Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 23:40   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Problem is not the turning point, and, atleast in our lives, there wont be any turning point. The first requirement for the so called turning point is unity, which is one thing we seriously lack in this country.

French revolution based on brotherhood failed, which is a strong case of failed turning point. Others like Russian did survive and make a mark for themselves for quite long ( in relative terms, of course ). What will we have in turning point ? A son crashes into somebody/something, call his friend or dad or somebody, things solved! And how much public is like that ?

Reality is cruel for good humans of (once great) India. The culture has taken a turn for worse, else nobody would have ruled us for so long and actually ruin us in many ways. Practically, I am finding it tough to find words to express myself in a grim scenario. People basically have got just too self centered, arrogant and egoistic. The current culture is : do wrong stuff as you know you will get away with it, if you have contacts, you can just do anything and still get away with impunity, etc. The basic values are missing. IMO, the only way to improve the entire situation is to have better "VALUE SYSTEM". Else things will remain what they are and still get worse.

The values one has got in childhood and respective brought up will help a person be a better individual. Also the hypocrisy has to be removed from the Indian culture, spread of positive and value enhancing education will enlighten people about boy and girl child, respect for individual, and help in creating a better, positive, cultured and responsible human being who will genuinely be good to living beings.

EDIT:http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...-buyer_1788953

Where are we heading ? And this is our great India ? We cannot protect women, forget protecting motherland with this attitude of citizens of India.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th January 2013 at 00:00.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:33   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not exactly. Things are as before just the reporting and awareness have improved.
Exactly my thoughts, all this sudden burst in rape related news/story makes many people think that things were good before & all these are sudden rise in such incidents, but the fact is that its just that reporting has increased for rape cases. Things remain as bad as they were before.
Old 15th January 2013, 05:49   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Exactly my thoughts, all this sudden burst in rape related news/story makes many people think that things were good before & all these are sudden rise in such incidents, but the fact is that its just that reporting has increased for rape cases. Things remain as bad as they were before.
Well its good that the reporting of incidents is increasing. India's international image is taking a hit though :(. CNN and NBCNews, not to mention the NYT, are reporting on every incident in India.

@aaggoswami: I would tend to agree with your statements. We cannot agree on a single thing in this country. At least we should be able to agree on the rights and safety of women, but even that we cant. Values are taught at home, by mothers and fathers; obviously that isnt happening. If we want to have a "better value system", then the change needs to start with each and every one of us, whether you are rich or poor, whatever, it doesnt matter.

I mean reading this: http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report...mother_1788340 . It really makes you want to cry :(. What can we do? Something has gone wrong with society and we need to have a national conversation everyday as to how to fix it. If you read that article, she came to Delhi to have a better life, to improve herself and her family. Yet now look what has happened. The government has failed when it cannot protect its own citizens adequately...
Old 15th January 2013, 08:31   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts, ... the fact is that its just that reporting has increased for rape cases. Things remain as bad as they were before.
Very true. Such atrocities on women is old norm; just the reporting has become aggressive what with so many news channels. I am afraid that crime may become the new mass entertainment. The depiction of abuse victims and their stories with graphics seems to indicate this sick trend. Even convicted perpetrators of such crimes are never revealed on these mass media, and they freely roam amongst us having the last laugh.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:50   #515
BHPian

Students of Mount Carmel college showing their support for the victims.

Cunningham Road - 16-01-2013 - 12.20 PM to 12.45 PM

The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide, 4 others hanged!-mount-carmel.jpg
Old 16th January 2013, 13:52   #516
BANNED

Quote:
Let me add that with increased awareness the incidence may even have dropped somewhat. However, even one incident is one too many. The reporting and coverage have definitely improved by leaps and bounds. One more thing after all the publicity victims may be more likely to report incidents.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:00   #517
Senior - BHPian

^ True. What we need to have a better justice for such victims is to remove this social stigma which is associated with it. A victim is to be accepted and supported by the society. Infact I dream of the day when I would be able to remove the above two words from the sentence. It should be built into our system to not feel any different towards any victim of such dastardly acts.
Only then they will openly come out and lead to punishment of the guilty. Everything said and done, the final way to deal with this is change in the whole society and how the children are brought up. Boys should be taught to behave well and respect women and girls should brought up like just another human with equal right and infact more respect since women are the creators and we cannot forget that. To bring a life on this earth has to be the most 'awesome' event ever! How have we become complacent to it?
We need to bring our kids and future kids, up in a better way.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:38   #518
Team-BHP Support

I refrained from commenting on this thread until now, and the course this thread has taken over the last few pages should make me think I was right. But that's irrelevant.

What I find shameful is the exhortations for the accused persons' "rights". I don't deny their right to a fair trial or legal representation, neither do I deny that changing laws for a single instance or in the heat of the moment isn't the right thing to do. Any changes to law need to be made keeping in mind possible future repercussions, but I digress.

What I find shameful and always wondered in all such cases, why are we so intent on protecting the rights of the accused, while we did NOTHING to protect those of the victim, while she was alive, and now that she's dead?

To all those who side by the law and the accused's rights, I ask you. What about the victim's rights? Her right to live, love, prosper, have a family, job, children, whatever it is she wanted/desired from life.

And a question, more reflecting on our collective morality than the legal process. What justification or obligation do we have to protect the rights of someone who failed to honor the most basic right any human has, the right to live?
Old 16th January 2013, 21:23   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me add that with increased awareness the incidence may even have dropped somewhat. However, even one incident is one too many. The reporting and coverage have definitely improved by leaps and bounds. One more thing after all the publicity victims may be more likely to report incidents.
That's a good point, all this reporting should make women more forthcoming in reporting abuse.

My only concern is that even after all the publicity they still have not been able to set fast track court after all these days. The plight of cases which do not get much publicity remains to be seen.
Old 16th January 2013, 21:26   #520
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

What justification or obligation do we have to protect the rights of someone who failed to honor the most basic right any human has, the right to live?
Only after the case is tried and the accused pronounced guilty, does the accused become the person who failed to honour the most basic right any human has. So your question doesn't make sense unless the accused is proven guilty.

Quote:
My only concern is that even after all the publicity they still have not been able to set fast track court after all these days.
Doesn't one case getting fast tracked essentially mean that another case (or cases) are becoming slow tracked?

Last edited by carboy : 16th January 2013 at 21:27.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:38   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Only after the case is tried and the accused pronounced guilty, does the accused become the person who failed to honour the most basic right any human has. So your question doesn't make sense unless the accused is proven guilty.
You do know that one of the accused will probably not even stand trial, and worse, will be let loose into the mainstream in the very near future? By your logic, since he'll never be tried in a court of law for his alleged offence, or will be let off because of some legal loophole, he needn't be held accountable for his violations?

Referring to another case, I believe you would've come across the reported case of a man acquitted in a minor's rape/murder case due to shoddy prosecution/investigation, and promptly goes out and does the same thing all over again. His defense will probably find some loophole to get him off again.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th January 2013 at 22:43.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:55   #522
BANNED

Quote:
By your logic, since he'll never be tried in a court of law for his alleged offence, or will be let off because of some legal loophole, he needn't be held accountable for his violations?
I didn't apply any logic whatsoever. I was stating a fact.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:19   #523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I didn't apply any logic whatsoever. I was stating a fact.
The girl is dead, and one of the accused will walk out a free man in 5 months under our existing judicial system. That's a fact too.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:24   #524
BANNED

Quote:
The girl is dead, and one of the accused will walk out a free man in 5 months under our existing judicial system. That's a fact too.
You asked a meaningless question. I responded to it saying it's meaningless. From then on, instead of meaningless stuff, you have started replying to my posts with stuff not relevant to whatever I have written. My last answer to you on this.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:31   #525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You asked a meaningless question. I responded to it saying it's meaningless. From then on, instead of meaningless stuff, you have started replying to my posts with stuff not relevant to whatever I have written. My last answer to you on this.
Meaningless to you, I get it. My apologies for wasting your time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks