Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2012, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Electricity savers

Heard about "Intelligent savers" ? This saves electricity and reduces the bill to 30% as claimed by the representative. Today met a representative from Ease Tecno Solutions Pvt Ltd;. He told me, ES Electronics (India) Pvt. Ltd; manufactures this device which reduce the power consumption and thus bill gets reduced in region of 25% to 30%.

Link : http://www.energysaversindia.com/dom...pplication.htm

Is this for real or Hoax?

Last edited by Vasuki : 9th December 2012 at 14:45.
Old 9th December 2012, 16:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electricity savers

Absolute hoax. If such things really worked then they would have been found in all homes and would be very popular.
Old 9th December 2012, 20:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I second that. I dont know how one can save power by just plugging it into a socket. Its like plugging something into the ciggie lighter in your car to increase performance or mileage. It says it will improve the power factor. That depends upon the overall load that is connected in the house. Whether it is inductive, or capacitive needs to be determined and then they must be balanced, to get a purely resistive network. Not possible by a plug in device for sure!
Old 9th December 2012, 23:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The company has a full fledged website and also lists the certifications by many clients, including the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) , Chennai, dated 21/01/2002.
The Tata Energy Research Institute,Bangalore certificate is dated 4/3/1998.
Though the recommendations cannot be taken lightly, if true, the surprising point is how the product is being made since 1998 and no one has publicized or told anything about it in any media?

A link to their certifications:

http://www.energysaversindia.com/cer...ions_index.htm

I mean the average electricity user is not aware of such a product (good or bad?) that is being made since 1998 ?
Had it been so good,the government would have most likely promoted it with tax sops, as energy is so precious both for the government and the end user.
So must take it all with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th December 2012 at 23:09.
Old 9th December 2012, 23:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Tata Energy Research Institute,Bangalore certificate is dated 4/3/1998.
Read the entire TERI certificate, and pay attention to the grammar and what the supposed certificate are trying to advise. Apparently TERI inspected the companies own plant and asked them to use to use a voltage booster which they themselves manufacture??

Seem HIGHLY doubtful to me. Possible SCAM.
Old 9th December 2012, 23:38   #6
BANNED

Quote:
The company has a full fledged website
My 2 year old nephew also has a full fledged website.
Quote:
and also lists the certifications by many clients, including the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) , Chennai, dated 21/01/2002.
Most of those certificates don't certify that it does what they say it does. These are just random certificates
- Their manufacturing plant meets some standards
- They meet Hazardous Materials standards
- They meet some safety standards

etc.

Most of these certificates are irrelevant to the power saving claim.

Last edited by carboy : 9th December 2012 at 23:40.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:23   #7
BANNED

These were very popular in the 70's. Basically they are thyristor based units which make the induction motors run at a small phase angle so as to maintain the power factor at 90% plus. An induction motor when running (esp at a high voltage) will still run at the same speed, and the phase angle will go up. The higher current will produce more heating in the windings. By modulating the phase angle this is the heating energy consumption they claim to reduce.

I have not seen anything about these devices for well over two decades, so I guess they got binned. Now they seem to have come to India.
Old 10th December 2012, 11:24   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
These were very popular in the 70's. Basically they are thyristor based units which make the induction motors run at a small phase angle so as to maintain the power factor at 90% plus. An induction motor when running (esp at a high voltage) will still run at the same speed, and the phase angle will go up. The higher current will produce more heating in the windings. By modulating the phase angle this is the heating energy consumption they claim to reduce.
Forgotten whatever little electricity related stuff I ever knew, so can't make much sense of this. However, if this works - why don't all induction motors do this themselves?
Old 10th December 2012, 11:30   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Forgotten whatever little electricity related stuff I ever knew, so can't make much sense of this. However, if this works - why don't all induction motors do this themselves?
Easy. Heating is I^2 or V^2/r. so as V (or I go up) so does heating. Thyristors (and Triacs) are notoriously unreliable. Hence they never took off. Maybe with GTO devices they may have a new life. Modern domestic stuff like ACs, Dishwashers, Washing Machines, and Refrigerators have moved on to Inverter Technology so these may not be needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks