Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Thank you Sachin for being there in the field for 23 years, carrying & personifying aspirations & hope of millions of Indians; connecting languages across states and giving a sense of patriotism to the frustrated, helpless aam-aadmi. Thanks for all the boundaries you have hit; all the over-boundaries that brought loud cheer from Indians across the globe. Thanks for all the wickets taken too, for each one of them taught us that we need to look out for opportunities in life and grab them as they come. Thanks also for the balls you have missed hitting those square cuts, it gave the bowler one more chance to improve his bowling avg. Thanks for those instances where you were almost Out, we gasped collectively as a nation; and all those deliveries where you got Out -- Every Indian knew who was the national enemy that day. Finally, a certain Mr.Obama allegedly once said, “I watch cricket, not because I understand it, but just to see who is the guy who …when he plays…the productivity of my country drops 50%”. Well Mr.Obama, now you can be sure there'd be no loss of productivity henceforth.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sachin Tendulkar retires from ODI cricket

About time, I say.

Butttt, as a fan I DEMAND a farewell match just to watch him one last time in colored clothings
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

About time and not graceful. He should have retired long back.
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:54   #4
BANNED

Yes, too late. People have been asking Why Not for quit some time now.
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:14   #5
BHPian

Hi everybody
Ankan.m.blr
Love that Obama comment.
A stray thought:
There was some talk of his not being selected.He preempted the selectors.Does it reek of a deal?I dont know.Curious why today when the selectors are meeting.2/3 days back he was available for selection.
On a different thread here I had given a link to the economic times about his reason for continuing.That was an interesting take.
Regards
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
Thank you Sachin for being there in the field for 23 years, carrying & personifying aspirations & hope of millions of Indians; connecting languages across states and giving a sense of patriotism to the frustrated, helpless aam-aadmi. Thanks for all the boundaries you have hit; all the over-boundaries that brought loud cheer from Indians across the globe. Thanks for all the wickets taken too, for each one of them taught us that we need to look out for opportunities in life and grab them as they come. Thanks also for the balls you have missed hitting those square cuts, it gave the bowler one more chance to improve his bowling avg. Thanks for those instances where you were almost Out, we gasped collectively as a nation; and all those deliveries where you got Out -- Every Indian knew who was the national enemy that day. Finally, a certain Mr.Obama allegedly once said, “I watch cricket, not because I understand it, but just to see who is the guy who …when he plays…the productivity of my country drops 50%”. Well Mr.Obama, now you can be sure there'd be no loss of productivity henceforth.
Also thanks for walking away gracefully, without uttering a single word or shake of the head, when you were given out wrongly (on numerous occasions). It taught us that to become a icon you need more than just being a great player.
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:42   #7
A M
BHPian

I wanted him to complete 50 ODI centuries.:(
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:43   #8
BHPian

Sad news but it had to come some day eventually. Would have been nice to see him against PAK from Christmas onwards. I was also in an impression that he was available for selection till some time back.

I feel that there should have been a grand farewell of some kind in his honor.

Sigh ! :(
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

The reason why I started watching cricket is because of him. ( the same way A R Rahman made me purchase the first cassette after fighting with my grandpa )

Thought of sharing some special Sachin ODI moments here.

This innings was the turning point of Sachin's ODI career. He was made an opener for the first time at the age of 21, and in the very first innings against NZ in NZ, he thrashed 82 runs of just 49 balls! In those times, such high strike rate from odi openers were unheard of. The joy he gave Indian spectators is unparalleled. He took us to another world as far as batsmanship was concerned

Sachin's first ODI runs at the age of 16. The utter disrespect he showed towards great bowlers like Richard Hadlee was a first timer from an Indian batsman. This 36 of 39 was after 2 ducks in his first 2 innings. The 2 ducks prior to this innings and the fact that he was dropped before this match didn't have any kind of effect on Sachin's positive mindset. It was kind of a Sehwag mindset for Sachin as well at that age.

At the age of 18, Sachin Tendulkar fearlessly taking on world's best fast bowlers - Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younus. At a time, when strike rate of 80 was considered excellent in an ODI, Tendulkar scored 52 of 40 balls. If you check the scorecard, - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65941.html, you will understand how slow the other batsman of that time were.

Sachin's 100 ( his 15th ) against Australia in Sharja Cup Final. I bet a person who has watched this innings will never ever forget those sixes he played against Shane Warne and Kasporovics. He single handedly took India to victory. And it needed an umpiring error to get him out finally ( pitched outside leg and missing off ! ). But, by that time, the job was already done

If the 100 in the Sharja cup final was Gold, the innings ( his 14th 100 ) to take India to the final of Sharjah cup can be termed - Kohinoor. This match is known for the dust storm that interrupted the match in between. Some of my favourite moments of the match -
1) The first 2 sixes of the match. The first one was a pre-meditated heave to deep midwicket. The 2nd ball, Sachin probably anticipated a short ball even before the ball was bowled. He was staying back, waiting for that short ball and he hooked it perfectly for another 6. Mind reading at its best that was.
2) After the interruption in play due to dust storm, and after the target was revised ( to a tougher one ), the first ball was thrashed over bowler's head for another 6.
3) Every shot played after the above mentioned shot was vintage Tendulkar at his best. This is arguably the best one day innings ever.
Again, like in the final, it required an umpiring error to get him out. He was out of an attempted hook for a ball that went above his shoulder ( no-ball ). Sachin waited for the umpire to signal no-ball. But, that wasn't to be. Neverthless, he did ensure that India qualified for the final.

The famous Henry Olonga revenge by Sachin. I hope, all Sachin fans remembers this match.

Like a red wine, he got better with age. This 175 is an innings that I rate very highly ( even higher than his 200 in ODI )

Tendulkar tearing apart the pace bowling duo of Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akthar in a crucial WC encounter. Surely one of his all time bests. During the final stages of the innings, he was injured as well.

Sachin's famous 6 off Caddick. Before the match, Caddick had commented on the weakness of Sachin. What a reply that was?

Last edited by amalji : 23rd December 2012 at 18:04.
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, too late. People have been asking Why Not for quit some time now.
So true. Had he retired soon after fulfilling his wish of being part of world-cup winning team, his greatness would have grown. He carried on when India did not need him in ODI. Great player indeed, Greatest of his era, not so sure.
Old 23rd December 2012, 17:58   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
This innings was the turning point of Sachin's ODI career. He was made an opener for the first time at the age of 21, and in the very first innings against NZ in NZ, he thrashed 82 runs of just 49 balls! In those times, such high strike rate from odi openers were unheard of.
Mark Greatbatch from NZ was the one who pioneered this technique in the 91-92 WC in Australia. It came under the brilliant captaincy of Martin Crowe (cousin of Russell Crowe) - and one of the most brilliant batsmen of his era.
Crowe did a lot of other unheard of things in that World Cup. Opening the bowling with a spinner (Deepak Patel). There was just one fielder outside the circle - and good old Cheeka hit the ball right into his hands. Another thing Crowe did in that WC was using a lot of bowlers who weren't really test quality bowlers but who could also bat reasonably well. This tactic is far more common now.

That world cup also involved 2 brilliant spells bowled to Tendulkar - one from Botham and one from Ambrose. Both of them ended up getting Tendulkar's wicket with their outstanding bowling.

Quote:
Sachin's first ODI runs at the age of 16. The utter disrespect he showed towards great bowlers like Richard Hadlee was a first timer from an Indian batsman. This 36 of 39 was after 2 ducks in his first 2 innings. The 2 ducks prior to this innings and the fact that he was dropped before this match didn't have any kind of effect on Sachin's positive mindset. It was kind of a Sehwag mindset for Sachin as well at that age.
There was an exhibition limited overs match in his debut Pakistan series. India had almost lost the match. At that time, Tendulkar came to the crease & massacred Abdul Qadir. Abdul Qadir at that time was a highly feared spinner on Pakistan pitches - but Tendulkar butchered him. That for me was the first indication that this was a special batsman.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/145713.html

Last edited by carboy : 23rd December 2012 at 18:05.
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will."
- Time in their tribute to the little master
I started following cricket actively just about the same time Sachin surfaced. earlier we did not have any Television so used to collect cricket magazines (cricket samrat if I remember the name correctly and later Sportstar, its 20+ years now) I remember all the innings I've seen Sachin play, we'd start following the game only when he'd come to the crease and inevitably shut down the tele when he'd get out.

Today that he is out for good, my television for cricket is also going to be shut down for good! I also retire from following cricket. Thank you Sachin for all the great moments. It was really really long innings from him, he's been playing even before the likes of Federer, Bolt, Schumacker etc surfaced. What a champion.
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Also thanks for walking away gracefully, without uttering a single word or shake of the head, when you were given out wrongly (on numerous occasions). It taught us that to become a icon you need more than just being a great player.

Even if you create a ruckus & cry like a baby it's no use. Once the umpire says out (even wrongly) any player cannot continue. Nothing graceful/leader like in sachin walking away timidly.

I feel that sachin was long overdue. Sharad pawar played his bit here definitely.

Last edited by Ford5 : 23rd December 2012 at 18:07.
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Mark Greatbatch from NZ was the one who pioneered this technique in the 91-92 WC in Australia. It came under the brilliant captaincy of Martin Crowe (cousin of Russell Crowe) -
Yes, the technique was started by Martin Crowe. But, Greatbatch never scored even nearly as fast as what Sachin did when he was made the opener. Sachin's ODI opening batsmanship reformed the ODI style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There was an exhibition limited overs match in his debut Pakistan series. India had almost lost the match. At that time, Tendulkar came to the crease & massacred Abdul Qadir. Abdul Qadir at that time was a highly feared spinner on Pakistan pitches - but Tendulkar butchered him. That for me was the first indication that this was a special batsman.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/145713.html
Yes, I remember that story. Here is the video clipping of Sachin smashing Abdul Qadir -

Last edited by amalji : 23rd December 2012 at 18:26.
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:18   #15
BHPian

The man who brought cricketing joy to the Indians, who has done the same thing, going out and entertaining the crowds, for 20 long years, 463 times and has 49 very joyous moments, with one gem of the crown, a double hundred, finally decides to hang his boots for the limited over formats of the game.

It has been 20 long years since he has been doing the very same thing with all the dedication and effort all for his country. A highest run scorer, most centuries, most number of matches may be enough to determine the player, but are certainly not enough to determine the PERSON in the player. Other than being a very very talented player, being a good human being is what he has achieved.

I too wished to have him seen one last time in colored clothing playing his heart out for the country, but then, being a fan, I respect his decision.

Salute you, Mr. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.

Quote:

Thought of sharing some special Sachin ODI moments here.
That's a real great collection. I relived all the moments of those days today. Thank you.

BTW, how did you miss the double hundred? For me, seeing his arms up in the air, his head held high up after every feat he achieved were some of the best moments.

A parting picture:
Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match-25022010001002004.jpg

Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks