Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 17:35   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Hope no woman has to suffer this trauma ever.
Hello Sugeeta,

Greetings. Appreciate the points mentioned by you.

But unless the person (Men) on street starts respecting Women, things will not change.

I have got a chance to travel to couple of countries (China, Singapore, Germany) & nowhere I have seen person on street passing lewed comments at females just for sake of enjoyment. Infact in most of developed countries I have seen women walking with pride & confidence, because in the back of her mind she feels safe.

Which is not the case here. As am father of a very young daughter, I appreciate you advocating safe hours for women. But till the time, we are keeping our daughters & females in safety, there will always be vultures outside waiting to prey on them.

I have no direct answers, but I feel we Indian (Men) are biggest hypocrites. We want our near & dear ones to be safe at home & we are ready to molest a female on street.

I stay in Mumbai & my blood literally boils when I see bunch of jokers passing stupid comments at girls in Local Trains & Buses, but there is nothing I can do because there are a whole bunch of these people out there.

I feel unless women are fully empowered in India (like those in developed countries) this attitude is not going to change.

Thanks,
Old 21st December 2012, 17:49   #137

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

We need the following
1. Change the law
2. More important is implement the law.
3. Our Police force should be more proactive instead of passive/ reactive.
4. Government to distribute a revolutionary female condom called Rap_Axe that the lady wears and well ...... entry is checked .... u get the drift. This is a strong deterent
5. Change the mindset of people in the North towards being more respectful towards women.
6. Strong law against female genocide.
7. Remove police from VIP security.
8. Track black money given as bribes to police stations and personnel.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:55   #138
BHPian

Quote:
The woman is held responsible for instigating any sexual crime against her, even by her own kith and kin
Unbelievably there is a law in Indian Law book which says the if the women is of a loose character, then it is not considered rape! These kind of loop holes in the system are exploited by culprits.

Quote:
Thank God, this case has invited media attention, so some good provisions and laws may come into force.
Media attention moves from one issue to another. We need better laws and their swifter implementation for these cases. This horrific incident has brought us to this issue but we know that these kind of things happen all the time.

Quote:
If nothing moves, women are prepared to take some initiative and deliver justice their own way.
Now this is the right way to go. Women should not wait for our system to help, women should take action, we should take action.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

Why we discuss only rape happens in big metro cities? Why not small towns and villages? There are numerous such cases go unnoticed due to social pressure or family pressure. All of those are serious and heinous crimes. All of them should get attention and above all such heinous act should be eliminated from society.

We are not in the medieval age but still those criminals are. Above all there is no strict punishment for such act. I respect Saudi Arabia/Middle East countries, where they give capital punishment for all such crimes. If culprit get caught hang them within 15 days and do it for last 15-20 such crimes and it will be stopped 99.99%. All this attention will slowly loose and I am sure nobody going to remember or discuss it after 2 years. This is such sad state of affair.

Swift and hard punishment for all kind of crimes is the key and deterrent.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:19   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Strong laws and proper enforcement is the answer.

Proper de-politicization of the bureaucracy, police forces and law and order machinery.
Ha Ha Ha
I have a better answer. Making the entire world good. Filling the world with goodness and making everyone a good human being. All these words are empty unless there is a known plan which can make this happen.
Quote:
Decent index linked pay packages for public servants in essential services like the Police service etc. In asking for this, all that we are asking for is that our tax money gets utilized properly!
See above

Quote:
If we end up having to go about arming normal citizens for them to look after themselves then we are admitting that our law and order situation is pathetic and regressing to vigilante law. How sure can we be in this case of vigilante law, that there wont be further chaos? In this case, how different are we from an "anarchy"?
Whats wrong with admitting the truth. We already are in an anarchy. See what rule of law is followed once you leave the shiny poster boy localities and pockets of the country. Its already anarchy out there, and common man lives in fear.

Quote:
This country is at best a loose agglomeration of different ethnicities, divided by language and with no respect to traditional cross border intermingling.
Now how did issue of cross border intermingling come here
Quote:
We are a Nation mostly in name because of the significant amount of parochialism and communal rubbish that we see around us. We are getting more and more insular by the day and there may come a time when various states will think it cool to "have a go" at each other - in fact it has already almost reached there with this Cauvery issue here in South India.
Again, this is a totally different issue
Quote:
There is a lot right with India and so is there a great deal wrong with us too. As of this moment we badly need a reality check by looking inward and learning to care. The wrongs are far heavier than the rights as of now and we really must do something about it or we shall simply be a "sunk" "dead-beat" Asian Elephant or Tiger or whatever we style ourselves as these days...
When there is so much wrong and injustice, then its time for something radical, thats what I suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

Another scenario comes to mind. Imagine a woman armed with a gun shoots an attacker and he dies. Can you imagine the guilt the woman would go through for the rest of her life? Tanveer trust me, taking a person's life irrespective of whether he is a good person or a bad person is not as easy as squeezing the trigger. It also takes a lot of courage and comes with a lot of pre-packaged guilt.
Thats where training comes into play. Non lethal weapons. Sure. How about easy access to tasers etc., for women? Will govt make such a law?
Old 21st December 2012, 18:58   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thats where training comes into play. Non lethal weapons. Sure. How about easy access to tasers etc., for women? Will govt make such a law?
Tasers should be made available to women for self defence. As of now I think tasers can only be used by the police in India. This I think is a really stupid law and this needs to change.

Pepper spray is another option. Pepper spray is really effective, especially the OC variety.

Some links for self defence items

http://cobraspray.com/default.htm
http://www.stunguninindia.in/

Edit: Tanveer you should mentioned something about anarchy and I'm sure you agree that you can not fight anarchy with anarchy. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited by vikram_d : 21st December 2012 at 19:25. Reason: Spell check and note added.
Old 21st December 2012, 19:03   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And how would you ensure only women can have access to tasers? The criminals would be first ones to get them, if precedence is something to go by.

I think women should seriously think about learning self defense. More than 300 of our elected representatives have cases in their names related to crimes against women. its futile to think they can do something about this appalling situation.

And in this particular crime (and in every other such crime) I wish the perpetrators are similarly made to suffer for the rest of their lives. They should not be killed. Instead their harvestable organs (e.g eyes, kidney etc) should be removed and sold and proceeds given to victim for her rehabilitation (and in case she refuses, it be donated to a suitable charity working for women's betterment). Their bank accounts and their wealth be frozen/confiscated and all money be spent on charity + widely advertising the punishment given so that any future criminals think a million+ times before doing anything like that. And their they should be made to lose their hands so that they cannot indulge in any violent activities in future! Let them die every second of the day till they actually die.
Old 21st December 2012, 23:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

We are not in the medieval age but still those criminals are. Above all there is no strict punishment for such act. I respect Saudi Arabia/Middle East countries, where they give capital punishment for all such crimes. If culprit get caught hang them within 15 days and do it for last 15-20 such crimes and it will be stopped 99.99%. All this attention will slowly loose and I am sure nobody going to remember or discuss it after 2 years. This is such sad state of affair.

Swift and hard punishment for all kind of crimes is the key and deterrent.
I completely agree with you. There should be no mercy... rich or poor, a crime is a crime and should be punished. If the punishment continues for all the reported cases, only then will crime be reduced. If the punishment is just one off, there is a very high tendency that such crimes might get repeated.

But these 6 accused $$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ (fill it yourself) should be tortured for life.
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about easy access to tasers etc., for women? Will govt make such a law?
Why only for women? If you or I or anybody here were to come across a scene where we saw a woman overpowered and being taken advantage of by a bunch of goons, dont you think a taser or a more lethal weapon would come handy for us too to prevent the situation from getting worse?
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:03   #145
BHPian

Just opened NDTV and shocked to see another one!

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/w...ome-topstories

Delhi has truly become the Rape Capital Of India.
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:44   #146
BHPian

I don't know if we have discussed this yet in the thread, but not only was she gangraped, she was violated with that iron rod. And by violated, I will not get into the details, but I think everyone can figure that out.

The way I see it is this; there are 2 Indias: The modern, fast paced India where things are changing almost overnight and the other India, where things are still backward, gender roles are neatly defined, i.e: women are basically the property of men and only serve to be controlled by men for whatever they please and arent given the freedom that they rightly deserve. There is a gender clash taking place and we need to somehow have a national discussion about how to resolve it. Does the PM or Sonia have the guts to go on TV and tell the nation that enough is enough and that violence against women must end??

If the police can't or won't do their job, let the National Guard or Home Guards step in. I will bet you that crime will go down rapidly. Strict and rapid punishment of criminals is the order of the day. Unfortunately I feel like the law and order system in India is beyond repair . How many cases have we had of police themselves raping women and girls!?! In the meantime, I honestly think women need to start arming themselves any way they can. I gave my GF a Swiss Army Knife not only as a gift, but also to protect herself. I tell her everyday to carry it with her. I am back home in the US and I can't be there all the time to look out for her.
Old 22nd December 2012, 07:38   #147
Senior - BHPian

I am always a believer that for such crimes. We need radical solution. Of course, like many mentioned just ranting on news channels that something has to be done is just not enough.

Lot of people think that very strict and tough punishment is going to make a criminal stop him from doing something like this. But thats not true. A drunk idiot who is full with lust and craving for lust will hardly think about legal punishment.

Moreover we have also seen situations where college students are ones who rape. So lets not generalize this as something that is done only by low class people.

Some radical options are:
1. Like someone said relaxing gun laws is one.
2. Legalizing prostitution, is another. This ensure there is avenue for some drunkard in peak of his lust. Of course it has to be regulated and audited to ensure there is no exploitation.
- I am surprised no one brought this topic up.
3. Society to have an open mindset about dating concept.. We have to confess just brushing it under carpet is no longer going to happen.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:09   #148
Team-BHP Support

A permanent solution which I think -

# Drastic step to be taken to curb population. And the Govt. simply is either ignorant or doesn't have the guts to speak strongly on it.

With the current skewed population ration, even if the Govt. wants, it can't provide good education to one & all. There will always be different strata of society & everyone can't afford good schools. Not that men from good schools don't commit crime.

Good education along with better caring from parents (with one or two kid @ home at the max) shall go in a long way to curb these incidents.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:18   #149
BANNED

Was ashamed the PUCL lady arguing against Capital punishment and also Bhadoria of the BSP saying that the caste reservation bill is probably more necessary than Rape Bill. Not surprising since he is from the party who took DP Yadav (his son is of Nitish Katara fame).
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:35   #150
Senior - BHPian

The Delhi gang rape incident is unique since 2 heinous crimes were committed on the same person at the same time, i.e,
1) Rape or Gang rape and
2) Violence inflicted.

People advocating death penalty (for this case & for future incidents), is it for (1) or for both (1) & (2) together?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed