Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 19:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Seating Luxury....

Feedback I have got about OSIM has been positive. The music-enabled massage didnt seem very distinct, but check if you find it good.

Panasonic also had something similar, but did not seem that good.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:12   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Seating Luxury & Massage Chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A bean bag? I have two and they are immensely comfortable!
I have seen bean bags for for more than 10 years but had never sat on them. Looking at them, they never looked comfortable. But I sat on them for the first time few weeks back & It was far more comfortable than I thought. I think it should be OK even to sit with a laptop on a bean bag and work - that's the feeling I got sitting on it for a short time.

What do you think? Also how much does a good bean bag cost - what should I look for in a bean bag - any brands or shop suggestions - I live in Mulund, but any central suburb should be OK.
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What do you think? Also how much does a good bean bag cost - what should I look for in a bean bag - any brands or shop suggestions - I live in Mulund, but any central suburb should be OK.
Bean bags are really comfortable but I think these are now outdated, thanks to recliners. A good bean bag should cost around 1200-1500 tops but will last for couple of years. I think you need to refill it (dont know what exactly). Had two with me some 2-3 years back. But if you are looking for ultimate comfort, I would rather suggest you to go for a recliner. Of course, it aint cheap. But I recently bought one here in Cochin for 13,699 which is a steal considering that recliners are quite expensive. This one is chinese made with a fabric seat and quite wide. Will recline all the way back (like a bed). Planning to get another set in the future.
Old 2nd May 2013, 21:16   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Bean bags are really comfortable but I think these are now outdated, thanks to recliners.
But recliners predate bean bags considerably. So how can they make bean bags outdated. Also, my need is more for sitting than reclining.
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Just to update.

We got our friends dual recliners from Lazy boy. Cost around 80k - but now the couple can sit and watch everything together instead of fighting about who gets the recliner. For people who are going for really high end sofas - this is a good option.

I had checked lots of massage chairs at that time. Osim is the best - no doubt though that you pay for the brand. Two products which I would heartily recommend to anyone (i) the Osim U relax - portable massager - it is like a cover which you can put on any chair, or even your car seat. It does a pretty reasonable job of a back massage. The limitation is that because of its size, it doesn't massage the upper back/shoulder. Osim's model is for Rs. 15k, which once you try it, doesn't seem like a bad deal. Chroma comes out with a similar model, for Rs. 3-4k, but I didn't find it as effective. (ii) For anyone, who is at a level where he can buy a merc C class - buy the OSIM zero gravity massage chairs. They are over Rs. 2 lakhs (which you can and should manage by choosing the Skoda Superb over the Merc C), and are so good that they will breathe a new life into you when you come back from office, spend 15 min on those chairs and start with the domestic part of life. Some of the top models at Rs. 3 lakhs, are so good at imitating natural masseuse hand movements, that you start worrying about drones taking over the world. These are full body massagers, completely kitted out.

Osim sales executive were pretty dimissive about the other manufacturers - saying that OSIM builds in a lot of safeguards which are necessary in massage chairs, as they are ultimately mechanical objects in close contact with your body (Once while trying out an 5 year old model Osim leg massager at a friend's house, I realised that the massage was being too painful mode, as it would constrict the legs very hard.)
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But recliners predate bean bags considerably. So how can they make bean bags outdated. Also, my need is more for sitting than reclining.
Recliners are also perfect for sitting also. Gives a good upright position. I was just talking about the long term benefits as these last. Just a personal opinion after using both bean bags and recliners. Also, the recliners I got is a steal. Many of my friends and relatives came to check it out as the price is really low and provides a very comfortable seating position.
Old 5th May 2013, 12:36   #22
BHPian

The real problem with bean bags is maintenance. You have to refill them every year, if you use them lots. But then even the cheapest half decent recliners are like Rs. 20k, while a bean bag is yours' for Rs. 1.5-1.8k.

I will still go for a recliner because of the arm support. But I know friends who substituted their beds for bean bags in college - get two bean bags, remove the bed from the tiny hostel cubie - use the bean bags for multiplayer gaming, and join them at night to pass out.

I think, with furniture, the balance is between comfort (back support, arm support, feel) and convinience (are you going to stay long enough in that house, etc., invest in furniture later again).
Old 5th May 2013, 14:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

I use the Osim's demo spaces in malls to go and get myself a foot and back massage every time I'm there...works nice, 20 minutes of bliss for free

I tried their back massager but didnt find it doing enough while the foot massagers are a lot better.
Old 5th May 2013, 17:43   #24
BHPian

Has Anyone tried Hettich , They give Mechanism only and remaining have to built by a sofa maker .
Old 5th May 2013, 18:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Has Anyone tried Hettich , They give Mechanism only and remaining have to built by a sofa maker .
I'm using hettich for my kitchen shelves both soft close hinges, push rods and drawers. Their soft hinges wont last if used very often. Had to change two of the hinges. But their products are really good. Might have used a defective piece.
Old 9th May 2013, 20:37   #26
BHPian

hi, i am looking a for recliner chairs in the budget of 50-60 thousand. I am considering lazyboy and osim. Any comparison or pointers?
Old 26th July 2014, 09:10   #27
BHPian

Purchased one online.

http://www.fabmart.com/collections/l...liner-cardinal

Here is my experience:

1. Order online with a promise of 4 week delivery which is same as what was promised in Stanley boutiques - checked in Bangalore and Chennai also
2. The order was delivered in 2 days before schedule. The guys from Fabmart was great in terms of keeping me informed about when to expect the delivery and coordinating the actually shipment. It came in knocked down form.
3. The guys from Fabmart came down for delivery the next day but I had already managed to assemble it myself as it is pretty straight forward

I think its a great product. I purchased the red leather version which is a contract to my slightly off-white leatherite sofa. The sofa feels sofa but not to the extent that it makes you feel comfortable. The build looks and feels solid and the mechanism of reclining works without a hitch.
Old 27th July 2014, 02:54   #28
BHPian

If only these could be fitted in cars

BTW, any decent place to get a Bean bag for a nominal price in Delhi?
Old 11th October 2014, 00:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But recliners predate bean bags ...

So you can't keep them in the same house, I suppose. is the result very messy? Torn shreds of beanbag and a horrible munching noise as the recliner dribbles polystyrene beads from its awful mouth?

OK, forgive the flight of fancy . Wondering about the current situation of buying in Chennai? Also if the cheaper cloth-upholstered la-z-boy is available?

~
Old 27th October 2014, 09:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

So you can't keep them in the same house, I suppose. is the result very messy? Torn shreds of beanbag and a horrible munching noise as the recliner dribbles polystyrene beads from its awful mouth?

OK, forgive the flight of fancy . Wondering about the current situation of buying in Chennai? Also if the cheaper cloth-upholstered la-z-boy is available?

~
Yes, the upholstered ones are available at < 30K. I think its value for money considering they last really long. Fabmart had some Diwali offer running up until yesterday. You can check it out here: http://www.fabmart.com/collections/la-z-boy-recliners

Most Viewed