Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 19:32   #781
BHPian

Re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Thanks for the update, setuniket ! Hope we reach closure on this case, within a decent timeframe.
Welcome, I was unable to attend the hearings due to other matters in High Court, hoping to atleast attend pronouncement. Unfortunately this matter will not close very soon. Any decision by the High Court will be challenged in Supreme Court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Till the sentence is actually announced in court, it cannot be said that they have been sentenced to death. Mods may please change the headline as it is misleading.
Sentence was announced.

Last edited by setuniket : 19th February 2014 at 19:35.
Old 13th March 2014, 15:47   #782
BHPian

Re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEA

Nirbhaya case: Delhi HC upholds death penalty awarded to 4 convicts

Quote:
Delhi HC on Thursday upheld death penalty awarded to four convicts in the December 16, 2012 gang rape and murder case of a 23-year-old paramedic.

A division bench of justice Reva Khetrapal and justice Pratibha Rani pronounced the verdict in the afternoon.

The trial court on September 13, 2013 awarded the death sentence to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20).

The court referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.

The charge sheet was filed on January 3 last year.
Source
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...edium=referral
Old 21st March 2014, 12:29   #783
BHPian

Ought to read this: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-25344403. This article describes the feelings of a father post 12 months
Old 7th March 2015, 00:45   #784
BHPian

Re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Just watched India's Daughter on You Tube. The BBC documentary has a strong emotion to it.
The guys who went through the interviews with the accused deserve respect for not slapping them right there.

There are so many things that are wrong

The accused shows no sign of remorse or wrong doing. Its just sad.
The juvenile walks free December 2015
Even if the 4 are ever hanged, the 2 lawyers roaming free scare me.
The rage in the people and the media which brought about a feeling that things will change back in 2012-13 has disappeared. The uber rape case had more media coverage on how Uber was not complying with the radio taxi rules than the rape itself.

The Indian govt banning it was probably a good idea because hopefully more people will watch it now owing to the media coverage on the ban. The documentary however is made like a film and parts of it look unreal and forced. But thats not important here.

Overall Good job Leslee Udwin!
Old 7th March 2015, 11:58   #785
BHPian

Re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

It was banned because the film hurts the feelings of the rapists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Even if the 4 are ever hanged, the 2 lawyers roaming free scare me.
Sarcasm apart, when these criminals are probably isolated elements, the lawyers are speaking for probably a majority of our society. If you're scared of these 2 roaming around you, remember there are 73 more, for every 100 gentlemen exactly like that in your neighbourhood. Be afraid of that more.
Old 8th March 2015, 23:20   #786
BHPian

What are you going to do

What are you doing right now?

Either the mods will ban me forever from Team-BHP or they will let this discussion happen.

But this is what happened…..

I read about the Documentary about Nirbhaya. Being a man, I was curious to find out what was in that documentary that I already did not know.
So I watched it.
And boy was I feeling ashamed!

There are 2 ways in which you will go about this post.

Way 1

You did the lawful thing and NOT watch the documentary. You know about the incident and everything that the media has fed you.
You condemn the incident but do nothing after knowing what took place.

Way 2

You saw the documentary and something stirred within you (I hope). And you decided to make a change to the Indian society.

As I mentioned earlier, I saw the documentary.
Nothing new in it to be honest with all of you. Indian media had it covered pretty well I will say.
What I did not know that the people involved had no remorse. They blame the Indian society and our culture for what took place.

It was like watching Ramayan all over again. Sitaji had to prove her innocence after going through the ordeal she went through. Just that here, every girl has to prove her innocence.

Welcome to India!!

And what stuck me was one of the statements in the documentary:
THESE PEOPLE ARE NORMAL CITIZENS WITH ISSUES.
These people can be anyone. Your drivers. Your grocery men. Your cobblers. Your vegetable retailers.

Finished the documentary and what came to my mind next was, what was I doing to change this.

And so I did what every normal Indian should do (in my opinion), made an online contribution to one of the welfare agencies since I believe education is what will solve these issues.
Also, I swore.
I swore that whenever I see an incident of eve teasing on Indian Roads, I will not look away. I will try and capture it with my phone camera and bring it to Police’s notice(apart from the mandatory intervention).
I also swore that I will try my level best to diffuse any situation that endangers a woman’s well-being, even if it is at the cost of my life and bring the culprits to their knees in front our law.

I swore that I will fight with anyone who tries to dishonour my fellow Indian woman with my life.

Be it my mother, my sister or anyone I know or don’t know without thinking about the social class she belongs to.

I am game for a change. India needs a change in its thinking. Where a woman is not projected as an object decorated at home, but as an individual who has the same rights as I do.

And this change idea has not come from any political party’s win.
It has come from viewing what my country has become after repeatedly seeing what was always in front on me.
Always ignored what was reported in the newspaper and TV broadcast. Always thought it would never happen to me or anyone I know.

And here I am. Aware that this can happen to anyone.

I have decided to make a change. Have you?
As people who are well to do, (we at least have internet access) it is our responsibility to correct every wrong we see.

I am going to do that starting now. How about you?

What are you going to do?
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:31   #787
BHPian

Re: What are you going to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
THESE PEOPLE ARE NORMAL CITIZENS WITH ISSUES.
These people can be anyone. Your drivers. Your grocery men. Your cobblers. Your vegetable retailers.
What are you going to do?
See, that's the trap half-baked documentaries such as these tend to lead the comfortable middle-class man into. It gives them an easy target to put the blame on.

Rape by known people (domestic rapes, etc.) is just as bad (if not worse) compared to rape by an unknown grocery man or a cobbler.
Old 9th March 2015, 12:43   #788
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are you going to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
See, that's the trap half-baked documentaries such as these tend to lead the comfortable middle-class man into. It gives them an easy target to put the blame on.
It definitely puts a blame on something but not on these 'easy targets'. it puts a blame on our upbringing and our mindset. Rapists having no remorse is still understandable but comments by their defense lawyers are far below civil standards that truly reflects the typical Indian male mentality and that's what scares me.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:54   #789
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide, 4 others hanged!

Just one question.

The accused are under death sentence and have appealed against it. The matter is sub-judice.

Will this documentary not lead to "trial by media" and vitiate that process? Now the judiciary and even the President will have no other go but to uphold the sentence.

And while they are at it, I would like the BBC do another documentary on Jihadi John and give him a platform to describe why he did what he did, in graphic detail. I promise to watch it with avid interest, a plateful of snacks in hand!

And from what I gather on the internet, India is not the rape capital of the world; Sweden is. The number of cases in India, even adjusting for under reporting, are far far less than the USA and the UK.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:19   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Will this documentary not lead to "trial by media" and vitiate that process? Now the judiciary and even the President will have no other go but to uphold the sentence.
I would term it as push by media. Why can't the judiciary complete the process of giving justice when there is no doubt in this case of rape and brutal murder? What are they waiting for, their natural death?

Quote:
And while they are at it, I would like the BBC do another documentary on Jihadi John and give him a platform to describe why he did what he did, in graphic detail. I promise to watch it with avid interest, a plateful of snacks in hand!
That is not a bad idea. May be someone is working on it right now.

Quote:
And from what I gather on the internet, India is not the rape capital of the world; Sweden is. The number of cases in India, even adjusting for under reporting, are far far less than the USA and the UK.
Should we be proud of the fact that we are not leaders in this field? Do we want to make India a rape capital?
Moreover, such facts should also be accompanied by the fact sheets showing conviction in the rape cases. How many in US/UK are convicted for reported rape cases and in how much time? What is the time taken to provide justice (if at all it is given) in our country?
Old 9th March 2015, 14:23   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay- Maybe you're right.

BUT- What is the root cause of such damned incidents- and what can be done to curb them?

Is it merely education? The answer, is far more complicated than that- IMHO.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:58   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Should we be proud of the fact that we are not leaders in this field? Do we want to make India a rape capital?
Definitely not. But at the same time, should we not take umbrage when when we are made to appear like that in the world media? Especially by vested interests from countries who are leaders in the field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Okay- Maybe you're right.

BUT- What is the root cause of such damned incidents- and what can be done to curb them?

Is it merely education? The answer, is far more complicated than that- IMHO.
Have the "holier than thou" foreign critics rooted it out in their land? If not, why come here and paint the picture as if this is the only place on earth where it happens?

There are no two opinions about the crime that has taken place. But I get irritated when a false opinion is created as if that is the only thing happening day in and day out here, and nothing else.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:14   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not. But at the same time, should we not take umbrage when when we are made to appear like that in the world media? Especially by vested interests from countries who are leaders in the field?
We can take offence if our house is in order. Our leaders and other idiots who keep blaming skirts, jeans and modern mindset for rapes are the people who play larger role presenting our tarnished image to the world.

We can clean our image by changing mindsets and not by behaving like autocrats and banning films. Of course, the documentary could be banned on other account like naming the victim and interfering in a sub-judice case but not on the fact that it does not present a rosy picture of Indians.

We need to accept the fact that India is not safe for women and we need to do take positive steps towards improving it.

Whatever vested interests they have, the films still speaks the truth and give us another push to introspect.

Another point to note is that other countries issued advisories (for women travelling to India alone) way before this documentary was made.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:25   #794
Senior - BHPian

^^ India alone is not unsafe for women. But it is made out as if it is the only place. That is wrong.

Various people will hold various opinions. But opinions are aired selectively. And some people are more British than the British in lauding the BBC! That is also wrong.

It will take many years for mindsets, and culturally rooted bias, to change. It can't be brought overnight. And till that happens, it doesn't hurt for women to be circumspect at certain times, in certain places. That is all I am saying. We will not walk alone and flash our wallets in mugging prone areas in America, will we?
Old 9th March 2015, 15:44   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will take many years for mindsets, and culturally rooted bias, to change. It can't be brought overnight.
I am not concerned about rest of the world, nor I want to compare India with other countries.

My main concern is the deteriorating mindsets. The situation in Delhi was not as bad in 1996 as it is now. We are becoming more inhuman and intolerant by each passing day. The mindset is changing but for worse. Culturally we were not as bad as we are now.

It doesn't hurt women to be circumspect at certain times, but why in Delhi at 6 in the evening? At present most of the places here are harassment prone at most of the times.

25 years ago my 10 years old sister used to travel alone to school that was 11 kms away by a state transport bus. Today, I can not even imagine this happening. As a website rightly mentioned, movies like Sholay and Bombay will not pass through censor board if produces today. Thats the state of our changing mindsets.

I believe that BBC is not a pro-India channel but this time they just showed us a mirror. We hate them because we actually saw the ugly face in that mirror.

This is my last post on this topic as it will lead us nowhere. They are my views and you may not agree with them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks