Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 11:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Dilemma : Employer fixing marketing stickers on my car!

If the sticker is blocking your windscreen to a reasonable extent, then get a traffic violation challan from a police officer you know for violating the supreme court ban on affixing anything on the car windows. Send this challan to your admin guy and ask him to pay up the fine saying you are not going to take responsibility of the issue
Old 5th April 2013, 11:30   #47
BHPian

Expect bouquets and brickbats alike, when you go public. So chill.

To your original issue - a car is a private property and you can't use it for advertising, unless and until it's agreed by the owner. You can file a civil case against this company. But of course be prepared to face the heat from within the company. Also file another contempt of court order, as quoted by CrAzY dRiVeR.

If taking the company head on, is not an option for you, try the convincing route. It's anybody's guess as to what will convince the admin guys, especially after you have clearly indicated your displeasure in not having them on your car. You can keep removing the stickers, as they paste them. Yes. agreed that this is painful, but then if your options are limited, this seems the most logical way to proceed ahead.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
From where I come from, I can totally understand his predicament. Companies do not own people, they pay salaries in return for getting a particular job done.
And the employees are also free to leave the firm if they do not accept the terms & conditions of hiring as well as the company's ever changing policies.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I said I thought you were making a mountain out of a molehill. That's not the same as telling you what you should and shouldn't like. If you can't stomach a contrary opinion expressed in an inoffensive manner, perhaps you shouldn't start threads in a forum in the first place.

That wasn't directed at me but just so you know, it's the kind of reply that tees off people. The problem you have mentioned is trivial by most people's standards, compared to say not having a convenient means of commuting to office at all, or doing so in sub-human conditions. My company provides covered, secured parking at a fee despite having an efficient private mass transit system in place and I do appreciate it. Agreed it is a problem for you from an aesthetic point of view or otherwise but please don't expect everyone to be jumping up in support of your cause.
1. Just so that I understand you clearly, if I see a thread in the ICE section stating that there's hissing noise even on zero volume or mute then following replies are totally ok -
(a) I really think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Revv the car more, open the windows, or do something that mellows down the hiss. I'm sure this isn't that big a deal.
(b) I think these days people are only looking at finding faults of aftermarket ICE installations. What is the decibel level of this hiss?

2. I'm not "most people", I'm just me. I have this issue and its problematic to me. Simply saying that it isn't a big deal hasn't helped me at all. Honestly, I wasn't asking for views whether this is ok or not. I was looking for a solution stating that this "not a big deal" is a problem for me. You on the other hand said that this shouldn't be a problem, how does that help? However, since this is a public forum people obviously have the right to express their views, which might not be remotely helpful but then, what can I do.

3. While some threads are opened with the intention of seeking public opinion, others are started purely from a solution perspective. However, I've learned that giving opinions about how the problem shouldn't be problematic is acceptable here. It might not add value to the thread but then its an opinion, noted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
2. Get many of your friends from various other organisations to write separate emails to your VP-Admin telling that they saw a car with the company's logo sticker on the rear windscreen breaking traffic rules.(Different car type everytime) And they have written to the traffic commissioner about the lawless nature of your company's employees.

That should get them to worry about negative publicity and remove the stickers.
This looks like another wonderfully thought of alternate, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, wanted to know the size of the sticker of this branding campaign.
True, from RTO point of view, any sticker on glass illegal. In fact hanging any object from rear-view mirror is not recommended, since it is distraction to the driver.
The sticker is about 1.5 times longer than our LTD sticker and about the same height. However, its pure white in colour and stands out. The sticker is not just one piece however when they paste it different letters get pasted as small stickers, all the more irritating if one has to take it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
If the sticker is blocking your windscreen to a reasonable extent, then get a traffic violation challan from a police officer you know for violating the supreme court ban on affixing anything on the car windows. Send this challan to your admin guy and ask him to pay up the fine saying you are not going to take responsibility of the issue
I might not use this but definitely check up whether something like this is feasible, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
If taking the company head on, is not an option for you, try the convincing route. It's anybody's guess as to what will convince the admin guys, especially after you have clearly indicated your displeasure in not having them on your car. You can keep removing the stickers, as they paste them. Yes. agreed that this is painful, but then if your options are limited, this seems the most logical way to proceed ahead.
I don't want to take them head-on because this was the brainchild of our President (Corp affairs)/COO and I'm sure he has the necessary power to bury me deep.

Second update though: Following one of the suggestions I sent another mail to the Admin head that since my father works for a PSU (which he does and that is in office records also) it might become an issue if he sports a company name sticker while he works for the govt. Had put in all the masala about how the atmosphere is these days / bribery etc. Waiting for a confirmation from him though.

I may not share the company name now but once I'm out of it, will definitely do so.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

I may not share the company name now but once I'm out of it, will definitely do so.
And suppose this thread pops up while your admins or even CEO does another search? I'm sure they wont be happy to have you employed there anymore. Your identity anyways wont be hard to uncover.

Those who want the company name, you can always sent a PM.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th April 2013 at 12:13.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:57   #51
BHPian

I empathise with you. Even I hate it when somebody puts a sticker on my car 'without my consent'. I have 4-5 T-bhp stickers on my car because I wanted to put them and it should in no way signal to others that they are free to promote their brands through my car. I always ensure that the service center guys don't put the sticker and if they do, I ensure that they remove it.

Since you do not want to endorse your company's brand through your car, you might want to start exploring other possible job opportunities. While you are absolutely correct at your point and your escalating the issue to the admin and leadership team repetitively is understood. I think you run the risk of being termed uncooperative, lacking team spirit, etc during your reviews.

If you like your job (besides the sticker issue), then my suggestion will be: just let the sticker be there for some time (2-3 months) and then remove it. No one will notice it. Try and understand, your co's president is all gung ho about this initiative and the admin team will go out of its way to prove their commitment to him/co. They must have spent some money out of their marketing budget on printing the stickers so, they wouldn't let this fail so easily. However, these initiatives have no measurable ROI so, your co's President will loose track of it sooner than later. Just play along for some time and remove it when they are busy executing some other 'great' idea.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And suppose this thread pops up while your admins or even CEO does another search? I'm sure they wont be happy to have you employed there anymore. Your identity anyways wont be hard to uncover.

Those who want the company name, you can always sent a PM.
I meant when I leave the company, but on second thoughts I reckon its a small world, the same sorry faces might be sitting on top me in another company as well.

Having said that, this thread gave me some really wicked & genuine (or at least genuine sounding) ideas that I may be able to use in future or help someone else with.

Kudos to the forum!

@noopster & @poloman: My posts didn't sound that polite, I agree, sorry, no hard feelings I hope. But this issue really got on my nerves, I love my car and I know how hard I try to keep it however clean & good looking I can in a city like Delhi. Looks are subjective and these stickers just spoil it for me.

EDIT: @biraj: What you say makes sense, specially the part where admin team would try to prove itself by ensuring 100% implementation (now that I recall my call with the admin head, he explicitly mentioned how this initiative is getting supervised at president level). I've made up whatever story I could, if it works nothing like it. If it doesn't, I'll live with it till the time I can remove it again without them noticing, thanks!

Last edited by fine69 : 5th April 2013 at 13:11.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:33   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Try and understand, your co's president is all gung ho about this initiative and the admin team will go out of its way to prove their commitment to him/co. They must have spent some money out of their marketing budget on printing the stickers so, they wouldn't let this fail so easily. .. Just play along for some time and remove it when they are busy executing some other 'great' idea.
Nice take on the situation. Yes, someone's Ego is at stake ..
Old 5th April 2013, 14:46   #54
BHPian

This thread has really got into my head. I also don't like dealers/service centers putting up stickers on my car without taking my permission. Whenever I give my vehicle for servicing, I explicitly tell the service manager not to put up any sticker. But sometimes, I forget and they promptly put up one. Okay, I did some research and found this website http://www.ascionline.org/index.php/asci-about ... I haven't found any code describing about advertising on private vehicles but I guess one can raise a complaint with them to see if they can respond with any suggestions.
Old 5th April 2013, 16:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

@fine69, I hope none of the Admin/mgmt folks in your org are following this thread. Like someone else mentioned a few posts earlier, a few hurt egos might be involved and if they wield enough power, might not be a good thing. Ofcourse the max they can do is fire you, but is all this worth it is the question ?

Personally I hate stickers on my car and have removed all the dealer stickers and during service tell them not to stick any. The only stickers I have now are 7 tbhp stickers and the company's 3-inch dia circular sticker which is for access to the facility. Though it is not enforced, I put them up because I like the association with the org (like with tbhp).

If it is a company policy, abide by it. If you cannot, they have given you a fair option - park outside.
Old 5th April 2013, 17:06   #56
BHPian

Is it a parking sticker they are giving you or a branding one ?

No company has rights on the employees car unless its owned by the company and given to you for use.
Old 5th April 2013, 18:44   #57
BHPian

tell them its your personal / family car and do not entertain any company branding on it!

If they are so strict on sticking company sticker, asked them either gift a car (you will put all possible stickers on it to help company branding) or pay all your car maintenance bills.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:33   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69

@noopster & @poloman: My posts didn't sound that polite, I agree, sorry, no hard feelings I hope. But this issue really got on my nerves, I love my car and I know how hard I try to keep it however clean & good looking I can in a city like Delhi. Looks are subjective and these stickers just spoil it for me.
No offence taken. We all love our cars and can be very possessive about them. Please keep us posted on developments.
Old 6th April 2013, 15:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Fine69 - I totally agree with your sense of irritation. I would have been upset if the same had happened to me, and I also think that you have done your best in resolving this issue so far. Perhaps the sticker stuck on the inside for some time may be the best compromise solution for now. I feel however that the organization has shown blatant disregard for its employees, treating them with a very condescending attitude. Would suggest you have a informal conversation with the management, and explain that the approach will only have a negative impact. Stickering their employees's rides compulsorily, for brand promotion is cheap, period. IF they still don't comprehend, then you might have to swallow your pride and tolerate the sticker till you're there. But start looking for a job soon.

Noopster, I think Fine69 had explained the sticker on the front screen being for parking and the rear one for brand promotion very explicitly. Perhaps you misread it. But don't give him grief for that. And please lets stop discussing he said this and he said that.

No offence intended to anyone here.

Most Viewed