Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:22   #331
BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Hi Guys,

Heard about a recent rape case in Bangalore. Victim was an Accenture employee working from ecospace (Bangalore). Culprits were the driver along with the security guard.
Eco-Space management has decided no lady employee will be working beyond 6PM hence most companies are cancelling their lease.

Is this true? Anyone working from Ecospace or Accenture may know. Also heard this news is not out and has been kept very protected.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:50   #332
BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Hi Guys,

Heard about a recent rape case in Bangalore. Victim was an Accenture employee working from ecospace (Bangalore). Culprits were the driver along with the security guard.
Eco-Space management has decided no lady employee will be working beyond 6PM hence most companies are cancelling their lease.

Is this true? Anyone working from Ecospace or Accenture may know. Also heard this news is not out and has been kept very protected.
Have not heard about it.

Hope its a Hoax. But coming to think of it, the cos insisted on security guards in all cars after the rape incident involving a driver .
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:58   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Have not heard about it.

Hope its a Hoax. But coming to think of it, the cos insisted on security guards in all cars after the rape incident involving a driver .
That was the Pratibha case; she was raped and murdered by her office cab driver. Even years after the incident, the cab drivers take shortcuts by not taking security guards when picking up and dropping woman employees first/last as it inconveniences them. I voiced my concern with the concerned department, but the problem is that most woman employees don't report it to the transport desk or their manager and hence these incidents go unreported and people think everything is hunky-dory.

They're just waiting for another Pratibha to happen to wake up!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 3rd January 2013 at 16:10.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:24   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Have not heard about it.

One of the female employee was not dropped to her door, so I sent a casual email to transport department and only after that I heard about this accenture case and my BOSS said not to take it so easy :-/

Capgemini is moving base to Whitefield, not sure due to the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I worked with HP and have seen the changes after Pratibha's incident. After that, they have one of the most robust plans for transport to females.

Last edited by Googleman : 3rd January 2013 at 16:26.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:41   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

I worked with HP and have seen the changes after Pratibha's incident. After that, they have one of the most robust plans for transport to females.
While I wait to sent off my daughter in her school bus, i see a lot of tempos/buses plying IT professionals early in the morning. A vast majority of them have dark sun films or curtains. Some have both. Going by the Delhi incident, and the fact that the crime was totally undetected due to the dark films in the bus, Im surprised that the corporates/employees are taking this lightly.

In another significant judgement , Trivandrum sessions court awarded death penalty to the accused in arya rape case. The verdict came within 10 months of the incident.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/story.php?id=131821

======
I sincerely hope this is the first case that goes on a fast track mode, with appeals and mercy petitions decided upon immediately, and he gets to hang and strangulates to death, just like how he killed her.

Last edited by mannubhai : 3rd January 2013 at 16:56.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:40   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a load of bollocks my man!

My wife worked in the APJ time zone and used to be picked up early in the morning. I used to walk her till the gate and see her off. One day the can driver comes without the guard (my wife was the first pickup). When asked the driver says he has to go all the way to the office to pickup the guard and them come pickup the employee, which is an inconvenience for him! I told him to buzz off and reported the matter to the transport Helpdesk and the concerned manager. This was six years ago. I've seen similar incidents couple of years later when I had women employees in the 24x7 team that I was leading. Even then I had to take stern steps to ensure safety of my team members.

Even today when my wife is delayed due to work and takes a company cab home, she has to sometimes fight with the cab drivers to make sure the guard is accompanying the cab (if she's the last drop). This is the same HP you're talking about.

After the Pratibha case, everyone followed the rules dictated to them by the police, but eventually they again began cutting corners - neither the company is bothered not the police.

PS: do refer to them as women and not females; I feel it's inappropriate.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:57   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even today when my wife is delayed due to work and takes a company cab home, she has to sometimes fight with the cab drivers to make sure the guard is accompanying the cab (if she's the last drop). This is the same HP you're talking about.
While I agree that a guard should be there, in some cases would that not increase the risk if the guard is also of the same bent of mind as the driver?
In such a situation, what would be the solution?

The problem will only worsen as more and more companies flee to outer areas in search of less rental costs. I dont know how long this model will be sustainable in terms of costs.

Quote:
remember, your cab contractor and guard agency are there, cos they gave the lowest quote. No other reason .
yes, and probably also gave the admin guys a little something.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd January 2013 at 18:11.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:07   #338
BHPian

Quote:

After the Pratibha case, everyone followed the rules dictated to them by the police, but eventually they again began cutting corners - neither the company is bothered not the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While I agree that a guard should be there, in some cases would that not increase the risk if the guard is also of the same bent of mind as the driver?
What is the authenticity check conducted on these drivers/guards ? Im not sure authorities can do any kind of reference/risk check on these guys before appointing them.

remember, your cab contractor and guard agency are there, cos they gave the lowest quote. No other reason .
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:15   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

True, but what does this mean - men cannot be trusted? It has come to that. We, the men, are looked upon suspiciously and not trusted even if our intentions are honourable. Due to the crimes of few, the whole gender has been shamed.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:38   #340
BHPian

Quote:

My wife worked in the APJ time zone and used to be picked up early in the morning. I used to walk her till the gate and see her off. One day the can driver comes without the guard (my wife was the first pickup).
Sounds load sqaure to me as I know the transport dept. out there never gives contact info to the driver. Each drop/pick-up is well co-ordinated in a conference call from the admin dept.

A driver can not just walk-in to pick up someone out of their will. They first have to go to the transport dept. Take the route list, if route list has "Women" the cab does not get to move out of the campus without a security guard. There are several checks to ensure uniformity.

2013 is not = 6 years ago.
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:32   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds load sqaure to me as I know the transport dept. out there never gives contact info to the driver. Each drop/pick-up is well co-ordinated in a conference call from the admin dept.

A driver can not just walk-in to pick up someone out of their will. They first have to go to the transport dept. Take the route list, if route list has "Women" the cab does not get to move out of the campus without a security guard. There are several checks to ensure uniformity.

2013 is not = 6 years ago.
Well I'm not gonna waste my breath on this, but your benefit I'll tell you a secret - cab policy is different for different entities - GBS, HPGS et al and also differs by site.

Anyways, believe what you will. I'm out (this is going off topic anyways).
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:46   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I read somewhere that the wrist test results (I don't know what is this) show this beast's age as 17.5 years. Adding to this vague law is the govt, which is playing communal card.
This juvenile $$$$$$$ will be released after 3 years of imprisonment. He should not enjoy this. He is not fit to live. If he is not given the capital punishment and is set free after 3 years, I feel that he should be killed. He is a major threat to the neighborhood. I pray that he also gets death penalty.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:20   #343
Senior - BHPian

Not fair that the Juvenile gets off scot-free.
Maybe it is only fair that people are going about trying to blow up the houses of the accused.
If that Juvenile walks out free then one more blot on the Judiciary of India.
I have no hopes from it anyways.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:42   #344
BHPian

Quote:

This is so not right. Juvenile or not, he committed those heinous crimes against that girl!! What are they gonna come up with next - insanity plea?

Skin them alive and let them rot; let them see maggots on their rotting bodies and die slow painful deaths!
For a minute I thought I was in the horror movies thread. Do you know a few weeks back president pardoned a convicted rapist and cold blooded murderer of a 6 year old girl? Why such a hate for an undertrial? What happened to our principle of "Innocent until proven guilty".

Also, according to our law, this is not a rarest of rare case. There are far too many mitigating circumstances.

Should we hang the alleged rapists just because this rape is in news, while far worse incidents unreported elsewhere? A very bad, unfortunate and tragic incident happened. And the biggest tragedy is it repeats every few hours somewhere in India. Names of victim, perpetrators and places change. And incidents die a silent death, in memories and in files.

I understand we (and Arnab Goswami) is outraged. But that is not the reason for demanding a kangaroo justice.It is good that we are outraged, but don't use this outrage to punish these people. Use the outrage to get better laws, corruption free and safe society. Use the outrage for a change in thinking of the society.

Half baked ideas, and overzealous public and lawmakers leads to laws like IPC 498a.

Last edited by carbookie : 4th January 2013 at 02:05.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:40   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
This juvenile $$$$$$$ will be released after 3 years of imprisonment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Not fair that the Juvenile gets off scot-free.
By the time this gets to court, he won't be juvenile anymore. So he can be treated as adult.

I only hope there won't be another knee-jerk law like the dowry law. The real problem with our justice system is not the law, but the enforcers and lawyers. If you put too much teeth into the law, it merely becomes an instrument of blackmail.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks