Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 13:51   #1
BHPian

Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill

Introduction

This is a Black & Decker CD70 Hammer Drill 13mm with screw driving option. It was given to me by my father. It is a DIY drill for most general purposes. It cost around INR 5500. Here is a small review of it. i have benn using it from 2 years with no problems at all.
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-box.jpg
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-cover-trans.jpg
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-clips.jpg
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-rivet.jpg
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-specs.jpg

The Package
  • 13mm Drll
  • Drill Carrying Case
  • Kit-Box for drill bits
  • Manual
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-case-kitbox.jpg

Main Features
• Sufficient power for most DIY drilling tasks.
• 13mm, high quality keyed chuck.
• Kit-box to protect your drill and to keep all the accessories together.
• Variable speed offers more control and is essential for screw driving.
• Hammer action, suitable for drilling into masonry.
• Lock on button for greater comfort.

Specifications

Power 710 W
Voltage 230 V
Chuck Keyed
Chuck Size 13 mm
Hammer Yes
Drill only action Yes
Max. capacity - wood 24 mm
Max. capacity - steel 19 mm
Max capacity - masonry 25 mm
Reverse Yes
Speed Variable rpm
No Load Speed 0-2800 rpm
Cable length 2 m
Kit-box Yes
Adjustable depth stop No
Secondary handle Yes
Two gears No
Adjustable 2nd handle No
Lock-on switch Yes
Kit Box Yes
Additional accessories No
Clutch mechanism No

Build Quality

The first thing that you notice about the B&D Unit is its build quality; a factor very important for drilling tasks. Everything about it oozes sturdiness & non-breakability. The cases (for carrying the Drill & the Drill Bits) are made of hard-plastic which makes them strong as well as resistant to scratches. It is riveted at 3 wide points so you can be sure that the pivot will hold for a really long time. The drill itself is durable enough to outlast its owner. The cord is also excellent, providing a fuse in the plug itself. They close by means of a pull-up clip. The fit/finish is also excellent with no panel gaps anywhere. It has a transparent cover on the Case Lid where you can keep the drill bits & screw heads if you don’t want to carry a separate kit-box.

Drilling Experience
Now, coming to the driller itself, it is about 12“in length. It has options for varying RPM’s as well as reversing directions; hence it can be used as a screwdriver as well. Since it is a hammer drill, it has options for both hammering & normal drilling. The screwdriver bits have been provided in the Kit box. Altogether the driller is excellent for most practical purposes.

The Kit-Box
The kit-box contains the drill bits and the screw driver bits. It has drill bits from the thinnest to the thickest one. The screwdriver heads are present for all types, including flat, Philip (+). Exact Contents are listed below:

Screw heads:
• PH2
• PH1
• PH3
• PZ2
• PZ1
• PZ3

Drill Bits
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-screw-driver-set.jpg
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-drill-bit-set.jpg

Cost
It was bought in New Delhi and it cost him around INR 5500 around 2 years back. I have been using it since then.

Negatives
Although I tried to find negatives, I could only find two.
• No second handle: For a drill that is so versatile, a second handle could have helped. Many times I have found my arm shaking wildly without a proper grip. There are places where you require a lot of grip, for ex drilling into masonry.
• Adjustable depth stop: Again something which could have helped in getting the last bit of perfection that you wanted. Anyway, I guess that one cannot have anything that everyone wants.

The Directoon Selection Switch
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-direction-selection-switch.jpg

The hammer/regular mode selection switch.
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-hammerregular-mode-selection-switch.jpg

The Label indicating the model
Click image for larger version

Name:	Specs.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	1040215
Attached Thumbnails
Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill-head.jpg  

Old 20th January 2013, 20:02   #2

re: Review : Black & Decker CD70 12mm Hammer Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
The first thing that you notice about the B&D Unit is its build quality; a factor very important for drilling tasks. Everything about it oozes sturdiness & non-breakability. The drill itself is durable enough to outlast its owner.

It has options for varying RPM’s as well as reversing directions; hence it can be used as a screwdriver as well. Since it is a hammer drill, it has options for both hammering & normal drilling.
Nice review, I hope that likeminded people on the forum will find it useful. I am running a woodworking workshop and all my operators prefer Black and Decker drill machines for lightweight (aiding precision), durability (no play in collet/ shaft even after a number of drops), reverse function (they use it to quickly toggle between bits, without using the chuck key), varying RPM's (so they don't shear through a soft workpiece). And its dirt cheap for what it offers. Other probable contenders being Bosch, Makita, Skill, Dewalt etc., before you aim towards Atlas Copco runners.

One of my unskilled operators unknowingly burnt the motor winding on one B&D drill trying to force the jammed machine through metal bar under RCC, smoke started billowing from the side grill at the back and the motor went kaput, the machine was replaced.

The drawbacks from my perspective are a particularly small chord for a hand tool and a plug that is designed poorly never fitting tight into any socket. In addition to lack of a quick connect chuck and the second handle as you mentioned.

Apart from that, the machine deserves to be kept busy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks