Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2006, 05:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

World Radio subscription

i think they have something called "world radio" that was introduced recently (in Delhi).....just like XM and Sirius that they have here in the US. did anyone tried subscribing to that....i mean not particularly in delhi but another parts of country?
Old 3rd May 2006, 07:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

IT's called Satelite Radio.

the company in India is Worldspace. came to India 4-5 years before. my close friend had taken the dealership but as the concept goes

'radio should be free'

It flopped big time then as even the prices were high and the receivers were limited in options and not good.

Worldspace is bigger than XM or sirius.

The best thing to use in cars if u like listening to radio.
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

It was relaunched recently around 8 months ago with very low prices. The initial cost is Rs.2000 along with the receiver. AFAIK, it was a success. I know many families subscribed to World space.
You cannot use it in car as of now. The receiver for the World space should always be facing a certain direction which is not p[ossible in cars.
Old 3rd May 2006, 09:11   #4
BHPian

The best thing to use in cars if u like listening to radio.

Gujju ,it cannot be used in the car.I agree with satish all the way on this.
Old 3rd May 2006, 10:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its the best thing to go for, if u are a music buff.
Not only is the song selection awesome, but the RJs are all no nonsense types, most of them know what they are talking about AND no stupid ads in between!!!

One day when i go camping under the clear starlit skies, am gonna take my worldspace set with me, light a campfire and put on some good ol music.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 3rd May 2006, 10:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Agree on the car part. But the technology is there.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BYieKLS...=247250&cc=01&
This is for XM or Siruis.
Worldspace also has in car receivers but I dont think they are available in India as of now
http://www.worldradioshop.com/faq.htm
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not Organized

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Its the best thing to go for, if u are a music buff.
Not only is the song selection awesome, but the RJs are all no nonsense types, most of them know what they are talking about AND no stupid ads in between!!!
Cheers
Amitoj
Hai all,

World Space is in and I found the music very good where they have set it up in some 4/5 star hotels. I called their number in Bangalore and told them my address in A'bad & they said they'd send in someone for a demo.

2 guys (one 4 feet tall another 6.5) came in January, made a production of opening a big box, took some wires and boxes out, fiddled with it for 30 minutes, stomped around the house and balcony with a receiver.. no result. In the end they said the sat received is kaput and left!!!!

In Februaty, got a call from world spice Bangalore, fixed up time again and the same shorty/lanky team came with a magnetic compass, did the same antics and said the sattelite in orbit is out of kelter!!!!!

Last week, they AGAIN called for another appointment.... n I told them to take a walk....

Bottom line, theya re not organized, no trianing, no clear strategy.... it would be some time before they penetrate.

==Ramky
============
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1
Last week, they AGAIN called for another appointment.... n I told them to take a walk....

Bottom line, theya re not organized, no trianing, no clear strategy.... it would be some time before they penetrate.
I'm quite surprised at your experience - you can do the 'installation' yourself and dont require any technical knowledge other than knowing which direction is where from your house. Then you point it up to the blue sky in the prescribed direction. Thats it!

I used my receiver (Tongshi) in the car and found the quality quite acceptable except when you're on a street flanked by tall buildings.
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:32   #9
F50
Senior - BHPian

Im a subscriber of Worldspace Radio and its damn good.
But I wanted one channel but that is not in the list i.e. Flava, its a Hip-Hop Channel. But 2 weeks back I was doing something with the reciever and suddenly I get what I wanted. Love Jazz too.
But the problem is antenna you have to keep it facing in North-East direction to recieve signals.

And I think Delphi is working with Worldspace to get them in cars.
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:39   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Our office was tired of listening to the same music again and again from the computers hard disk. So we got worldspace for about 2000, including the receiver, installation and 3 months subscription.

Its excellent! The sound quality is crystal and the songs played on hiphop/R&B/ dance totally rock.

Butttttttttttttttttttt:

1. You dont get all stations at some locations of south bombay. This is something they dont tell you in advance. Compared to a Dadar location which gets 40+ channels, my churchgate office gets only 25 - 30.

2. They have a lot of repetition of songs. Much more than regular channels and it gets annoying at times.

GTO
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Bad solution GTO? You have an office. this means you have a broadband line. Or you can buy a 256kbps broadband unlimited line for about 1000rs/month.
So all you need to do is tune into 128kbps internet radio. There you are, bingo! Instand radio. 40 channels, lets talk about 40000
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:49   #12
BHPian

I do not know about the music, but the sales and service is ABSOLUTELY lousy. And I am not a man who uses Capitalised letters that easily.

Their left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. If I started recounting all the mess ups they did, how incompentent their service folks were, it would take a lot of my time and yours.

Though the music and concept of uninterrupted advt free, DJ chatter free is quite nice, the friction caused by the process of getting it subsribed and working it is really too much.

Venkat
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i have heard about their pathetic sales and service.
Luckily, there wasnt much to install so i just bought the set off the shelf, took it home, pointed the antenna in the right direction, and i was all set! Been using it for three years now.
In fact, this time a service rep came to my house to get the service renewed. I dint have to go anywhere. So maybe they are working on improving their sales n stuff.

GTO, am surprised that within a city there is so much variation, inspite of it being a satellite radio.
Old 3rd May 2006, 13:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Every restuarant I go starting from very cheap to modestly expensive play music from World space. 99%, it is always Radio Jankaar.

Even my barbar shop plays World space. Pity I don't have one. Still unable to convince my wife.
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

The same problem here Satish saab. My wife thinks its useless for us. And actually she is right. My house remains locked most of the time. Only a car radio could be of use to me. Unfortunately they do not have an option there.

By the way, I am a bit confused with what some people have posted... Tanveer bhai, tell me something. If a particular car radio can catch worldspace signals in XYZ country why should it not be possible to do the same here? Its the same signal getting beamed over the world... I mean what is the issue in launching this system here? Is it the cost factor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks