Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 11:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aero India 2013 - Pictures

Great pictures. Thanks and no need to attend the show.

Since we have decided on buying the French fighters, U.S might not be that interested in showcasing their wares this time.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

No pics of the WSI Dhruv gunship, aka Rudra? The first one of which is going to be handed over to the Army Aviation Corps during the show.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

the LCH a.k.a Tiger will be India's version of the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter albeit nowhere near its sophistication, yet.

it was there in the 2011 Aero India too. did see it parked on the runway, not flying around though. or maybe i missed it
Old 5th February 2013, 12:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
the LCH a.k.a Tiger will be India's version of the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter albeit nowhere near its sophistication, yet.

it was there in the 2011 Aero India too. did see it parked on the runway, not flying around though. or maybe i missed it
The Tiger monicker already exists for another helicopter gunship - The Eurocopter EC665 Tiger:

The LCH will be more nearer to the AH-1 Cobra than the heavier Apache, 22 of which India is getting for the IAF or IAAC.

EDIT: the Indian Army's first weaponised Dhruv Gunship - Rudra:

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th February 2013 at 12:20. Reason: Adding Rudra pic
Old 5th February 2013, 13:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, LCH was present in 2011 as part of static display. It was not flown during display. Had seen it flown as part of test/ trials near HAL airport almost on daily basis.

Was hoping Apache's will be part of airshow this year since IAF has signed contract for purchase of the same. However from the list I guess will have to wait till next time.

Iam planning to visit AeroIndia on this Saturday. Any TBHPians planning on same day? I will be at business visitor area through gate 5.
Old 5th February 2013, 13:55   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures.

I had the privilege of seeing the 2009 show. It was awesome with almost everybody there considering the huge contracts which were India was planning to roll out.

Planning to visit the show on this Saturday. Tickets already done.
Old 5th February 2013, 14:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hari, are the US air force part of the show this year? Didn't see it in the papers. The F16 is from USAF right? No F-18? C-17 Globe master?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
No, Viddy, I doubt if the USAF is having flight displays this time, there was a C-17 but on static display. the F-16 was from France I was told and there is no F-18 too. The whole show seemed watered down this time.

coming back to the final set of pics

Thus a morning was well spent, the advantage we had was, we were away from the crowds and got some good vantage points to click the snaps and we did not have to buy any tickets .
It is not from the USAF they are from their respective manufacturers.
Boeing and Lockheed martin.

Last time the F16 had come from UAE.

The show is not going to be as important as the last time since the India multi billion dollar MMRCA deal is already done.

India still continues to be a big time defence spender so the industry guys are looking to catch up on that.
Old 5th February 2013, 14:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Great pictures. Thanks and no need to attend the show.

Since we have decided on buying the French fighters, U.S might not be that interested in showcasing their wares this time.
not necessarily, India has bought the Apache and the P8i and i am sure the US is keen on selling other stuff to India. Personally, i think India should pick up some Predator drones
Old 5th February 2013, 15:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Iam planning to visit AeroIndia on this Saturday. Any TBHPians planning on same day? I will be at business visitor area through gate 5.
will be going with my brother-in-law on Friday mostly. got the VIP passes courtesy my other brother-in-law who's a Major in the Army and was part of Army Aviation until recently

anybody on Friday?
Old 5th February 2013, 16:16   #25
BHPian

I was there today, will upload the photos once i am home. Will be there the on Thursday and Friday.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
This was an unusual looking aircraft
The unusual aircraft is the Rustom UAV that is being developed by the DRDO.

Quote:
The F-16 was from France
Are you sure mate? The USAF does not generally operate from France and the French Air Force does not fly the F 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
No pics of the WSI Dhruv gunship, aka Rudra? The first one of which is going to be handed over to the Army Aviation Corps during the show.
The Rudra and the LCH are the same helicopter.

Quote:
The LCH is a.k.a Rudra. As far as the comparison with the Apache goes, the LCH is a Light Combat Helicopter as is not in the same aircraft class as the Apache so the comparison is perhaps not fair. However, if the DRDO is able to integrate the kind of avionics that it says it will into the machine, it will be quite capable for the role it was intended to fulfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Personally, i think India should pick up some Predator drones
Personally I agree, but are they selling?
Old 5th February 2013, 20:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure mate? The USAF does not generally operate from France and the French Air Force does not fly the F 16.
This is what the Wing commander who was with us told me, even I was perplexed.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Rudra and LCH are not the same IIRC. Rudra is a weaponised Dhruv.

LCH is another derivative of Dhruv

In the image, the helicopter on the ground (right side) is Rudra. The one in the air is LCH

EDIT:The unusual aircraft is a research aircraft developed by NAL. I could be wrong

image source: here
Attached Thumbnails
Aero India 2013 - Pictures-ru4d.jpg  

Last edited by zteg : 5th February 2013 at 21:30.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The unusual aircraft is the Rustom UAV that is being developed by the DRDO.

The Rudra and the LCH are the same helicopter.The LCH is a.k.a Rudra.

Personally I agree, but are they selling?
The unusual aircraft is not an UAV I guess. You can see that there is a pilot in the same in last pic. Image

I guess there is some confusion with names. Even I was thinking Rudra and LCH are different helicopters. If Iam not wrong LCH is the Apache lookalike developed for high altitude warfare after Kargil. Rudra I was thinking was ALH / Dhruv armed to the tooth. Rudra
Old 5th February 2013, 21:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, they aren't. The Rudra is nothing but a weaponised Mk.IV Dhruv ALH and hence its other monicker - Dhruv WSI(Weapons Systems Integrated).

The LCH has not been christened yet.

The Rudra has already got IOC and one of them will be handed over to the Indian Army Aviation Corps during the show. Think of the Dhruv as a mini Mi-24 with its troop carrying ability and its ability to provide Close air support to the ground troops with its front cannon and rockets/gunpods/AGMs. The LCH on the other hand is a dedicated attack chopper.

Quote:
This is what the Wing commander who was with us told me, even I was perplexed.
The F-16 variant is a Block 50 F-16CJ "Wild Weasel" (and its the the dedicated SEAD F-16 variant). The WW code with the yellow stripe on the tail fin means it belongs to the 14th Squadron "Samurais", 35th Fighter Wing, US Air Force and are based at Misawa AB, Japan(WW code with Red Stripe means it belongs to the aircraft belongs to the sister F-16CJ Squadron - 13th Sqdn "Panthers"). No way the aircraft is based in/belongs to France. May be the W/C confused the Rafale with the F-16CJ.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th February 2013 at 21:32.

Most Viewed