Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 13:02   #61
BHPian

Re: Aero India 2013 - Pictures

I am going there on Satureday, booked online for 1000/- ticket, hope to see few flying machines up, close & personal
Old 7th February 2013, 13:15   #62
BHPian

Since the deal is done, I am not expecting lot of fireworks as compared to the last time in 2011 but the presence of Russian Knights should cover for that. A colleague had been to Axis Bank - whitefield, waited for some 2 hours and returned empty handed. He said there is only one queue and it is very lengthy and the person at the counter needs to enter all the details in the computer and the process is taking about 20 minutes per customer. I suggest going to the bank early would be a better idea or may be trying a different bank as posted by mpksuhas and also to take print out of the ticket if registered on the aeroindia site. Things are the same even at the venue, people are still not sure at which gate tickets are available and where to park. I am posting a list of what to expect and what not to based on the various blogs I visited, please add to it if I have missed anything.

Main attraction :
Dassault Rafale
Sukhoi30
F-16
Tejas
C-17 Globemaster
Sarang team
Redbull team
Russian Knights
*Russian Knights have not made their presence felt yet, hope they show up by this weekend

Not Present this time :
F-18 Super Hornet
Gripen
Eurofighter Typhoon
Surya Kiran team
* The display by Surya Kiran will be missed

https://www.aeroindia.in/GeneralVisi...istration.aspx for Exhibition Area with Air Display and the price is 1000 rs for weekend i.e on 9th and 10th

https://www.aeroindia.in/GeneralVisi...istration.aspx for AVDA Area only ( not allowed for Exhibition Area ) and the price is 500 rs for weekend i.e on 9th and 10th
PS: I am not sure how the registration works on the aeroindia site, if anybody has tried please comment.

Link for Axis bank branches : https://www.aeroindia.in/AxisBankBranches.pdf
*Tickets for AVDA Area only are available at Axis Bank and not for both Exhibition Area and AVDA

At the venue, tickets are available at Gate 5 and parking is also allowed at Gate 5 ( is it only Gate 5 or can we park at other gates too ?? ) , Bhpians who have visited please confirm.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AxisBankBranches.pdf (35.1 KB, 367 views)
Old 7th February 2013, 13:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
@Skanchan 95, Alpha kilo, Sandy X, guys you were right. I was not aware of the Army mod of the Dhruv and thought that the LCH and the Rudra are the same. My mistake!

Seen the LCH in action though...pretty good it is!!

@vivekiny2k, it was more a case of a person thinking he knew!!, but didn't!!
@Neel, Can you brief on this?
Pic courtesy: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/vie...06206#p1406206

Old 7th February 2013, 13:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
https://www.aeroindia.in/GeneralVisi...istration.aspx for AVDA Area only ( not allowed for Exhibition Area ) and the price is 500 rs for weekend i.e on 9th and 10th
PS: I am not sure how the registration works on the aeroindia site, if anybody has tried please comment.
Well -- I think the link is closed now. But when it was open, it asked me to fill up details of the visitor (name/addr/etc etc) and charged 513/- to my credit card, returned a unique registration id.

Now I need some clarity on: should I just take a printout of the email to Gate 5 and get the tickets? Or should I take the printout to Axis bank to get the tickets (is that option available -- as I already paid)? If my only option to go to the venue directly: what time should I go -- at least an hour before?
Old 7th February 2013, 13:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

The parking is in different places for different kinds of tickets, from what I know, the gates which open towards the west of the Airbase (8,9 etc) are for air display viewing only, there is parking in the residential area of the airbase as well( gates 5,6 ?), after parking here the entry is through the underpass within the campus which goes underneath the BIA road.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The parking is in different places for different kinds of tickets, from what I know, the gates which open towards the west of the Airbase (8,9 etc) are for air display viewing only, there is parking in the residential area of the airbase as well( gates 5,6 ?), after parking here the entry is through the underpass within the campus which goes underneath the BIA road.
on my business invite it says park at Gate 5 and take the shuttle to the venue! it's one helluva walk from Gate 5 parking to the venue!

here is the layout of the various gates and entry points:

Aero India 2013 - Pictures-yelahanka_final.jpg

courtesy: www.aeroindia.in

Last edited by IronH4WK : 7th February 2013 at 13:56.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Or should I take the printout to Axis bank to get the tickets (is that option available -- as I already paid)? If my only option to go to the venue directly: what time should I go -- at least an hour before?
Yes just take a print out of the email having the unique registration id etc to the venue, Axis bank only gives tickets on paying by cash so I am guessing they will not hand over the tickets to you. And AFAIK there is no specific time to visit but my guess is there will be two slots for the Air Display, one is in the morning and one is in the afternoon ( can somebody confirm the timings ) so you can go anytime you want but its better you start early. The Gates will be flooded with people and cars, reaching the venue early is always better.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
on my business invite it says park at Gate 5 and take the shuttle to the venue! it's one helluva walk from Gate 5 parking to the venue!

here is the layout of the various gates and entry points:

Attachment 1048240

courtesy: www.aeroindia.in
By the way whats that "Hydrabad" ? Is it a place where Hydra 70 rockets are stored/manufactured? I know this time focus is on "Rudra" and LCH but this is little too much!!
Sorry for nitpicking!

Question for @sheelz and Neel385 -> Why is there no Taxi way "I", one sees only A-H and directly J. Any specific reason for it?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th February 2013 at 14:45.
Old 7th February 2013, 15:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed a long walk from the east campus to the Airbase itself, it's good that they have organised shuttles.

My advise to all who are going on the weekend and have to collect tickets at the venue:
1) reach as early as you can, the air display starts by 10.30 am in the morning and by 2.30 pm in the afternoon
2) The morning display is recommened, as it is relatively cooler and the crowds are still coming in
3) Take caps and sunglasses, I think they allow water bottles, so carry enough water.
4) cameras of all kinds are allowed
5) Be prepared to encounter heavy traffic right from Hebbal. The Expressway construction is not helping matters and there are plenty of bottlenecks caused due to it.
6) try to avoid taking little kids along, the poor kids can't bear the heat and crowds.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:28   #70

Quote:
The unusual aircraft is the Rustom UAV that is being developed by the DRDO.

Are you sure mate? The USAF does not generally operate from France and the French Air Force does not fly the F 16.

The Rudra and the LCH are the same helicopter.

The LCH is a.k.a Rudra. As far as the comparison with the Apache goes, the LCH is a Light Combat Helicopter as is not in the same aircraft class as the Apache so the comparison is perhaps not fair. However, if the DRDO is able to integrate the kind of avionics that it says it will into the machine, it will be quite capable for the role it was intended to fulfill.

Personally I agree, but are they selling?

Rudra and LCH are different helicopters. The only commonality is that both of them have been derived from Dhruv. To be a more specific Rudra is just a weaponised Dhruv with side by side sitting for pilots...wheras LCH is an attack helicopter with in tandom (one after another) sitting for pilots. You can refer to snaps....
Old 7th February 2013, 17:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
@Neel, Can you brief on this?
Pic courtesy: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/vie...06206#p1406206

This patch is generally worn by fighter aircrew who fly aerial refuelling capable aircraft. Whenever he connects to a aerial refuelling drogue (basket) of a tanker aircraft, his count increases by one and this way when he reaches 1000 mark or 1000 tonnes of fuel offtake in this case, he is entitled for this patch. Personally, I have lost count of how many I've done so far...

Cheres

Quote:
Why is there no Taxi way "I", one sees only A-H and directly J. Any specific reason for it?
Anywhere in the world you'll not see an 'I' or 'O' because it may confuse with 1 or 0(zero). Confusion in aviation is a big no-no. Hence the ommission.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th February 2013 at 17:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 7th February 2013, 23:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_2580 View Post
Rudra and LCH are different helicopters. The only commonality is that both of them have been derived from Dhruv. To be a more specific Rudra is just a weaponised Dhruv with side by side sitting for pilots...wheras LCH is an attack helicopter with in tandom (one after another) sitting for pilots. You can refer to snaps....
Mistake already accepted!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
This patch is generally worn by fighter aircrew who fly aerial refuelling capable aircraft. Whenever he connects to a aerial refuelling drogue (basket) of a tanker aircraft, his count increases by one and this way when he reaches 1000 mark or 1000 tonnes of fuel offtake in this case, he is entitled for this patch. Personally, I have lost count of how many I've done so far...

Cheres

Somehow, the "offtake" part has had me thinking. If it was for the guys the receiver, he should be the "intake" guy and not the "offtake" one.I think that it probably belongs to a tanker boom operator ( NATO/USAF KC 135 perhaps) and refers to the number of times that he has linked the boom to the receiving aircraft. But again in that case, how is he the "sucker"?
Old 8th February 2013, 12:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Cheres
Anywhere in the world you'll not see an 'I' or 'O' because it may confuse with 1 or 0(zero). Confusion in aviation is a big no-no. Hence the ommission.
Quote:
Somehow, the "offtake" part has had me thinking. If it was for the guys the receiver, he should be the "intake" guy and not the "offtake" one .I think that it probably belongs to a tanker boom operator ( NATO/USAF KC 135 perhaps) and refers to the number of times that he has linked the boom to the receiving aircraft. But again in that case, how is he the "sucker"?
Hey guys anyone went yesterday? Any more pics??

By the way why are there no pics of ISRO' GSLV mk. III and rest?
@1ronh4wk can you take some pics and updates on it when you visit?

OT:
@sheelz, thanks for the explanation on the taxiway markings.

Exactly Neel385, that's the same(part in bold) thing which caused me to think who is entitled to wear this patch in the first place.

That Patch I came to understand is worn (the Officer in the pic) by a "Rambha" Ace, hence I believe (well, of course! it comes from Horse's mouth! the fighter pilots of TBHP themselves talking ) that Sheelz's answer to the question is right. One can also see the SU in that patch.

By the way question to you both Ace's ->

1. Isn't the Air to air refuelling probe on MKI located on the left side? Why is the patch showing the connection to be on the right?
See:

2. why does one need this patch in the first place? Well, wouldn't it be better to show off with the ASTE or the TACDE patches? or even the flying hours patch (1000 hrs / 3000 hrs) and so on!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 8th February 2013 at 13:07.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:00   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Had been to the show on thursday. Excellent organisation, right from the traffic police, BMTC as well as the show itself. Gate 5 is quite far away from the entrance, however, there are plenty of buses(ten I think) to ferry people. They are very organised and will take you till the underpass. From there, it is another long walk. When parking your car, do park it towards the end of the lot, or on a grass patch, else you will return to see your car with a coat of sand on it. Not great news for detailing buffs.

Air display was not exciting as before, due to the abscence of surya kiran. What enthralls is the roar of the engines, especially for we petrolheads Red bull team did put a good show, but they aren't as organised as the suryakiran guys. Sukhoi impressed as usual with a free fall out of the sky.

Exhibition halls are more interesting, with lots of models, components on display. Static display is also good. There are some mighty trucks with missile launchers and radars on display. No pictures of the air display, as I had taken my Cybershot. Will post pictures soon.

Tickets are available on spot, at gate 5 parking. Did not see any stickered cars out there.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th February 2013 at 14:04.
Old 8th February 2013, 19:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:

1. Isn't the Air to air refuelling probe on MKI located on the left side? Why is the patch showing the connection to be on the right?

2. why does one need this patch in the first place? Well, wouldn't it be better to show off with the ASTE or the TACDE patches? or even the flying hours patch (1000 hrs / 3000 hrs) and so on!
Ans 1 : That correct. That patch may have been exchanged with other airforce's pilots. Thats a common thing in joint excercises.

Ans 2 : Well, he must be wearing other patches also. just that that pic showed that one only.

OT: I got an infraction for trying to explain a genuine doubt about 'contacts'. And you kidding me, infraction for a wrong spelling...

Most Viewed