Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 14:24   #286
BANNED

Re: Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations

If 2 brothers or a husband & wife have purchased a home together (both their names on the ownership documents), what is the cheapest/easiest way to convert it to single ownership? Does it have to go through registration/stamp duty again - because that will be quite expensive?

Alternately, is there a way to prepare a legal document which says I renounce my share of the property & gift it to my husband/wife/brother which is currently a joint owner?
Old 9th August 2018, 16:45   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If 2 brothers or a husband & wife have purchased a home together (both their names on the ownership documents), what is the cheapest/easiest way to convert it to single ownership? Does it have to go through registration/stamp duty again - because that will be quite expensive?

Alternately, is there a way to prepare a legal document which says I renounce my share of the property & gift it to my husband/wife/brother which is currently a joint owner?
Get a Gift Deed executed through a Competent Lawyer. You will have to bear lawyer fees and minimal registration fees.
Old 9th August 2018, 17:01   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Get a Gift Deed executed through a Competent Lawyer. You will have to bear lawyer fees and minimal registration fees.

Thank you.

For a home costing 1 crore how much would the approximate lawyer fees & registration fees. Ballpark? And how do I go around searching for a competent lawyer?

EDIT: https://www.livemint.com/Money/PYvt8...-valid-it.html

This link says that stamp duty & registration would be same as that for a regular sale. Which would be prohibitively expensive? Are there any other options - may be not as legally enforceable as this but at least something basic - since the parties trust each other, this is just a notional thing.

Last edited by carboy : 9th August 2018 at 17:03.
Old 9th August 2018, 17:09   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

For a home costing 1 crore how much would the approximate lawyer fees & registration fees. Ballpark? And how do I go around searching for a competent lawyer?

EDIT: https://www.livemint.com/Money/PYvt8...-valid-it.html

This link says that stamp duty & registration would be same as that for a regular sale. Which would be prohibitively expensive? Are there any other options - may be not as legally enforceable as this but at least something basic - since the parties trust each other, this is just a notional thing.
If you wanted me recommend a Lawyer in Bangalore, i would have helped but it seems you are based out of Mumbai.

We did a similar transaction in Karnataka through a lawyer where damages were less than 10 grand including lawyer fees & registration charges.

Request you to reach out to few Civil lawyer or agents who will be around Registrar offices, they will provide you an guesstimate based on which you can take an informed decision.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:06   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Hello Carboy,

My father gifted an apartment in his name to my sister via gift deed which was registered. Overall cost was around Rs 35,000 and everything went smoothly. Lawyer was one Mr Chirag Shah based in Andheri west. Most of the lawyers quoted somewhere between 30 - 35,000. Hope this helps.
Old 10th August 2018, 16:06   #291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
We did a similar transaction in Karnataka through a lawyer where damages were less than 10 grand including lawyer fees & registration charges.

Did the transaction involve a part owner becoming a full owner or it 0 to 100 ownership?

Also, will a relinquishment deed serve the purpose in this case?
Old 10th August 2018, 21:31   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

This might be the point to raise my question!

When my wife and I bought our house, it was registered in wife's name. It just avoided any questions about non-Indian property ownership, even though I had a PIO card at the time. We did set about changing the ownership to joint names, but someone introduced us to a hifi lawyer and we soon found ourselves facing a large bill. We paid up to that point and ran away!

So what is the situation and cost, stamp duty, etc, with a change from one owner to joint owners, between husband and wife? The house is in Chennai.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:50   #293
BANNED

A relative of mine is looking for a divorce lawyer. So there are a few questions

- How does one going about looking for a divorce lawyer? Nobody him or I know has gone through a divorce.

- How much will a lawyer charge for an initial consultation?

- If it's not going to be contested much, then how much will be the total expenditure for just the lawyer?
Old 25th August 2018, 22:23   #294
BHPian

Quote:
A relative of mine is looking for a divorce lawyer. So there are a few questions

- How does one going about looking for a divorce lawyer? Nobody him or I know has gone through a divorce.

- If it's not going to be contested much, then how much will be the total expenditure for just the lawyer?
Ask around. Ask your friends and relatives if they know a good lawyer.

Don't fall for one who asks for a fixed sum for the divorce. A friend's brother who was going through a divorce had a lawyer who asked for a fixed sum in the beginning. After the verdict was announced , the sleazy advocate started extorting 2 lakh over the agreed amount with the judgement copy as a bait.

To note : I am no lawyer and have no idea about the basis on which prices are fixed.
Old 25th August 2018, 22:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:

I don't really know how to answer the first question but the best way is find a reference because if you go alone finding a lawyer and get caught up with a wrong one, there are several ways they will make money from you for just nothing and you will be conned there are several cheap tricks today used by non reputable lawyers and you won't even know.
We came across a incident in court where a man hired a lawyer on the spot and paid the advance and the so called fake lawyer disappeared.

The fees depends from Rs. 1000 to I don't know depends on the lawyer some would even consult for free. Some might give you wrong advice and you would get caught in a string of cases. You see this is a profession some are there to make there reputation and fight fair and others are there for making money by hook or by crook.

Well if it is a mutual divorce you can expect anywhere near to Rs 20,000 to Rs. 25,000.

I would advice everyone not to go on lawyer hunting process because you might get caught with wrong one and then you will lose money as well as time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Don't fall for one who asks for a fixed sum for the divorce. A friend's brother who was going through a divorce had a lawyer who asked for a fixed sum in the beginning. After the verdict was announced , the sleazy advocate started extorting 2 lakh over the agreed amount with the judgement copy as a bait.
Well my mother is a lawyer and fixed sum means fix sum, as I said there are good and bad both. It depends if a lawyer has a reputation or he is a hook or by crook dirty lawyer.
Old 25th August 2018, 23:37   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Recently a friend's brother went through this ordeal and he paid around Rs. 11,000 as fees to the lawyer in my city.

Other than the fixed fees, the lawyer did extracted 1000 rupees twice here and there and another 1500 rupees citing as bribe to the employees at court.

Please note that his was a mutual divorce in which there were only two court hearings.
Old 26th August 2018, 14:49   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Ask around. Ask your friends and relatives if they know a good lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
but the best way is find a reference .
That's why I posted here - asking for a reference. My friend doesn't know anyone who has had a divorce. So he asked me. But i also don't know anyone.

So does someone here have a reference for a decent lawyer based in Bombay? Eastern suburbs preferred but it's not a deal breaker.
Old 12th November 2018, 11:03   #298
Senior - BHPian

Dear lawyers
I need an advice on what should be the best way to handle the case in the below scenario.

We were planning for Package tour to Andaman and found the travel agency called Island tour packages in Chennai. I talked to the Owner and requested for holiday package to Andaman 6N/7D for 12 people.

We got a package quotation and were asked to pay the advance of One Lakh Twenty thousand. I paid the amount online transfer to the account with company name and got the payment receipts.

The Company did not provide the tour package and canceled the trip since they were not able to procure the flight and ship tickets. Also, they did not return the money of 1,20,000 that was taken as advance.

I have been following up with them since 1 month. The owner talks to me very promptly and says confidently, that he would pay the money in next half an hour, 1 hour etc. But the money never comes to my account.

Request your advice on how to handle this situation. Should I go to Police? Or consumer forum? Please advice

Last edited by gkveda : 12th November 2018 at 11:04.
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:59   #299
BHPian

Hi All,

Can anyone advise me what would be total cost ( including govt fees, lawyer fees and any overheads or under tables) of executing a general power of attorney in Pune. This will be for my brother who is now a British citizen and will be in India to execute this in name of my father.

It would be great if you can guide to me a suitable lawyer in Pune too.

Purpose is mainly for property renting and selling rights.

Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:08   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Dear lawyers
I need an advice on what should be the best way to handle the case in the below scenario.

Request your advice on how to handle this situation. Should I go to Police? Or consumer forum? Please advice

Issue them a legal notice calling upon them to refund the amount with interest and also a sum quantified as compensation for the harassment suffered. In the notice, give a time line of say 7 days to comply failing which threaten legal action (both civil and criminal). Thereafter, it is advisable to submit a complaint before District Consumer Forum. You can handle the matter in consumer forum on your own without engaging a lawyer. Let me know if you need any further help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks