Team-BHP - Electro Magnetic Radiation and EMF Sensitivity
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Electro Magnetic Radiation and EMF Sensitivity (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/130600-electro-magnetic-radiation-emf-sensitivity.html)

I came across this video yesterday and was very shocked to find out how sensitive animals and human beings are to even faintly excessive electro magnetic radiation. I initially thought this was some weird conspiracy video but as I delved into the subject online, I discovered stories that prove this right.

EMF radiation affects every human being beyond certain levels, but I discovered we have people amongst us that are hypersensitive to EMF radiation (Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity - EHS) and symptoms can range from mere annoyance to high EMF levels from say a microwave or a CRT TV (or even a CFL!), to skin and body problems and even internal bleeding for some that are exposed to overhead powerlines or mobile phone towers. The video goes on to discuss how a locality in the close vicinity of a mobile phone tower was discovering increasing levels of cancer in its residents.

Here is what one person who reviewed an EMF meter did after his purchase:

Quote:

Here's what I'm now doing differently:
1. I rearranged our TVs so the older high-radiation sets are in rooms we don't use very often.
2. I sit on the other side of the dining table when the living room TV is on (it radiates like fury in all directions, out to 6 feet distance).
3. I try to stay 6 feet away from the microwave oven when it's on (you would be amazed at the field strength it produces).
4. Whenever possible, I set my cell phone (iPhone) a foot away instead of in my pocket next to my body - every time it "checks in" with the nearest cell tower, there's a spike in RF radiation nearby.
5. I am aware that wherever there's a running motor, there will be fields in the immediate vicinity - up to a foot away. So don't lean against a running dishwasher, for example.
This might well be the reason why I feel flustered after spending time near a CRT computer monitor ! I can also sense when somebody has turned on the TV, I can hear a high pitched buzz in my ears immediately.

Has anybody here experienced issues with EMF sensitivity? Please share your experiences/views.

I wanted to purchase an EMF meter but couldn't find a source in India. There are a few on Amazon but looks like they don't ship to India. I'd be really happy if someone can source me a quality meter in India!

You could try this, they ship to India.
http://dx.com/p/2-0-lcd-display-elec...-x-6f22-170486
I've not bought anything yet from dx..

Quote:

Originally Posted by raihan (Post 2999182)
You could try this, they ship to India.
http://dx.com/p/2-0-lcd-display-elec...-x-6f22-170486
I've not bought anything yet from dx..

DX is fairly reliable as a site. If you dont get your product or it is damaged, they arrange for a new unit.

As far as OP is concerned, this is a controversial topic as of now

Quote:

Originally Posted by latentpotential (Post 2999196)

As far as OP is concerned, this is a controversial topic as of now

Not trying to convince you, but I just went through my cellphone's manual (fineprint) and am surprised by what's in there. Read what's recommended for non-adults and pregnant women - an SMS!! That is because the skulls of children aren't as thick as that of an adult and hence are more susceptible to exposure. The SAR values of your phones were tested on an adult skull model.

You should read through your phone's manual too! The video in the OP shows high-end mobile phones stating "Standard Usage Guidelines" along the lines of keep phone 1/2 to 1 inch away from body to keep it safe for use.

Electro Magnetic Radiation and EMF Sensitivity-img_3138.jpg

Most flats in my complex were having issues with Airtel's connectivity.

So after a bunch of complaints were logged, Airtel installed this on the premises.
Does anyone have any idea of how safe or unsafe these are?

Electro Magnetic Radiation and EMF Sensitivity-image.jpg

I don't have any additional data on its emissions levels and strengths.

Please advice.

Has anybody tried emf shielding of their house from cell phone tower radiation? I might embark on such a project soon. But before that I would love to know from anyone who have tried how good various materials are in shielding emf. The materials I have in mind are reflective film on window glass and aluminium panels on some walls.

