bhp lead me to this thread and a donation to Help Age India. A big thanks to Team-bhp.
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

From last couple of weeks calls started coming to me from two societies called

Help and Care

SenseintIndia

asking for help/donations.

Do anyone here has any thing to say about them. Don't want to readily discard them.

Thanks
Fordday.
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see that why no one has mentioned Prime Minister's National Relief Fund or Chief Minister's National Relief Fund as almost most of us make the donation online or on phone via Credit Card and most of us aren't sure regarding the utilization of amount by the organization then what is stopping you from donating on their website.
Such donations qualify for 100% deduction and are audited by CAG.
Old 3rd November 2014, 20:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am surprised to see that why no one has mentioned Prime Minister's National Relief Fund or Chief Minister's National Relief Fund
Aren't these run be the same politicians and bureaucrats who make our tax money vanish into thin air? Why put more into a black hole?
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

So you are of the view that 99.99% of politicians and bureaucrats are corrupt and won't even spare money given as donation. I am surprised to say the least.

I strongly believe atleast the PMNRF money is being put to good use. To my surprise when I made small donation while floods in Kashmir I read that last year the total donations in PMNRF were around 17.59 crores only.

Somewhere we have to trust someone someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Aren't these run be the same politicians and bureaucrats who make our tax money vanish into thin air? Why put more into a black hole?

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd November 2014 at 21:14.
Old 6th November 2014, 11:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
So you are of the view that 99.99% of politicians and bureaucrats are corrupt and won't even spare money given as donation. I am surprised to say the least.

Somewhere we have to trust someone someday.
Where did I say that 99.99 percent are corrupt? That was your interpretation. But I do stand by my view that majority are corrupt. It is a fact, whether you like it or not.

Govt charities are already funded by tax money. There are many genuine charities near home who are doing the ground level work and are mostly cash strapped. IMO a donation to these will have more impact.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:04   #29
Team-BHP Support

Call me cynical, but I can't bring myself to trust anyone claiming to help the poor/needy. There are just too many shady organisations around, and such morons make sure even the genuine ones are looked at with suspicion.

Over the years, I've developed a habit of helping someone who I can see benefiting from my actions. Most government schools run volunteer teaching programs we can help with on weekends, most of us have maids or other laborers around us with kids who have no decent clothes, not enough food and no way to get a decent education. I prefer getting involved in such instances. I get the satisfaction of having actually done someone good (instead of just giving away some disposable income), and they benefit from what they get too. Win-win, instead of making a donation and wondering what happened to it.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Recently there was a case where some religious organization in Tamil Nadu authorized a organization in Bengaluru to collect donations. These guys in turn outsourced it to one more organization and were promised a percentage of money. Thousands of crores (yes) was collected and the actual people who collected the money did not get what they were promised. They filed a cheating case.

After this I stopped giving anything especially to religious ones. The others keep calling if you give them once and its a big irritant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks