Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 17:04   #1
BHPian

Kingfisher Airlines "No refund for Cancelled flights" Scam

Dear Fellow Members,

I had booked a return ticket for my wife on Kingfisher flight (Mumbai - Chandigarh) and the travel was to be undertaken in October & November (To & Fro) 2012. I had booked these tickets some time in early September.

The airline then got into trouble and they informed me over mail that the said flights are cancelled. I had already booked her on some other carrier, so the travel plans did not get hampered.

However, inspite of various mails and phone calls to the Kingfisher Airline, they have not yet refunded my 8293 Rs/- for the tickets. They kept assuring me on phone calls that settlements would start happening soon etc. etc.

Now since last 2-3 weeks, even their phone nos. are not working.

I know the usual routes of consumer courts etc; but i want your opinion on whether there is any other way through which i can raise the matter (Some ombudsman etc.).
Also if I have to go to consumer courts, what are the things to keep in mind and has anyone seen any success with these courts?

Any other suggestion would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Rohit
Old 31st March 2013, 18:39   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Kingfisher Airlines "No refund for Cancelled flights" Scam

Looks like a bad debt scenario - I would suggest that you file a case with consumer court and then maybe once they start paying people back (after they go into liquidation etc), you might get your money back along with some damages.
Consider also that filing a case doesn't come free, so you just might be throwing good money after bad, because it may take ages and ages and ages for your case to come up!
Old 31st March 2013, 22:54   #3
BHPian

I know, expecting those people, who have not paid salaries to staff for 7 months, to actually call me and ask me for my postal address for mailing the cheque is a long shot. But again as you said, filing a case is also not an easy option.

Aren't there any Ombudsman etc. like Banking?
Old 31st March 2013, 23:08   #4
BHPian

Consumer courts seem to be your best bet, however, as already pointed out - you may end up spending precious time, effort & money (perhaps more than the cost of the ticket) to pursue this option!
Old 31st March 2013, 23:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try writing to some newspapers, they might do a story with suggestions on what options the consumer has in such cases!
Old 1st April 2013, 00:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Try writing to some newspapers, they might do a story with suggestions on what options the consumer has in such cases!
Any idea how does one approach these papers? Mumbai mirror or mid day types?
Old 1st April 2013, 01:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

The Titanic has hit the iceberg, taking in water and sinking. People are dying out there and the ship will be at the bottom of the ocean soon. No point talking to the captain about your lost luggage in this situation.

Forget the amount. Don't bother with consumer courts either - it's not that Kingfisher doesn't want to pay. They simply have no money in the bank to do that.

You knew Kingfisher was in trouble in Oct 2012, but you still went ahead and booked a ticket. Key takeaway from this incident: Do not use the services of an airline (or any other product/service company) that is in financial trouble.
Old 1st April 2013, 07:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is not a scam. It is the reality. KFA has zero cash balance to even print its tickets. Forget about getting a refund. It also enjoys a reputation of not depositing even the Tax deducted from employee salaries, which is a statutory obligation.

Unless the liquor baron, diverts some cash from selling bottles to the aviation wing, you would have to write of that amount for good. Sad but true!
Old 1st April 2013, 08:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

What a surprise: People are still using Kingfisher!!

Consumer court is your best option. The fees won't be as high as a normal court. In fact if you have all the documentation related to the claim with you, you may not even need to hire a lawyer.

With the company going belly up, however, there's a fat (or slim) chance of you getting your refund ahead of everyone else, so please write it off as investment towards a good learning. Who knows, the consumer court may award you damages and refund faster than the banks can force KF to cough up their dues.

In short: There's virtually no guarantee you will get a refund, but there's no harm in filing a case in the consumer court.
Old 1st April 2013, 09:23   #10
BHPian

If there are two airlines one must avoid then it ought to be Air India and Kingfisher. You never know when or if your flight is going to take off, or get cancelled due to strikes, problems, or just plain pilot lethargy. And you very well know about Kingfisher.

I'm afraid it's money lost forever.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:10   #11
BHPian

There is one thing you can try:
Go to the Kingfisher office, find the manager's desk, and sit down there. Explain your plight to him, and refuse to get up till the money is refunded.

Almost all airline offices are capable of booking/canceling/refunding tickets so there is a chance that this might work.

Assuming, of course, that you can find an open Kingfisher office.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Aren't there any Ombudsman etc. like Banking?
Approach Fight Back of UTV Bloomberg.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:14   #13
BHPian

On a similar note, how will RCB backed by VJM be able to pay the players?

When they haven't paid salaries for their own employees, how is that they are able to run this franchisee and without any issues.

Aren't their employees protesting against RCB XI?
Old 1st April 2013, 17:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
On a similar note, how will RCB backed by VJM be able to pay the players?

When they haven't paid salaries for their own employees, how is that they are able to run this franchisee and without any issues.

Aren't their employees protesting against RCB XI?
They are planning for that. The KF Airlines' employees had threatened a few days back that they will pose issues in all the matches where RCB is involved.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Any other suggestion would be most welcome.
You can try this avenue too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...me-you-do.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed