Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 18:37   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That's not a misuse - that's the intended use of the juvenile law.
No it isn't, the example I gave about the American system is the spirit of the law, letting such a criminal go is against any kind of justice. It's not a case of a 14 year old vandal or pickpocket, the punishment must match the gravity of the crime and the death penalty is too good for this lowlife.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:53   #662
BANNED

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
No it isn't, the example I gave about the American system is the spirit of the law, letting such a criminal go is against any kind of justice.
No, the American law is framed such that some juvi cases can be tried as adults. The Indian law isn't. Ergo, it isn't a misuse. Whether it's right or wrong is a different argument, but it surely isn't a misuse of the law.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:11   #663
BHPian

Court has found all 4 guilty. Quantum of sentence to be announced on Friday at 2:30 pm.

See the arguments from the defense lawyers .

Defence quotes Mahatma Gandhi in court: "God gives life, God alone can take it"!

Defence lawyer: "Mukesh's mother has already lost one son (Ram Singh). Main us Ma ki taraf se desh‎ ko bheek maangta hoon!" (I am pleading on behalf of his mother).

Akshay has old parents, a wife, and a two- year-old child. He should be shown mercy, argues the defense lawyer.

Akshay has old parents, a wife, and a two- year-old child. He should be shown mercy, argues the defense lawyer.

Whats he trying to say ? They took her life . So they are gods ? She also had parents and a brother ? She also deserved mercy.

She was raped, beaten up, violated with iron rods, intestines ruptured, thrown out into the road naked, and the lawyer has the guts to argue for mercy for the criminals ?
Old 11th September 2013, 14:22   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
She was raped, beaten up, violated with iron rods, intestines ruptured, thrown out into the road naked, and the lawyer has the guts to argue for mercy for the criminals ?
By keeping their families away from such beasts, the court would only be doing the families of these criminals a good deed.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:32   #665
BHPian

For those in favor of reformation and juvenile justice even in such horrendous crimes, here is an example of a " reformed " juvenile rapist.

‘Juvenile’ child rapist and killer threatens victim’s sister after release

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ice-act-jj-act
Old 11th September 2013, 14:33   #666
BANNED

Now sentencing on Friday the 13th!!
Old 11th September 2013, 15:19   #667
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Let us all hope that the Friday's verdict sets a revolution in the Country. A similar verdict should be pronounced for Mumbai rape convicts.

But upmost important is the urgent need to change the mindset of Indian male.

Thanks,
Old 11th September 2013, 15:36   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whats he trying to say ? They took her life . So they are gods ? She also had parents and a brother ? She also deserved mercy.
It is better that the criminal is executed before the child starts going to school. Imagine a teacher asking a first standard student: "what does your father do?".

It would be far easier for the child to say "he is no more" than to say "he is rotting in jail"! If the criminal is still in prison, the teacher will surely ask, "oh! Is he in jail? What did he do?".

What can the child reply?!
Old 11th September 2013, 16:09   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

What can the child reply?!
Irony is that the lawyer wants mercy on him for the sake of that child. That girl was also someone's child
Old 11th September 2013, 16:15   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
A similar verdict should be pronounced for Mumbai rape convicts.
While the Delhi victim is dead, Mumbai victim is still alive. She can take this trauma as bad incident and move on. But that is not an option for Delhi victim. Hence quantum of punishment must be different in these two cases.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:17   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See the arguments from the defense lawyers .

Defence quotes Mahatma Gandhi in court: "God gives life, God alone can take it"!
Since the convicts brutally and mercilessly took the girl's life, is the lawyer trying to say that they are Gods?

Quote:
Defence lawyer: "Mukesh's mother has already lost one son (Ram Singh). Main us Ma ki taraf se desh‎ ko bheek maangta hoon!" (I am pleading on behalf of his mother).
Nirbhaya's mother also lost her only daughter. Main us Ma ki taraf se kanoon se maut ki sazaa ki bheek maangta hoon. Fair enough Mr.Lawyer?

Quote:
Nirbhaya's parents are also old. She also has a brother and was on the verge of finally working as a physiotherapist for which she had trained. She could have taken care of her parents and family as well. Did the beasts show mercy to her?

Besides, didn't Akshay think of his old parents, wife and child when he was committing this act? He is an adult and fully aware of the consequences of his actions even while he was doing it.

I wonder how the judge can sit through such idiotic arguments and keep a straight face!

One of the lawyer also argued that taking of life is against the fundamental right of a person and hence these convicts should not be given death penalty. When these people did not show respect towards Nirbhaya's fundamental right to live then what right do they have to use that same right to continue living their miserable lives?

Having said that I don't think they should be hanged. They have to feel the same humiliation, pain, suffering and helplessness that Nirbhaya felt. When she was begging them to show mercy they violated her more brutally, clearly, they did that because every time she begged for mercy they felt a sense of power over her. That shows how deviant and twisted these people are. The prosecution is right. You cannot show mercy to the merciless.

The only punishment for these twisted beasts is that they should be violated with a similar iron rod repeatedly till they beg for death. Then they should be left alone with no medical treatment. Damaged organs inside their body will result in slow and painful development of septicaemia. Let them suffer in so much pain that every breath they take should send a lighting bolt of pain running through their bodies till they beg God to kill them.

I may have been very graphic and may have even violated TBHP's rules but this case is one of the most barbaric and brutal that I seen in my life. The punishment, I honestly feel, should be as brutal , painful and slow.

Last edited by amit : 11th September 2013 at 16:19.
Old 11th September 2013, 17:24   #672
Senior - BHPian

On second thought, I think I'll ignore defense lawyer's comments. He was only doing his job. He made these statements only to the judge, not to the country.

In many ways, lawyers' job is tough. They have to go against their will and morals to defend their clients. And someone has to defend the client. There cannot be a trial without a defense lawyer, which means there will not be a punishment for the criminal.

I can imagine how the defense lawyers' families are treating them!
Old 11th September 2013, 20:24   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hence quantum of punishment must be different in these two cases.
I feel quite the opposite. The quantum of punishment should be the same. Violating a girls body and soul should be qualify for capital punishment. Child abusers should fall in same category. The whole logic of reforming them does not make sense for me, as time and again, they come out of "reformation" and do the same sadistic act again. Either put them to sleep for ever, or put them behind bars for ever. Nett-nett keep them away from society for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

I may have been very graphic and may have even violated TBHP's rules but this case is one of the most barbaric and brutal that I seen in my life. The punishment, I honestly feel, should be as brutal , painful and slow.
Unfortunately we live in a society where we would feed a kasab and reform a juvenile rapist. Even if these guys are given capital punsihment, they would be in the fag end of the roaster after 100s who are waiting for the mercy petitions filed with President. . We sadly dont have law makers bold enough to make laws that would make an example of such criminals, that the next probable criminal would think 100 times before committing one.

Last edited by mannubhai : 11th September 2013 at 20:25.
Old 11th September 2013, 20:46   #674
Senior - BHPian

I earnestly hope the 4 undertrial guys are swiftly hanged, and the juvi gets a dose of 'divine justice' the day he steps out of the reform home.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:37   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
On second thought, I think I'll ignore defense lawyer's comments. He was only doing his job. He made these statements only to the judge.

In many ways, lawyers' job is tough. They have to go against their will and morals to defend their clients. And someone has to defend the client. There cannot be a trial without a defense lawyer, which means there will not be a punishment for the criminal.
I do agree with everything that you say but what has irritated people is the spirited and passionate defence that these guys have been putting up for these beasts. Besides, do go through this article to get a better idea of the defence that these guys put up. If I was the judge, I would have thrown out these guys in 2 hearings!

Also, came across this well written article by The Guardian UK on the delhi rape incident.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks