Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 15:16   #46
BANNED

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Now one chap confesses to attacking the boy, who was discharged the next day. So he thinks he will get off relatively lightly. I guess he should also be charged as an accessory to the crime.
Old 19th December 2012, 15:21   #47
BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

As long as the policing system comes under the purview of the government, am afraid they will merely remain puppets. Wish we had an alternate / autonomous policing system, something on the lines of institutions like CAG, RBI etc.
Expecting a sea change in morality of such perpetrators will just remain a wish - rather the need of the hour is effective policing and thus fear of punishment.
Can 'citizen groups' play a role in curbing this menace?
Old 19th December 2012, 15:55   #48
BHPian

I am deeply saddened with what happened. I have been following this news and media seems to have gotten serious with this case. While watching a show related to this rape yesterday - I have seen that many women go through incidents like groping especially in the streets of Delhi and few women even said that they kind of take it easy and do not want to make it a scene. And what happens if any guy witnesses this happening? Well, we will just walk away thinking well, I cant do anything about that. The attitude has to change in this country. Everyone is accountable to this - we all should do our bit.

After watching the video above posted by mannubhai, I just don't understand how people have become fearless even in front of a TV camera!!
Old 19th December 2012, 16:34   #49
BHPian

Being a Delhiite, it feels terrible seeing the humanity stoop to such level. I just pray that the girl recovers from this trauma and her family and friends are supportive enough during her recovery. I wrote something last year that matches sentiments expressed in this thread so would like to share it with you all.

Quote:
I have always been a proud Delhiite and have found everything about it so special and personal. It defies all logic that a great city like Delhi can show such apathy towards modesty of women. Everyday girls are being harassed, stalked, abused, attacked with blade, raped and murdered. Someone somewhere with a gun, knife or even blade, feels he can make advances towards a girl and treat her as per his whims if she resists. The fact that in many cases the heinous creature is known to the victim, is most disgusting. If a girl is not safe with her classmates, friends, relatives or colleagues, just spare thought about her state of mind while dealing with strangers.

We always blame our government for being soft on terrorism and we all turn blind to the type of terrorism that so many girls in Delhi go through every day. Isn’t terrorizing a girl to stay indoors and not go out alone, terrorism? Every girl that has been teased or molested is a victim of terror. Before fighting external terrorism, we should wipe out the internal terrorists.

We all feel that by ensuring our mom, sisters and girlfriend/wife are safe at home or work, we have done our part. However when they are out for shopping or commuting from home to work and vice versa, they are for the bystanders, somebody else’s mom, sisters and girlfriend/wife. Thus, everyone is indifferent towards their safety. So are we, towards others. Are we not to blame for the rising guts of these hooligans?

I wanted to write this to vent out the frustration of not being able to do anything about what’s happening around. I will also like to suggest some possible remedies to tackle this menace.

To curtail the current problem:
o Have a serious crack down on people who have access to guns. Once the gun culture is taken care of, all the associated problems like crime against women, road rage will get taken care of. There are so many cowardly people in Delhi who have guns and flaunt them to showcase their power. Do they, really require guns for self-defense. The government should review these licenses and cancel all that are given to people without a genuine need for guns i.e. law enforcers.
o Make the punishment for crime against women the harshest possible to set a proper deterrent. Anybody who doesn’t know how to respect human of opposite sex doesn’t deserve any Human Rights

To end the cause of this problem:
These criminals can be broadly classified into two segments:
o Too much money and no morality
o No money and no morality

The common factor in the two is morality. For the second segment, education to inculcate the fear of law, and employment to keep them busy might work. However for the first segment, we should start early. These days not too many urban parents have time for their children thus; very conveniently, they stuff the child with money and let him “Spend at will”. Even the grand parents are not present to inculcate the moral values. Thus, schools should take responsibility of teaching values and respect towards women at an early age.

I sincerely hope the government wakes up from the deep slumber and starts acting towards solving the situation. Moreover, we all should also not encourage our friends who believe teasing a girl at pub is fine because she at first place wanted to be there. Let’s try and correct each other and maybe it will make a difference to society at large.

We shall overcome someday!!!

Last edited by Biraj : 19th December 2012 at 16:37. Reason: Removed the link to FB note as it wasn't working
Old 19th December 2012, 16:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I am deeply saddened with what happened. I have been following this news and media seems to have gotten serious with this case. While watching a show related to this rape yesterday - I have seen that many women go through incidents like groping especially in the streets of Delhi and few women even said that they kind of take it easy and do not want to make it a scene. And what happens if any guy witnesses this happening? Well, we will just walk away thinking well, I cant do anything about that. The attitude has to change in this country. Everyone is accountable to this - we all should do our bit.

After watching the video above posted by mannubhai, I just don't understand how people have become fearless even in front of a TV camera!!
I can't watch the video.. Doesn't work in the US. @Biraj, very well put . I feel like us talking about this on here.. On this message board, is a good start, but it needs to be a mass movement.
Old 19th December 2012, 17:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The ONLY way to prevent our society from rotting is to bring in laws advocating strict and cruel punishments for such criminals. That is the only way you can instill some fear into these animals. Unless that happens I guess things will just continue the way they are. The Govt. of the day will make some committee and everything will be forgotten in sometime to come only to be discussed again when another women is subjected to this horror in the streets of Delhi.
Totally agree with this. The punishment for rape and other such heinous crimes have to be extremely severe to serve as a deterrent. There has a been public demand for capital punishment for the perpetrators of this crime and I think there might be a case for that considering the brutality with which these men raped and then tortured the victim, and then threw her by the road side to die. That has to classify as a "rarest of the rare case". These animals definitely deserve to be hung but even otherwise, the punishment for rape has to be harsher than just rigorous imprisonment for a few years. The victim has to live with the shame, mental agony and the associated social stigma and it's only fair that the punishment should be such that it makes the rapist's life much worse.

Last edited by sunny310c : 19th December 2012 at 18:14.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

The overall hooliganism and politicos supporting them has made a joke out of the judicial system. These days even police has to hide the identity of the criminal because of the human rights. Do such criminals really deserve such rights? Will the politicos be silent if their daughters are raped and beaten up?

The time has come when people who live by the law of the jungle should be punished by the law of the jungle.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:53   #53
BHPian

The girls condition is critical. Her intestines have been surgically removed From NDTV :

In a two-hour-long surgery, almost the entire intestines of the 23-year-old medical student, who was gang-raped and brutally beaten with an iron rod for about 45 minutes on a Delhi bus, have been removed. Doctors attending to her said the intestines had become "non-viable and prone to gangrene."

Her abdomen has been cleaned and closed. The doctors describe this as "one of the most tragic incidents we have ever seen," and said this evening that the young woman is in critical condition. They say all emergency procedures have been performed now and they expect to do no more surgeries in the next one week.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/d...ry-307392?home
Old 19th December 2012, 18:54   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
TThere has a been public demand for capital punishment for the perpetrators of this crime and I think there might be a case for that considering the brutality with which these men raped and then tortured the victim, and then threw her by the road side to die. That has to classify as a "rarest of the rare case". These animals definitely deserve to be hung
Hanging would be too easy a eay according to me. When you say you need to make an example of them for others of there category so that it proves like a deterrent then you are talking of much more brutal ways than hanging my friend. Atleast I would like it ot be that way. Stoning, Flogging, Cut and let them bleed to death are some of the ways I would recommend. Or what better than beating them to death with an Iron Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The overall hooliganism and politicos supporting them has made a joke out of the judicial system. These days even police has to hide the identity of the criminal because of the human rights. Do such criminals really deserve such rights?
I was rather amused when I saw them being extended the dignity of staying anonymous by the Police. I was reminded of the incident in Guwahati where the whole administartion including the Women rights Group represntative were seen happily sharing the name of the victim with the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
In a two-hour-long surgery, almost the entire intestines of the 23-year-old medical student, who was gang-raped and brutally beaten with an iron rod for about 45 minutes on a Delhi bus, have been removed. Doctors attending to her said the intestines had become "non-viable and prone to gangrene."
Really feeling sorry for the Victim man. What kind of life is she looking at even if she makes through this horror? First of all to deal with the trauma of the crime itself is a BIG challenge and then on top of it the severe limitations to her lifestyle that her injuries and subsequent surgeries would subject her to. My prayers are with the victim and her family. Hope she makes a healthy recovery.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th December 2012 at 18:58. Reason: text added
Old 19th December 2012, 19:14   #55
BHPian

People are outraged and rightly so. But the trouble is that it takes an incident this heinous to infuriate people. What, did the multitudes of 'smaller' incidents of sexual harassment (the magnitude of which is belittled by terming them as "eve-teasing") not affect us? If those 'smaller' incidents did not bring out the outrage in us - therein lies the problem. I am in no way calling the other incidents 'small' - just trying to reflect how most of the people think.

I think everyone should keep the larger picture in mind, yet the primary focus should be on what we control directly. The basic unit of a country is not a city or village or a panchayat, it is the family.

In my opinion when you filter it down to the last grain, it really is an issue or moral values and ethics. A lot of people are brought up with no sense of right and wrong. It is up to us as parents to ensure we do our duty and teach our children moral values and correct human behavior.

It is the little things that matter: - as an unrelated example, if your children get to know that you laughed at a joke degrading women, they will get the idea that what the joke represents is trivial or acceptable.

Treat your children right and teach them the right things so that they grow up to be good human beings, not monsters that we see and hear about *everyday* on television.

The perpetrators are not 'those people', they are part of the society we live in. A society that we shape, mould, and build.
Old 19th December 2012, 19:17   #56
BHPian

Really inexplicable act that brings utmost shame to not only the police but also the whole nation! Those six morons should be hanged to death! I mean, how could they do such an act! This callous attitude by Delhi police is extremely disgusting. Why aren't they able to catch those six psychos and if not six psychos, atleast those three men involved in eve teasing. Such nincompoops must be hanged to death and recent news show that the girl is still in extreme condition and protests are going on in form of roadside plays, rallies etc.

If people of Egypt could overthrow a dictatorship, these protests can atleast solve this case and prohibit such incidents from ever happening in India.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:33   #57
BHPian

Even if they did get the Life term or capital punishment, isn't still too less for what they have done? They will cool their heels for a few years in the jail and then apply for mercy and by then the intensity of the issue would have diluted, just like Aruna Shaunbag's case. They might even get mercy and walk free. If they dont get mercy, all it takes is a few minutes to die in the gallows. Is that enough?

They have beaten the poor girl with iron rods and the victim is down with serious injuries to her intestines. Even if she pulls this through, rest of her life would be such a misery.

These animals should be lynched in public.

Last edited by veyron_head : 19th December 2012 at 20:39.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:18   #58
BHPian

Being a Delhite i feel terrible after this incident the kind of Dent it leaves on my city and its people, i read one of them was detained in Bihar, presently i am in Bangalore and i might sound a bit regional but people who raped here were uneducated men not belonging to the city, the problem is not only fear of law but also education in the country (not literacy) but education. Police also needs to improve there image so that people can report crime, i read in an article that these actually looted a person at RK puram first and threw him out of the bus but that guy did not report anything or made any noise, if he might have reported may be the rape could have been prevented. We can blame anything that its male dominant or whatever but that's not the case. Its just few things

Education
Police image
Fear of Law
Constant monitoring of public transport (like Europe)
Setting education limit for license
Old 19th December 2012, 21:25   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Being a Delhite i feel terrible after this incident the kind of Dent it leaves on my city and its people, i read one of them was detained in Bihar, presently i am in Bangalore and i might sound a bit regional but people who raped here were uneducated men not belonging to the city,
A criminal doesn't have an identity, he/she is a bloddy criminal. Period.

I have been seeing many Facebook shares & that the 6 were Biharis & subziwallas (vegetable sellers) and whatever.

I hope no region, creed, caste labels is given to this episode. They all should be arrested & be given highest punishment as per judiciary.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 21:32   #60
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2012 at 13:42.
Mindgrinder is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed