Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 16:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Dilemma : Employer fixing marketing stickers on my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I really do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I also think so. Looks like now a days people are looking for a reason to get pissed off.What is the approximate size of this sticker?
Old 4th April 2013, 16:41   #32
BHPian

re: Dilemma : Employer fixing marketing stickers on my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
[/i]EDIT: Is there a profession where one cannot be associated with any brand, NGO? Lawyer? or some other never heard of profession?
Yes there is. You can tell them your brother is a politician/MLA/MP/IAS/IRS/PSU/Govt employee and he takes your car to his office. If anyone catches him with the sticker there can be allegations of corruption between the company and your brother and both of them can get into trouble considering the current atmosphere where everyone is being accused of being hand in glove with companies and giving undue favors for bribes and gifts.

I am sure if you sound serious enough and tell this with a straight face, they might relent considering the company can get into trouble too.

Best of Luck
Old 4th April 2013, 17:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma : Employer fixing marketing stickers on my car!

For using the parking lot of the company one needs to put a sticker (but not multiple of them). Most companies do not even put up there logo, in order not to disclose which company's car is it.

My advise is to change your job. I seriously do not like to be associated with such bunch of folks and would rather stay away from them.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Your company is providing you parking and the stickering is only to ensure that this facility is not misused. What is the big deal with leaving a sticker on your windshield?
Did you not just read what I had to say in the first post?! The parking sticker was already there, in the name of security they are using their employee's cars for marketing purposes. If you are seriously saying that having an additional sticker means foolproof security, you've got to be kidding me!

If you read the post carefully you'd realize that admin people have themselves said that its for branding/marketing purpose however their head only went ahead and added the security angle. If I was keen on security I'd rather come up with something like secure stickers (like we have number plates) with some unique hologram or something, may be a password that gets generated and sent to every employee's mobile and mailbox every morning, additional stickers are just crappy ways of marketing, specially when they themselves agree to the branding part.

The only big deal about it is that I don't like it, please don't tell me what I should like and what I shouldn't. If it wasn't that big a deal I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place, peace out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I also think so. Looks like now a days people are looking for a reason to get pissed off.What is the approximate size of this sticker?
Not really but posts like these definitely piss me off. I'm asking for a solution to a problem that is problematic to me, just because it isn't to you doesn't mean you start generalizing and judging people. I would've loved to share the exact dimensions if you really had something to contribute, not when I know that after sharing the dimensions your next response would be that I think people these days are not aware of the exact size of the sticker which should initiate the pissing off process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Yes there is. You can tell them your brother is a politician/MLA/MP/IAS/IRS/PSU/Govt employee and he takes your car to his office. If anyone catches him with the sticker there can be allegations of corruption between the company and your brother and both of them can get into trouble considering the current atmosphere where everyone is being accused of being hand in glove with companies and giving undue favors for bribes and gifts.
I wish I would've waited for this response as it sounded more genuine than the story I made up, however, my father works for a PSU and I think I can add that to my already made up story, many thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
My advise is to change your job. I seriously do not like to be associated with such bunch of folks and would rather stay away from them.
I joined this company 7 months ago, 5 more months and my resume would be out. Now this decision was taken within the second month of my joining for other reasons but incidents like these only make my decision stronger.

Update on the story I made up: My brother works in the support team for a motorsport event where in he's out with the car every other week for some field related activity and the only stickers he should be sporting are of the sponsors.

I called up the admin head and requested him that since this is the case, I would rather have the stickers displayed from within inside the car (of course I made the story a little more complicated than what it sounds like now) and surprisingly he agreed!

I've sent him another mail, much more polite and humble one this time, only waiting him to revert with the confirmation.

Of course now I have to think where do I keep that ugly looking sticker at the back because I don't have a rear tray, just an amp and a sub in the boot.
Old 5th April 2013, 07:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you not just read what I had to say in the first post?! The parking sticker was already there, in the name of security they are using their employee's cars for marketing purposes. If you are seriously saying that having an additional sticker means foolproof security, you've got to be kidding me!
That wasn't very clear from your opening post. So you have one sticker in front and they are insisting on another on the back, a much bigger one with very obvious branding. Got it now.
Quote:
If you read the post carefully you'd realize that admin people have themselves said that its for branding/marketing purpose however their head only went ahead and added the security angle. If I was keen on security I'd rather come up with something like secure stickers (like we have number plates) with some unique hologram or something, may be a password that gets generated and sent to every employee's mobile and mailbox every morning, additional stickers are just crappy ways of marketing, specially when they themselves agree to the branding part.
Actually I didn't mention security. Just said that the facility may be misused by some people. For example, people from neighbouring offices or visiting some place nearby using the parking.
Quote:
The only big deal about it is that I don't like it, please don't tell me what I should like and what I shouldn't. If it wasn't that big a deal I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place, peace out!
I said I thought you were making a mountain out of a molehill. That's not the same as telling you what you should and shouldn't like. If you can't stomach a contrary opinion expressed in an inoffensive manner, perhaps you shouldn't start threads in a forum in the first place.

Quote:
Not really but posts like these definitely piss me off. I'm asking for a solution to a problem that is problematic to me, just because it isn't to you doesn't mean you start generalizing and judging people. I would've loved to share the exact dimensions if you really had something to contribute, not when I know that after sharing the dimensions your next response would be that I think people these days are not aware of the exact size of the sticker which should initiate the pissing off process.
That wasn't directed at me but just so you know, it's the kind of reply that tees off people. The problem you have mentioned is trivial by most people's standards, compared to say not having a convenient means of commuting to office at all, or doing so in sub-human conditions. My company provides covered, secured parking at a fee despite having an efficient private mass transit system in place and I do appreciate it. Agreed it is a problem for you from an aesthetic point of view or otherwise but please don't expect everyone to be jumping up in support of your cause.
Old 5th April 2013, 07:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

1. Get it removed immediately after reaching home. There is a max number of tries they can do too before they get fed up and stop. (Remember the paan spitting guy from Lagey Raho Munnabhai?)

2. Get many of your friends from various other organisations to write separate emails to your VP-Admin telling that they saw a car with the company's logo sticker on the rear windscreen breaking traffic rules.(Different car type everytime) And they have written to the traffic commissioner about the lawless nature of your company's employees.

That should get them to worry about negative publicity and remove the stickers.

Last edited by hrman : 5th April 2013 at 08:06.
Old 5th April 2013, 08:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, if a discussion on a car sticker is making a mountain out of a molehill, would discussing a discussion on a sticker be making a molehill on top of the mountain made out of the molehill?!

I just thought that if the mods think that a thread is irrelevant, don't they simply delete it? If it's not deleted yet, and if I personally don't think the thread is relevant, then shouldn't I just ignore the thread? Just my 2 cents.

(Please note: not pointing to anyone specifically, I've deliberately not quoted anyone's posts here.)

And personally, I too find people sticking stuff on my vehicles pretty irritating and am glad for some of the suggestions on this thread.

IMHO, no company's doing me a favour by providing parking for employees. Strictly speaking, shouldn't all office complexes provide sufficient parking, by regulations? Sure, I'm ready to co-operate in the interests of security. It's in my vehicle's interest that non-company vehicles are not allowed in the same parking. But HR or Admin using my vehicle as a brand promotion platform, without even asking me first, sorry no.

Last edited by am1m : 5th April 2013 at 08:51. Reason: Adding some more info
Old 5th April 2013, 09:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, sticking unwanted stickers on your vehicles is irritating to most of us who love our cars. To that much I agree with the OP.

But I don't like his use of words and his reluctance to hear contrasting views. That's what open forums are all about.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
I am following this thread from the sheer awe at this organization's audacity and blatant disrespect for an individual's freedom.

This is the first I've ever heard a company force itself upon an employee in this fashion.
This, a 1000 times this.
I'm pretty sure there are laws against this somewhere.
That apart, just keep removing it, and let them keep putting it back on. They will get the hint eventually :-p

PS: I also like the idea someone mentioned to add a sticker saying " I worked at xyz for 5 years and all I got was this retarded sticker" with an arrow pointing to it. Mocking it or making a joke of it will probably serve to make your point.

Last edited by Anghammarad : 5th April 2013 at 09:21.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
2. Get many of your friends from various other organisations to write separate emails to your VP-Admin telling that they saw a car with the company's logo sticker on the rear windscreen breaking traffic rules.(Different car type everytime) And they have written to the traffic commissioner about the lawless nature of your company's employees.
Goood Idea !

Should we start now ? may be start making calls too ?
Old 5th April 2013, 09:33   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys for some wonderful and some really wacky ideas but I'm still not sure whether I've got the answer that I was looking for.
So you have emails from the top management of your company asking you to stick branded poster on the rear 'glass' of the car?

Isn't that direct contempt of court orders by your company, and its top management? And not just any court - but the supreme court of India?

Quote:
The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary, Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction.
I know lot of us may not agree with the above ruling on sunfilms, but the same rule puts a blanket ban on any material being pasted on the windscreens. Hope this helps.

PS: I have not gone through all the posts in the thread. Apologize if this has been discussed earlier?
Old 5th April 2013, 09:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I just thought that if the mods think that a thread is irrelevant, don't they simply delete it? If it's not deleted yet, and if I personally don't think the thread is relevant, then shouldn't I just ignore the thread? Just my 2 cents.
Errr...when did I say the thread is irrelevant? I am still posting here aren't I?

By your standard, anyone who does not agree or has a contrary opinion to a thread starter should simply desist from posting on the thread. That defeats the very idea of a forum where things are discussed and debated. And yes, "mods" are members too and entitled to opinions!

Quote:
And personally, I too find people sticking stuff on my vehicles pretty irritating and am glad for some of the suggestions on this thread.
Good for you. Please use them then.

Quote:
IMHO, no company's doing me a favour by providing parking for employees. Strictly speaking, shouldn't all office complexes provide sufficient parking, by regulations?
I respect your opinion on this but believe that parking, like driving is a privilege and not a right. Anyway I was speaking about my specific company's case where despite providing convenient bus service for employees, there is still a high-capacity parking lot that those of us who drive can use.

Quote:
Sure, I'm ready to co-operate in the interests of security. It's in my vehicle's interest that non-company vehicles are not allowed in the same parking. But HR or Admin using my vehicle as a brand promotion platform, without even asking me first, sorry no.
I don't like the idea of random stuff being stuck on my car without my permission either. But that is not the debate here. If the security/admin had politely handed it over to OP and told him to stick it (no pun intended ) would he have complied? I guess not. I would have,in the interest of "reasonableness". That's what we are discussing here.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get an email back that its for branding purpose and how its a direction from the top management
The company name will be noticed by a very small percentage of fellow road users & probably your neighbours. Is that intended audience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
What is the approximate size of this sticker?
Yes, wanted to know the size of the sticker of this branding campaign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't that direct contempt of court orders by your company, and its top management? And not just any court - but the supreme court of India?
True, from RTO point of view, any sticker on glass illegal. In fact hanging any object from rear-view mirror is not recommended, since it is distraction to the driver.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:55   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, "mods" are members too and entitled to opinions!
Errr...when did I say/imply that I thought otherwise?

Quote:
By your standard, anyone who does not agree or has a contrary opinion to a thread starter should simply desist from posting on the thread.
Nopes, what I meant was that it would help avoid discussions like this one.

Quote:
Good for you. Please use them then.
Thank you. I shall.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of random stuff being stuck on my car without my permission either.
I thought the very first line in the very first post implied that they didn't ask the OP first.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
And yes, "mods" are members too and entitled to opinions!
Yes indeed. And I like the way you, a mod, is speaking without using a dictatorial approach.

So many forums have the mods blanking out critical comments in the name of forum rules while the reality is they feel corrupted with the power of being a mod forgetting the meaning of the word 'moderator' itself.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of random stuff being stuck on my car without my permission either. But that is not the debate here. If the security/admin had politely handed it over to OP and told him to stick it (no pun intended ) would he have complied? I guess not. I would have,in the interest of "reasonableness".
Maybe he would still not have liked the idea but that would have been a much much more polite and respectful way to behave towards an employee and so naturally he would not have been ' as pissed off ' as he is now.

From where I come from, I can totally understand his predicament. Companies do not own people, they pay salaries in return for getting a particular job done.

This could have been handled in a much better way if the management had stated their position/concerns in a meeting. Presents an opportunity for all to present their views which may or may not be heard, but it still gives them a say.

Note: Had seen this thread yesterday and had wracked my brains out for a solution but sadly none to help the thread starter out and so no previous posts. But frankly i have a very strong feeling regarding the whole issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks