Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Applying for an Infant / Minor's Passport - Details *here*

Related Threads

Passport Renewal Procedure

Tatkaal Application for Passport

Dear members- I recently applied for two passports for my children, one 11 month old boy (fresh passport) and a 5 year old girl (Renewal of passport).
I am posting my experience here- because I had to search online a great deal, and make a few tedious phone calls to the Indian passport helpline- to get some clarity on a few issues.

i understand that many of us will be traveling abroad sometime or the other, and a few of us will have to go through this process for children who are infants as well.

Moderators can take a call on whether to merge this thread or leave it as an independent thread. I would personally request it to be left independent- since it will be an easy reference for parents who would otherwise have to plow through the huge volume of data on the 'passports' thread.

My kid (the girl) had an earlier passport - which was obtained after availing the services of a travel agency 5 years ago. It was a bit of a jolt when I came to know that the process was now online, and that there was a difficulty in obtaining appointments, and also that we had to travel to the Passport Seva Kendra in person with the children.

here is my experience with the Bangalore PSK- Sai Arcade

The online experience
I created an ID in my name, and one in my wife's name (This is not essential, as one ID can be used to submit upto 3 applications - that is what the Passport helpline told me), but I decided to create 2 ID's because
1)It would enable me and my wife to log in independently during the short period when the application slots are made available by the passport website.
2)The odds of getting an appointment in the same time slot for my 2 kids would be greatly enhanced.

I have a 4 Mbps internet connection- and I have to say- that helped the most. We managed to get appointment slots on the first try on 3 separate occasions for the Bangalore PSK (why 3? - please read on).

The Application Form
The website (http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...ct/welcomeLink) recommends uploading the application form online. This is convenient, but some might face a bit of a problem in filling up the form.

The Form has to be downloaded, filled, and then uploaded as an XML file. Please use Adobe Acrobat PDF reader for opening the application form, as it allows you to type in the fields, while other software may not. All the essential(mandatory filling) boxes are outlined red.

I had opted for tatkal application for both my kids- because for them the passport validity would be 5 years only (in either tatkal or regular), but tatkal would be much faster in coming albeit for a higher fee.

After filling up the first half of the form on the laptop, I came to the part where the 'period of residence' was to be filled - now here is when I encountered a problem. My son is 11 months old- but the form wouldn't accept the period of stay (in his case 11 months), because it is programmed to accept an input of 1 year or more. Me and my wife had stayed in the present location for over 8 years- so what was I to enter in that field?. I called the Passport helpline- and after a 12 minute wait, was able to talk to an assistant. I asked my query, and was told that it would be enough to put the 'PARENT's period of stay in the present address (and not the baby's age). After I got that cleared up- it was easy to fill the form. I clicked on the 'Validate and Save' button at the bottom of the page- and automatically an XML file was generated and saved. I logged on to the website, and uploaded the file, and was granted an ARN (application reference Number). This was the completion of the first stage. I had uploaded my son's form on my wife's ID, and my daughters on my ID.
There is an option for 'Uploading supporting documents'. This is NOT mandatory as of now.
After uploading the form- you can view the submitted form using a link- there is even an option for printing it- but then again that is NOT needed.

Getting an appointment

On the first try, me and my wife logged on using 2 separate laptops at 5:45 PM.
We went to the link 'manage appointments', and started practicing our speeds at entering the 'captcha codes'. This did come in handy. The 'captcha's are alphaneumeric, and ALWAYS in CAPS- so turn ON your CAPS LOCK for faster typing, and avoiding mistakes. Do make sure you have selected the right PSK location. We opted for the Sai Arcade PSK in Bangalore.

At 5:55 PM, we noticed a sudden dip in the access speeds for the website, and realized that a lot of guys must have logged on. So keeping our hopes up- we went on entering the captcha's a few more times.
At exactly 6 PM everyday, the time slots are released for the public,and these get filled up RAPIDLY. Me and my wife managed to get appointments for both our children at 6:01 PM, and selected the afternoon time slots (12:30-12:45 PM), since I'd read that the noon slots were less sought after. I'd like to point out that our first impulse on seeing the time slots, would be to click on them- but if you are specific about the date- do check the left hand side of the page, or you might end up getting an appointment on another day.
Usually the appointment slots are given 2 days in advance, but you can get an earlier date if there have been cancellations- so watch out for those - don't just assume that you are clicking the time slot for 2 days later. I made this mistake, and we ended up getting 2 different dates (successive dates) with the same time slot.

Also a note- in case you can't make it for your booking- do cancel your appointment so that someone else gets an opportunity.

I updated my MapMyIndia GPS so that it was up to date with the bangalore roads. I did a search of 'Sai Arcade' in the 'points of interest'- and it came up easily.

Getting your documents ready
Download the passport information booklet from the website,and read it carefully. Go through the big table in which different categories are listed with requisite documents- and figure out which one you fall into.

I read somewhere about carrying more identification documents, and hence took everything available- however- it was NOT necessary. Only the documents listed on the guide are sufficient.

All the photocopies of the documents are to be taken. They have to be self attested. Even if both parents passports or Voter IDs are required to be photocopied- only ONE parent needs to attest the copies.

Carry 2 extra photcopies of the documents for your mind's peace.
if you need any notary to sign the documents- there is a notary and a photocopying service available very near to the Sai Arcade PSK- so no issues there.

Carry all the originals in a file, carry your passports, voter ID's, Bank statements, Electricity bills (if you fall into the category that requires these to be submitted), Do not bother taking only your Aadhar Card- I saw one guy getting rejected even though he had it.

It is a good idea to get your spouse's name endorsed on each couple's passport- since that saves a lot of hassles. The same residential address for both parents also helps in quickening the application process.

Do remember to fill 'ANNEXURE H' - you can print it out on a plain paper and carry it - one seperate copy for each child. BOTH parents have to sign this (again this depends on the category you fall into)

For tatkal passport- I was told by the travel agency to carry a 'proof of urgency' - however, no such thing was required, and the website also says it is NOT required.

Covering letter- NO covering letter was required for the passport application for infants- I had specifically asked this on the BHp forum, and was told by one member that it was required- so I had typed it out, but it was not required.

Have the necessary documents copies neatly organized (Make sure you have annexure H signed),and clipped together. The passport officials greatly appreciate it if they don't have to rummage through your umpteen documents.

For My son's fresh passport- I required only the birth certificate, passport of both parents (spouses names endorsed) and our voter IDs.

For my Daughters passport (Renewal) - We required her old passport, parent's passports.

DO NOT forget to take a print of the Appointment form. You HAVE to show this at the entry point to be allowed inside.

Photographs and Payment

Photographs on a white background (passport size) should be taken if the child is below 4 years old. I would suggest going to a studio and getting it clicked professionally ( I tried at home- and had a hell of a time getting my 11 month old guy to sit in one place and not scowl).Take a couple of photos (they require only one). If the child is above 4 years and co-operative- no need to carry photo- they will take a pic at the PSK itself.

All payments for the passports to be done in CASH at the PSK- no cheques or demand drafts.

At the PSK

Arrive early to avoid last minute panic. I left Mysore in my fiesta at 7 in the morning, and reached sai Arcade at 11 AM (reporting time was 12:15 PM - 15 minutes before the appointment time).

Mother's CAN carry the infants feeding bottles and feeds inside a bag ( We didn't need to put anything inside a transparent cover). The sai Arcade venue is Air conditioned- which helps a great deal in keeping the little ones less cranky.

Contrary to what I read- Me, wife and 2 kids were let in by the security after showing our appointment printout. It was getting a but crowded at the PSK gates, but the process of 'time slotting' is actually good.

Be careful to spot the section which says 'Tatkal' and head for it if you are applying via tatkal, otherwise go to the 'general' queue. The tatkal queue was one fifth the size of the general one in our case.

Submit your documents - originals and photocopies- and clearly specify. I told the staff "fresh passport for infant, both parents names endorsed in spouse column" and without any further problems- the docs were verified, ad a token number issued- all in 2 minutes!. they will ask you if the child is present AND if you have carried passport size photos (in case of infants). If everything is ok- you will be asked to go straight to the office entry point. Here a guard takes a gander at your token number, and will wave you through. One parent has to pass through the control gate, while the other parent and kids can pass through a side door.

as soon as you enter- you can see a waiting area with chairs (not crowded- probably because of the noon timing), and a huge screen with token numbers and designated counters flashing. Check and match your token number to the counter, and proceed directly to the correct cubicle (cubicle numbers hang right above the areas).

The counters

There are 3 categories 'A', 'B' and 'C'. You will have to go to each of them in sequence. The functions of these counters are specified in the other passports thread.

At 'A' counter - documents will be checked and scanned, photos will be taken, payments in cash have to be made. A file will be issued to you, and a payment receipt as well. You then have to go to 'B' counter section. Here again there is a screen with token numbers and cubicles on display- proceed to the correct one. We took 8 minutes at 'A'

At 'B' counter- Originals will be verified by the officer, and these guys are really busy- so have the requisite documents on hand for faster service It is also in this section that maximum 'rejections' take place. After this is done go to Counter 'C' (see the display screen again). The file will be given back to you after verification.We took 5 minutes at 'B'

At 'C' counter- the granting officer sits- they take your file, check the originals once again, and will grant the passport on record- there the officer will specify the validity of the passport as well. Here they keep the file with them. So at the end of this stage you will have your token sheet and the payment receipt. Be sure to check if you have them- because only with that you can Exit and get an application receipt/ reference number. we took 2 minutes at 'C'

At the exit, you have to give the token form and payment slip to the person at the counter, ans you will be given a application receipt print with 'granted/not granted' status and reference number.The payment receipt will be returned to you. Keep these safe. You will also be asked to fill a 'feedback' form and hand it back.

So all together- 15 minutes for a child's application- not bad at all!

I had to cancel my kid's appointment twice, because they fell sick, and luckily I was able to get an appointment for each time I tried. The appointment slots are available in a very narrow time band (5-8 minutes) so make sure you are logged on and ready. It really helps with a broadband connection with a decent speed.

My daughter's application took a bit longer (28 minutes) on the next day, but even that is acceptable.

All is well that ends well.

So My tips for parents are-

1)Apply on time, using a fast internet connection
2)Enter 'captcha' codes correctly- have the CAPS lock ON.
3)Check the dates on the left hand side carefully before clicking on the time slot.
4)Reach ahead of time- add one hour for traffic congestion in cities.
5)If in doubt over the location, scour the net for directions using google, or use a GPS- it really helps.
6)Take photos (passport size with white background and dark clothes) of your infant or child below 4 years- carry sufficient copies (just in case)
7)Take water/ infant feeds as required.
8)Have all documents in correct order and clipped together.
9)Have Annexure H ready- one for each application.
10)Carry all documents in original.
11)Good idea to get your spouse's name endorsed in both your passports (no need for police verification then), and with same address.
12) Be poilte to the officers and thank them once you are done.
13) Make sure you have the application receipt and payment receipt.
14) Remember to self- attest (one parent) all photocopies.
15) Remember to carry sufficient cash for payment at the PSK.
16) Do not rely solely on travel agents- do try yourself.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2012 at 14:19. Reason: Adding Related Threads to your post. Thanks for sharing!
ascertain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 12:39   #2
BHPian

re: Applying for an Infant / Minor's Passport - Details *here*

Very helpfull for someone like me who will be applying for an infant passport soon.

Do check and correct the following paragraph , the part underlined,

At 'C' counter- the granting officer sits- they take your file, check the originals once again, and will grant the visa- there the officer will specify the validity of the passport as well. Here they keep the file with them. So at the end of this stage you will have your token sheet and the payment receipt. Be sure to check if you have them- because only with that you can Exit and get an application receipt/ reference number. we took 2 minutes at 'C'
Old 7th December 2012, 12:51   #3
BHPian

re: Applying for an Infant / Minor's Passport - Details *here*

Thank you mitrajdeep - I have corrected the error.

As an update- I have received my kid's passports (in 3 Days) today.

Do remember that all minors are Non-ECR's.
I also forgot to add that- during the online application process at Bangalore PSK- be advised that it does not give out 'tatkal' slots. Even if you want to apply for tatkal- you have to specify 'tatkal' in the application form, but select 'normal' on the website during application for obvious reasons.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Re: Applying for an Infant / Minor's Passport - Details *here*

Thanks ascertain for the valuable information

I have a question here. I would like to know what is the process if a Minor’s Passport expired and still has a valid VISA in that? Can we get a passport renewed with the same passport number or do we need to apply for a new passport.

Since the minor’s passport is issuing only for 5 years and they have a face change upon renewal, will the authorities still give the same passport number in case the passport holds a Valid VISA??
Any comments?
Old 10th December 2012, 17:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post

I have a question here. I would like to know what is the process if a Minor’s Passport expired and still has a valid VISA in that? Can we get a passport renewed with the same passport number or do we need to apply for a new passport.

Since the minor’s passport is issuing only for 5 years and they have a face change upon renewal, will the authorities still give the same passport number in case the passport holds a Valid VISA??
Any comments?
I have the same case. You will get new passport with different number but need to carry old passport along with you. Even the VISA is expired it is suggested to carry old passport with you. You can put rubber band between last page hard cover of new passport and hard cover of first page of old passport.This will help you to keep both passport intact

Last edited by aka_iitd : 10th December 2012 at 17:45.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I have the same case. You will get new passport with different number but need to carry old passport along with you. Even the VISA is expired it is suggested to carry old passport with you. You can put rubber band between last page hard cover of new passport and hard cover of first page of old passport.This will help you to keep both passport intact
Thanks aka_iitd. You can still travel with the old passort carries the VISA even though it expired?

Will they cancel the old passport? Do we need to submit the old passport of child while applying for a new one for them?

Last edited by BinFord : 10th December 2012 at 18:14. Reason: new
Old 10th December 2012, 18:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks aka_iitd. You can still travel with the old passort carries the VISA even though it expired?

Will they cancel the old passport? Do we need to submit the old passport of child while applying for a new one for them?
Some points
1. You need to carry old passport always (suggested) while travelling. In your case you have a VISA so it is must and you can travel with VISA in old passport with cancelled seal but having new passport which mentions old passport number at the back side of the cover. If you have a doubt check US consulate by writing email.
2. They will put red seal cancelled along with date while you apply for new passport. For PSK(Bangalore) they do at counter C. Now you cannot use old passport and cannot travel till new passport is issued . It is for short duration may be 15 to 20 days for normal passport application.
3. PSK will return your old passport after putting cancelled seal.
Hope this clarifies your doubt

Last edited by aka_iitd : 10th December 2012 at 18:22.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Some points
1. You need to carry old passport always (suggested) while travelling. In your case you have a VISA so it is must and you can travel with VISA in old passport with cancelled seal but having new passport which mentions old passport number at the back side of the cover. If you have a doubt check US consulate by writing email.
2. They will put red seal cancelled along with date while you apply for new passport. For PSK(Bangalore) they do at counter C. Now you cannot use old passport and cannot travel till new passport is issued . It is for short duration may be 15 to 20 days for normal passport application.
3. PSK will return your old passport after putting cancelled seal.
Hope this clarifies your doubt
Thanks a lot aka_iitd for clarifying my doubt.

Thanks again.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:43   #9
BHPian

("i understand that many of us will be traveling abroad sometime or the other, and a few of us will have to go through this process for children who are infants as well.

Moderators can take a call on whether to merge this thread or leave it as an independent thread. I would personally request it to be left independent- since it will be an easy reference for parents who would otherwise have to plow through the huge volume of data on the 'passports' thread.")

Hey ascertain,This is really helpful.Though I'm living in Coimbatore, I think the formalities will be pretty much same every where. About Internet speed: is 3G ok? I use reliance 3G data card.dde12
Old 11th December 2012, 17:18   #10
BHPian

@ Binford- I faced a similar problem with my NZ RRV- which was vaild eventhough my passport expired- what I did was- contacted the High Commision in New delhi- requested for a new visa label (Client number remains the same- only the visa label number changes), send your old and new passport to the office in New delhi- there , they paste a new visa label onto your new passport, and cancel your old one, thus you avoid the headache of carrying 2 passports.

@BhunuAMG - i think 3g should be good enough - its the vast numbers who are stuck with dialup and 1 MBps broadband who are going to have problems. but remember the timing (5-8 minutes is all you get)
Old 11th December 2012, 17:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Any comments?

The re-issue of passport NEVER happens with an old number as far as I know. You will get a new passport number for your child on renewal-its then upto you to get the visas transferred by the high commission/immigration of the respective country. Its not a complex procedure- of course there is a small fee- but keeping things simple instead of carrying 2 different passports help speed things up at the airport during your departure.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
The re-issue of passport NEVER happens with an old number as far as I know. You will get a new passport number for your child on renewal-its then upto you to get the visas transferred by the high commission/immigration of the respective country. Its not a complex procedure- of course there is a small fee- but keeping things simple instead of carrying 2 different passports help speed things up at the airport during your departure.
Hi ascertain

Thanks for the info. I was actually checking for counties like Australia where there is a new rule which doesn't require a VISA LABEL. Airlines can check the VISA details which is linked to your passport number.

Any ides on that if the passport expired and VISA still linked to old passport number.
Old 12th December 2012, 09:50   #13
BHPian

I am applying for a fresh passport to my infant. I had a question.
I am staying at a new place since last 6 months and have address proof for the same.
Is it mandatory for infants also to produce two address proofs showing a time difference of 1 year? (given that my daughter herself is not 1 year old yet)

Pls help!
Old 12th December 2012, 21:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I am applying for a fresh passport to my infant. I had a question.
I am staying at a new place since last 6 months and have address proof for the same.
Is it mandatory for infants also to produce two address proofs showing a time difference of 1 year? (given that my daughter herself is not 1 year old yet)

Pls help!

Dear pavan, no- as mentioned in my earlier post- it's only the parents duration of stay that matters.If you have stayed in 1 area for 6 months (if that was the most recent) enter that into the form (from-and to date)- this will be 'Address 2' for you. In the 'Address 1' section, enter your previous residence details (total how many years you stayed there) , the time period for these two should be more than 1 year. Your kid being less than 1 year won't be a problem. In order to validate the form- you need to make sure that the 'period of residence' is more than one year in total- it is with reference to the parents, and not to the baby.

For address proof- remember to carry gas connection/electricity/telephone bill.

Also- do you have your spouse's name endorsed in your passport?

Hope you succeed without any hassles.
Old 1st January 2013, 15:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
Dear pavan, no- as mentioned in my earlier post- it's only the parents duration of stay that matters.If you have stayed in 1 area for 6 months (if that was the most recent) enter that into the form (from-and to date)- this will be 'Address 2' for you. In the 'Address 1' section, enter your previous residence details (total how many years you stayed there) , the time period for these two should be more than 1 year. Your kid being less than 1 year won't be a problem. In order to validate the form- you need to make sure that the 'period of residence' is more than one year in total- it is with reference to the parents, and not to the baby.

For address proof- remember to carry gas connection/electricity/telephone bill.

Also- do you have your spouse's name endorsed in your passport?

Hope you succeed without any hassles.
I have taken appointment of 8th Jan for my 3.5 yrs old son's fresh passport application.
is it must to have spouse's name endorsed in my passport? it's not there yet in my case.
as my current address proof (i am here since 1st april 2012), i'll be carrying my income tax return acknowledgement received from Income tax office. it was there in valid documents list on passport website.

Most Viewed