Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 00:45   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Work-From-Home" days coming to an end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Kids are definitely a big factor, however. Unless you have somebody to manage them full-time, I would not recommend trying to work while having to keep an eye on a restless toddler!
From my experience with my two kids, only toddlers (2 to 3 year olds) seem to be productivity killers. Infants (1 to 2 yr olds) don't have enough mobility to bother you much.

Older kids generally keep to themselves. A rare intrusion by slightly older kids is actually a good thing.

It's only the 2 to 3 year olds that insist on sitting on your lap and even fiddle with the keyboard/mouse !
Old 17th May 2017, 14:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Distracted by your colleagues chattering loudly amongst themselves, keyboard clicking noises, calls taken from their desks etc.

Your choice whether a well optimized work environment at your home (where you're available at odd hours without any issues) is less or more damaging to productivity than an open plan cube farm.
I completely agree with the above. I find office more distracting as we are always surrounded by noise. IT offices have become over crowded. I am able to think more efficiently when I am at home as there is no one to disturb your train of thoughts. It has really become a challenge and If IT companies cannot acquire more space they should ask the people to wfh.

Personally, I accomplish more work when I am at home.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:59   #48
BHPian

I go to office only when I am participating in meetings that require my presence. Otherwise, I find I complete far more at home rather than in office. I usually find office too distracting, with people talking louder than their normal voices on phone or among themselves(usually nothing important). Feels like they are trying to act important?!

I agree, there are people who misuse, but that is not a problem with the policy itself. I know my important timings, and I make sure I am available at my home desk during that period. As mentioned previously, if you treat WFH as a holiday, you are a slacker.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

IBM have officially asked its remote (WFH) employees to report back to work at their original office locations. The penalty for non compliance is that they would be let go.

Quote:
Here's the corporate explanation:

"In many fields, such as software development and digital marketing, the nature of work is changing, which requires new ways of working. We are bringing small, self-directed agile teams in these fields together."
Source is INC

Most Viewed