Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 19:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Pardon my temerity to wake you guys up from your dreams but these lists are mostly useless :( I am already through with all this rigmarole. I keep getting 100s of calls everyday on every possible thing on sale anywhere on earth. At worst of the moments. In fact recently I had a major flare up with ICICI people after I got majorly irritated. It turns out that when you register on their site the calls from their banks do stop. But then the actual problem is not with these banks. Those pestering calls originate from the DMAs... They are the actual pain. The bank raised its hands and said forget DMAs they are not even responsible if I get a call from a different division of ICICI.

The second part of the story is that I chased a few of these DMAs. Everytime I call them back and tell them that I am on a DNC registry of their bank and they are not supposed to call they tell you with impunity that they do not know about any such registry and are not tied down by any such registry either.

I am now going to try the Hutch DNC... probably they will solve some part of my problem. The other part about getting continuous calls on my office landline will have to remain for the time being, I guess.
Old 24th May 2006, 20:08   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
For all the Hutch users ... type DND and sms it to 123, you will get an acknowledgment

Thats it ... it takes a while but all those irritating msges and calls disappear
Welll aZa... bad news for you. Even that Hutch DND is not so magical afterall. I just talked to them. They say they can only ensure that you do not get calls or messages from Hutch or any other hutch number. But beyond that they are helpless.
Old 24th May 2006, 22:58   #18
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Zappo : i agree to that, i still get calls from IDEA / Airtel DSA's selling me cheap post paid schemes and sh|T. But after sending this DND sms the multitude of Hutch GPRS/WAP sms's to download this or that or this or that and other advertisements from hutch, all thats stopped. i must say idea/airtel dsa calls have reduced too
Old 25th May 2006, 04:43   #19
BHPian

Hope it does help dude. I'm really sick of the #%&# calling at ungodly hours.
Old 26th February 2007, 20:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do not call registry

After all those irritating calls from the telemarketers was on the lookout for an online do not call registry,I came across this site which has quite a few links[scroll to the bottom of the page as well for updates],However team-bhpians could add to the list on this thread ,especially could someone tell how to add to airtel's[both landline as well as mobile] do not call registry for both Pune and bangalore[and rest of the cities in India too]

Do not call registry.
Old 26th February 2007, 20:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

ABMAmro has no call registry link on their homepage. Welcome to ABN AMRO India
Old 25th May 2007, 01:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here is fantastic website with link to almost all banks/telephone companies

Dot Not Disturb / Call Registry of India
Old 25th May 2007, 01:28   #23
Team-BHP Support

Actually these individual DNC registries are of no use. I have spent frigging enormous amount of time registering myself in every possible DNC. Does not help. Now I am waiting for the national DNC registry to start which the government plans to implenment soon. Last I heard its in the final stages of touchup. That should work.
Old 25th May 2007, 01:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
A Thousand Thank you's !
a la mind your language ranjit singh style ?

whatever you do, there will be a way for them to find your number & call you. I have a DND number from airtel & was extremely happy for the same. A few weeks back i had given an ad in free ads to sell some old stuff with my contact number. i was flooded with calls from banks offering me one time opportunities.
Old 25th May 2007, 06:32   #25
BHPian

With the kind of Data security in check in our Domestic banks, i really doubt the authenticity of these DNC's. Saw in the news a couple of months back that the database of existing customers was easily traded between DSA's.

If one registers for DNC for a particular bank, it may so happen that THAT bank doesnt call you up, it may very well happen that the data that is collected while signing up for the DNC can be shared by other banks/DSA's to call customers.

It kind of makes me think WHY do banks need our names along with our numbers to add us to their DNC's, simple mobile number should be good enough. Unless they are using their DNC list as a lead generator to generate more leads to bug.

Here's what i do, when i register to any DNC list, i put in my mobile number, but in the name section i use a false name. If i get a call from a telemarketer who addresses me by the false name, i know where they got my number from.

Also these telemarketing companies get their leads from various places. One of the most common places is the suggestion/comment/competition forms that we are asked to fill up every now and then. These can be the one's that are given to us in petrol pumps, shopping malls etc. Be very careful when you give your number in any of these as you can be sure that this data will be used to bug you in future.

My 2 cents.
Regards
Old 25th May 2007, 07:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
With the kind of Data security in check in our Domestic banks, i really doubt the authenticity of these DNC's. Saw in the news a couple of months back that the database of existing customers was easily traded between DSA's.

If one registers for DNC for a particular bank, it may so happen that THAT bank doesnt call you up, it may very well happen that the data that is collected while signing up for the DNC can be shared by other banks/DSA's to call customers.

It kind of makes me think WHY do banks need our names along with our numbers to add us to their DNC's, simple mobile number should be good enough. Unless they are using their DNC list as a lead generator to generate more leads to bug.

Exactly my thoughts.

Why should i give so much of personal information to register on the Do not call register for each and every bank or whatever it is ?

Transferring funds to a Third party on the net is simpler and fewer questions (no questions by some banks) are asked.

Why not they simply send an sms with a secret(?) alphanumeric code to the registered mobile number (similar to what most banks do for registering a third party in your account) and re-confirming the same via the net. I think this would be simpler.

And i think there is an ombudsman for this
Old 25th May 2007, 11:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have a different kind of problem.
I get called ans SMSed by my service provider, Idea. All of them are either about some better coverage in some area, and about ringtones, contests. The calls i receive is an IVR asking for Ringtones download. In total about 2 calls and 5-6 sms per day.
Any way to turn these off?

EDIT: Got it. I think this link should work: http://www.ideacellular.com/IDEA.por...e_DoNotDisturb

Last edited by DCEite : 25th May 2007 at 11:23.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

THanks DCEite. IDEA is one big headache, when it comes to spam SMSs.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:51   #29
BHPian

Still not effective, registered a Year back on ICICI, People still call- The bank says they are DSA and not Bank so we have no control..! I'm sure with the New System coming of a Special Number series for Tele-Marketing calls we can avoid the Calls alltogether..!

Infact with Idea, I registered at the same time- No SMS or Mkt calls.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th May 2007 at 19:52.
Old 26th May 2007, 11:34   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This may not be feasible for everyone, but heres what I do. Keep a separate cell for all professional commitments (work, bookings, purchases etc.) An overwhelming majority of the marketing calls only come on the work cell, which is anyways switched off during non-work hours. At most times, I just transfer it to my board line and calls get filtered automatically.

My personal cell : Hardly any marketing calls since I dont give out the number to any commercial organisation.

Most Viewed