Team-BHP - Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/128833-calling-lawyers-cas-forum-provide-free-consultations.html)

This is basically along the same lines as http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ultations.html, but for lawyers and CAs.

Am quite certain there would be enough and more lawyers and CAs to help out fellow BHPians.

Some ground rules-
  1. no solicitation
  2. If you're introducing yourself as being available to provide pro bono work, do mention what you can do and what you cant
  3. If you're looking for free and friendly advice, make sure its not unreasonable. Asking whether a Sale Deed needs to be registered is fine. Asking for someone to do file your taxes is not.

As for me, I dont do tax and criminal law. Other than that, happy to help. :)

Great initiative arjyamaj, I am Lawyer based in Delhi. Queries most welcome, except Tax laws. More than happy to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjyamaj (Post 2955847)
This is basically along the same lines as http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ultations.html, but for lawyers and CAs.

Am quite certain there would be enough and more lawyers and CAs to help out fellow BHPians.

Some ground rules-
  1. no solicitation
  2. If you're introducing yourself as being available to provide pro bono work, do mention what you can do and what you cant
  3. If you're looking for free and friendly advice, make sure its not unreasonable. Asking whether a Sale Deed needs to be registered is fine. Asking for someone to do file your taxes is not.

As for me, I dont do tax and criminal law. Other than that, happy to help. :)

Slightly OT;
Gentlemen, if you can share details of / offer legal internships to law students as well, it would of be great help to many of them.

I can help guide on Cyber-Law (Done a Diploma, and in the same field), but I am only an advisor, so you would need a practicing lawyer.

@latentpotential: thanks for the thread:)

Not sure if this is OT but for people looking for some assistance around the recent VAT directive towards property in Maharashtra here is a link: http://www.flatvat.com/

Hi Guys,
I am a lawyer myself and if anyone has any specific questions I can answer them. I am lawyer practicing at a small place i.e., a taluka place and I can answer to simple legal problems or querries and may not be able to answer the querries on corporate laws or so.

I needed advice from a lawyer. I had lost my SBI credit card in 2001 in Hyderabad & reported it & subsequently paid the dues & closed the card. However, very recently a 3rd party collections agency called me asking to pay up 1,92,000 odd. They sent transactions on an excel sheet which dated back to 2002 onwards will recently. I sent them proof of my absence from the country, also found out they had never registered a lost card complaint.
Can I sue them for harassment? I have enough proof that the card was not used by me post 2001 after I paid off the complete dues. I am willing to pay the required fees to a lawyer but needed more clarity on if I can really file a suit.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_jg
I needed advice from a lawyer. I had lost my SBI credit card in 2001 in Hyderabad & reported it & subsequently paid the dues & closed the card. However, very recently a 3rd party collections agency called me asking to pay up 1,92,000 odd. They sent transactions on an excel sheet which dated back to 2002 onwards will recently. I sent them proof of my absence from the country, also found out they had never registered a lost card complaint.
Can I sue them for harassment? I have enough proof that the card was not used by me post 2001 after I paid off the complete dues. I am willing to pay the required fees to a lawyer but needed more clarity on if I can really file a suit.

SBI runs its credit card in partnership with GE money which is probably the worst financial services company. GE money harass their customers to no end. I had one SBI card and had stopped using that due to various issues with them. I had a Credit balance of about 600 Rs and wrote them to refund my money and close the card. then they started deducted senseless charges and never answered about refunding the balance. After fighting for few months, I simply gave up.

Yes you must file a suit of harassment and claim high damages. Perhaps that may teach them a lesson.

Arjyamaj
Hi Great of you to start this thread.Thanks.

Mb jg
Hi
As far as I remember the only way they can recover is to file a civil suit.A civil suit cannot be filed after 3 years of the last transaction.In the excel sheet what is the last date of the transaction?Have they sent any letter or notice to you earlier?In case they have filed a suit or sent you a notice have you or anybody in your family acknowledged it?
Further they cannot threaten you because it is against the law.In case they call you the next time try and tape record the conversation.
I am not a lawyer but I am sure of my facts.
IMHO this case comes under the purview of consumer act where getting justice would be cheaper.Also you do have grounds to file a suit under the consumer act for mental harassment.
Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_jg (Post 2956181)

If I were you, I'd ignore the call unless they call multiple times and start harassing. An excel document holds no value IMO. Tell them to send a proper letter on the bank letter head with the seal and signature and then you'll make payment. If you get that, you can verify the same and decide the further course of action.
Without any written document, you don't have any proof against the bank and all you can probably do is file a harassment case against the caller.

PS: I am no lawyer, just giving my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguar (Post 2957773)
If I were you, I'd ignore the call unless they call multiple times and start harassing. An excel document holds no value IMO. Tell them to send a proper letter on the bank letter head with the seal and signature and then you'll make payment. If you get that, you can verify the same and decide the further course of action.
Without any written document, you don't have any proof against the bank and all you can probably do is file a harassment case against the caller.

PS: I am no lawyer, just giving my opinion.

Thanks Jaguar, that makes sense. Although they have stopped calling after I sent them the relevant documents proving my absence from India during the period they have shown transactions. There are also cheques issued by someone on the account for the bare minimum payments, which are not my cheques. Including cash withdrawals from Hyderabad post my relocation to Pune.
I asked them to trace the person via the cheques issued, also they have issued add on cards in the name of a person I am not associated with or don't even know.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_jg (Post 2957848)
Thanks Jaguar, that makes sense. Although they have stopped calling after I sent them the relevant documents proving my absence from India during the period they have shown transactions. There are also cheques issued by someone on the account for the bare minimum payments, which are not my cheques. Including cash withdrawals from Hyderabad post my relocation to Pune.
I asked them to trace the person via the cheques issued, also they have issued add on cards in the name of a person I am not associated with or don't even know.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Looks like a simple case of mistaken identity. If they have stopped calling you then there is nothing to worry about. But just in case keep records of your having sent them documents that prove you were not in India during the said time frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 2957958)
Looks like a simple case of mistaken identity. If they have stopped calling you then there is nothing to worry about. But just in case keep records of your having sent them documents that prove you were not in India during the said time frame.

Yep, I have the emails with documents attached as proof.

I can see only Lawyers posting in this thread, waiting for the CA's to join in. I have a specific query related to Long term capital gains incurred on the sale of property. What documentation would be needed as supportive if I have to show the LTCG on the property sale when I would file me IT returns. Would the calculations on a A4 paper would suffice or is there specific format? I had posted this query earlier in some other thread but got no response.

Hello all , not lawyer yet but I am in my 3rd year of law school .

Will help in which ever way possible :)