Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:40   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I have tried my Polaroid's with both Llumar and 3M sunfilms, got the same results.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:38   #62
BHPian

Re: Powered sun-glasses

Recently i started a desperate search for prescription swimming goggles here in Bangalore but failed miserably. I have power of -2 and -3 and swimming without glasses was a real pain. But luck favored and now i know where to get them in Bangalore. Will guide anyone if they need them
Old 25th February 2011, 21:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Are you talking about only the swimming goggles ? Do they also have powered Polaroid sun glasses for driving ?
Old 7th March 2011, 01:50   #64
BHPian

I'm in the same boat as all of you. In fact it's now a full size cruise ship given how many of us are looking for a good solution to prescription sunglasses.

I found something called Stick-On Lenses while trying to find a simple solution to powered sunglasses.

Check this out: Seemores stick on reading lenses for your sunglasses.

They sell stick on lenses for your sunglasses or diving goggles / masks. The catch however is that it's only for hypermetropia (longsightedness).

Someone else out there might have what we need.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

My points are -5 and -5.5

I made a powered sunglass from Lawrence & Mayo, Kochi. I am totally happy with the results.

You have to pay a little more for a thin glass.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 7th March 2011, 13:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My points are -5 and -5.5

I made a powered sunglass from Lawrence & Mayo, Kochi. I am totally happy with the results.

You have to pay a little more for a thin glass.

Cheers!

Vinu
How much did you pay? What lenses were they and what index?
Old 7th March 2011, 14:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

@ beejay It happened on early 2009. I paid 3500 for glass alone (it is permanently tinted - brown). Huge difference in price between various thickness of glass which is rated in mm. Index details I will let you know later. I have to search my eye-card.

It will be a bit difficult to fix power glass to aviator types due to large glass area. So you have to identify a frame with less glass area (vertical measurement).

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 7th March 2011, 15:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

It will be a bit difficult to fix power glass to aviator types due to large glass area. So you have to identify a frame with less glass area (vertical measurement).
Yes, its always best to go for a smaller frame for higher number as the center would usually be thicker than the edges.

Nowadays you can tint in many a shades.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Yes, its always best to go for a smaller frame for higher number as the center would usually be thicker than the edges.

Nowadays you can tint in many a shades.
to think of it, no fresnel lenses in eye glasses?
Old 20th October 2013, 10:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here goes. A couple of years back I got my eye test done at a shop in a mall and got my first glasses. Last year I went to an optician (optometrist?) and confirmed my vision and also got another pair of glasses done. I had ordered Nikon glasses. They aren't polarized but they do have some sort of antiglare coating.

A year or more later I find that when driving at night I would be more comfortable without glasses than with them, had it not been for the vision being blurred. So the glasses aren't reflecting glare much, maybe they are causing more of it.

These glasses cost me 7k and the frame is aleady showing some wear. I wonder if a simple and more durable frame would be better.

Should I go with lenses made of glass or stick to plastic? While the Nikon lenses do the basic optical function well, they have got tiny scratches and that's not good. Also should I opt for ordinary/non-branded polarized glasses for night driving? Or will photochromatic be better?

Another thing is clip-on magnifiers. I have checked out a couple of product websites selling clip-on magnifiers for glasses, but not sure of their quality or service. Are any such products available locally?
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Ok, here goes. A couple of years back I got my eye test done at a shop in a mall and got my first glasses. Last year I went to an optician (optometrist?) and confirmed my vision and also got another pair of glasses done. I had ordered Nikon glasses. They aren't polarized but they do have some sort of antiglare coating.

A year or more later I find that when driving at night I would be more comfortable without glasses than with them, had it not been for the vision being blurred. So the glasses aren't reflecting glare much, maybe they are causing more of it.

These glasses cost me 7k and the frame is aleady showing some wear. I wonder if a simple and more durable frame would be better.

Should I go with lenses made of glass or stick to plastic? While the Nikon lenses do the basic optical function well, they have got tiny scratches and that's not good. Also should I opt for ordinary/non-branded polarized glasses for night driving? Or will photochromatic be better?

Another thing is clip-on magnifiers. I have checked out a couple of product websites selling clip-on magnifiers for glasses, but not sure of their quality or service. Are any such products available locally?
First, do you wear single vision or progressives?

I am assuming you got the Nikon Seecoat, This is an anti reflective treatment and not an anti glare.
An anti reflective treatment primarily makes your lenses invisible and is most suited for higher numbers. We make it a point to sell Hi index lenses only with an anti reflective treatment.
As an optician, i can vouch for the fact that none of the lenses in the market will completely cut out glare especially glare from on coming traffic during night. However it can greatly reduce the time for you to regain normal vision as compared to glasses without the treatment.
SCRATCHES are you biggest enemy. Even a small hairline scratch can hamper your vision to a great extent. That is why you find it better to drive without glasses.

Glass offers the highest resistance to scratch and is best in terms of optics, downside weight and breakage.
Choose what you prefer. If you have a high number, also have a look at lenses from Seiko.

For driving, have a look at drivewear, these are polarised photochroms, they are green indoor and the transisiton is to brown. I have a pair of Drivewear Prescriptions that are in the Lab on an Oakley Plantiff. Will post pictures soon.

Also just a basic mirror coat can help reduce glare. Its available in Gold and Silver, will post a picture in my next message.

All these products are available with most opticians in the country. All the best.
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the picture of the Mirror Coats on G15 tints.

Why do you need magnifiers? Best is to manage without one. They are available locally. If its for some task you have, try getting hold of good ones from Carl Zeiss.
Attached Thumbnails
Powered sun-glasses-img_00000216.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2013, 18:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

Here is the picture of the Mirror Coats on G15 tints.

Why do you need magnifiers? Best is to manage without one. They are available locally. If its for some task you have, try getting hold of good ones from Carl Zeiss.
Thanks for the info. This mirror coating: how much does it cost? How durable is it? And does it help reduce glare at the same time retain good nighttime visibility?

Is it advisable to get it done on my existing glasses or should I try it on something cheap first?

The magnifier is actually something I could use in presentations. Recently I had a chance to attend one where the board was a few metres away and we couldn't read a thing - not a fault of the glass. But a magnifier would have helped!
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This mirror coating: how much does it cost? How durable is it? And does it help reduce glare at the same time retain good nighttime visibility?

Is it advisable to get it done on my existing glasses or should I try it on something cheap first?

The magnifier is actually something I could use in presentations. Recently I had a chance to attend one where the board was a few metres away and we couldn't read a thing - not a fault of the glass. But a magnifier would have helped!
The Mirror coated lenses are 1500 a pair. You cannot use it at night time.

Im not sure if a magnifier will help for that distance.
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. It means for reducing headlight glare there is no easy answer.

I haven't dropped my glasses yet, so maybe I should try glass next time.

Most Viewed