Recently purchased a 3 axis EMF meter and my findings have been surprising. I have been consistently getting about 500-600 yW/m2 (micro watt per metre square) in our living room. Measurements in the spaces around this room are less. So I kept on wondering where this radiation is coming from. I started serious investigation this Sunday. I thought must be the inverter. So got 2' away from it, pointed the meter at it and indeed reading shot up to 24 mW/m2 :Shockked:(milliwatt per metre square). Milliwatt is 1000x microwatt.

So went to great length switching off inverter, had to remove wiring from battery. No change in reading. So looked around and noticed cordless phone above inverter. Switched it off from power adapter. Reading dropped down less than 10 yW/m2. Wow!

Below are some sample reading:
6' away from wifi router
Router Off = 500 yW/m2, router On = 1500 yW/m2.

3' away from USB wifi adapter
Adapter off = 25 yW/m2, adapter on = 900 yW/m2
Putting on wifi router 30' away makes little difference.

Ipad wifi radiation is also on the same order as any wifi adapter.

Note:
1 All reading are my mental average of instantaneous reading taken on the higher side. Reading fluctuates a lot. If a particular reading session fluctuates from 50 to 500 but on the higher side it hovers around 300 to 500 I will take reading of 400.
2. Influence from neighbouring flats cannot be ruled out. Early morning I get readings less than 5 yW/m2 in these same spaces.
3. For want of special symbol, 'y' denotes Greek 'mu'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3452609)
Recently purchased a 3 axis EMF meter and my findings have been surprising.

Where did you source the EMF meter from?

Guite, thanks a lot for posting your findings here.

Your findings are shocking. The router emitting high EMF radiation is not good news as our router is ON 24X7 along with several other WiFi receiving devices.

Quote:

Putting on wifi router 30' away makes little difference.
Are you saying it makes NO difference how far you are from the router (upto a certain distance)?

Did you try testing near a microwave, how about a CRT TV? An induction cooktop? These would be some of the devices I'd be very wary of.

Also, please try testing near CFL bulbs and an incandescent bulb (if you have one). Also try devices like laptop chargers and air conditioner indoor units.

Sorry I have a long list, I'm just listing devices that either make me feel queasy (CRT TV) or those that I'm curious to know about.

Thanks a lot!

I would suggest a havan. I saw it on American TV channel that EMF is caused by souls trapped between our world and theirs.

Havan will help them move on and fix this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3452651)
I would suggest a havan. I saw it on American TV channel that EMF is caused by souls trapped between our world and theirs.

Havan will help them move on and fix this.

I hope you weren't serious in posting that.

I got it from a local market at wholesale rate. its available off ebay India too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 3452648)
The router emitting high EMF radiation is not good news as our router is ON 24X7 along with several other WiFi receiving devices.

In a home environment you can always turn it off when not in use.

Quote:

Are you saying it makes NO difference how far you are from the router (upto a certain distance)?
While measuring radiation from wifi adapter, I was 30' feet away from router. Turning ON router did not increase radiation level by any noticeable amount.

Quote:

Did you try testing near a microwave, how about a CRT TV? An induction cooktop?!
I wasn't exactly ghost hunting, so did not point the meter at each and every electrical appliances. I do not have a CRT monitor but microwave oven is indeed a good candidate. However lets face it, household appliances you use as per your requirement and so are within your control. It is mobile phone towers of which you have little control and which emit constant radiation 24x7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3452651)

Your sense of humour always lightens things up :). Searching EMF meter in the Apple Appstore returns results like paranormal detector.

Huh, I don't know why the topic shifted to ghosts and paranormal activities, but my concern is purely science based.

Guite, the router can't be turned off. We have several people using it at different times of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 3453209)
Huh, I don't know why the topic shifted to ghosts and paranormal activities, but my concern is purely science based.

Guite, the router can't be turned off. We have several people using it at different times of the day.

I want to understand why do you want to switch off the router? WIFI signals have no bearing on health, even though for mobile towers the jury is out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3453221)
I want to understand why do you want to switch off the router? WIFI signals have no bearing on health, even though for mobile towers the jury is out.

I misunderstood Guite's post. When he said it makes no difference from 30' away I thought he said the router continued to emit high EMF even from that far away, which is why I was shocked. Guite's next post explains things, though.