Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 11:45   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
So how was the overall experience, compared to the others you have used.
Actually the customer care had been excellent. But their speeds are never consistent. I feel that if I am paying ~1750 a month for a 100Mbps speed, I should get atleast 70Mbps absolute minimum. However I have mostly been getting in the 20s and 40s on speed test. When I raise a speed complaint they come over and before arriving they reset something in their NOC and I see speeds of 90Mbps that morning. But then it is usually back to the 20-40 range. I asked them to downgrade me to their 40Mbps plan so I need not pay for 100 and get only 40, but they refused. They also refuse to close and refund me my money after deducting anything they want, prior to end of my prepaid term.
Regarding downtime, I have had couple of instances of downtime but didn't concern me as I also have Youbroadband still at home and I just switched connections till they resolved it. This has happened twice in the past two months.
Old 7th January 2016, 15:02   #722
Senior - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I believe this is the case with Cherrinet too. I had the same problem trying to access my router from office. I have taken them for a three month trial and will be terminating them by first week of feb! I am going to continue with Youbroadband fiber.
A friend of mine talked to Railwire person hoping to have a static public IP. However, Railwire told that it is technically not possible for any subscriber to have a public IP in their network.

This is a big no-no for any users who wish to access their home network from external networks.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th January 2016 at 15:06.
Old 7th January 2016, 16:02   #723
BHPian

Have been using the ACT Storm plan in Pallikaranai, Chennai since the last week of November 2015. Have been consistently getting the promised 40 Mbps speed here and am extremely happy with their service. Had a few issues but we're sorted out quickly. Tariff o
Is Rs 1099 for per month, 40 Mbps speed and 75 GB download limit per month and post limit the download speed will drop to 512 Kbps.
Old 7th January 2016, 16:15   #724
Senior - BHPian

ACT - moved to their "100 mbps" plan ACT incredible after Cherrinet proved blazing fast (100 Mbps or near that, SYMMETRICAL = both upload and download) but not terribly reliable.

ACT is close to 50 Mbps down and 100 up (52.98 down, 91.95 up) - of course using a 802.11ac capable wifi router, without which these speeds aren't possible, not on a N150 / N300 etc (which are capable of 15 and 30 Mbps respectively)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4975923432
Old 7th January 2016, 17:25   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Actually the customer care had been excellent. But their speeds are never consistent. I feel that if I am paying ~1750 a month for a 100Mbps speed, I should get atleast 70Mbps absolute minimum. However I have mostly been getting in the 20s and 40s on speed test
. .....
Thanks for the update, sad to see that only a few of the ISPs rule the roost, and BSNL and Airtel are happy with what they provide. Looks like we still need to wait for some more time for more options.

Were they able to explain the sudden performance when they visited, and lack of it otherwise? Any possibility for other users hogging the network? I think it is 1:30 or something similar !
Old 21st January 2016, 10:05   #726
Senior - BHPian

I enquired for an Airtel BB connection and I got a mail saying :

Request to make a note that you will be required to pay an activation fee of Rs .1000/

Is this standard for Airtel now ? I had a airtel connection several years ago, I just remember paying a refundable deposit of 500/- at that time. Looks like the 1K activation fee is not refundable.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:15   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I enquired for an Airtel BB connection and I got a mail saying :

Request to make a note that you will be required to pay an activation fee of Rs .1000/

Is this standard for Airtel now ? I had a airtel connection several years ago, I just remember paying a refundable deposit of 500/- at that time. Looks like the 1K activation fee is not refundable.
it's not refundable but every month 200 rs will get deducted from your monthly package so if you have a pack of 1000 a month you pay 800 for next 5 months. I have a FTTH connection and same fees had to be paid.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:33   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

My folks place in suburban Mumbai we have a high-rise building right behind that is probably the reason no mobile provider gets a decent signal here. Even voice is a problem, data is practically non-existent.

I had an Idea dongle that didn't even give me 2G speeds and got it cancelled yesterday. Bought into the BS of a sales guy and bought a Reliance CDMA dongle instead. It's called a Wi-Pod and can transmit Wifi when plugged in to max 5 devices. Rated speed is 14.7 Mbps but I was assured of a download speed of between 1-5 Mbps (which isn't great but I was OK since there were no other options).

Paid up 6 months in advance as well to take advantage of the limit cap being lifted. Now I find that I hardly get a signal- the measured download speeds are in the range of 50-200 kbps tops. Spent hours on the phone with Reliance customer care with the net result that they have raised a "complaint" and saying that it is network related (duh!) Money down the drain- please stay away from Reliance.

Oh- the cost was 1000/- plus tax per month plus 2000/- for the device itself (waived since I took a 6-month connection pre-paid).
Old 21st January 2016, 15:01   #729
BHPian

I pay Rs 1600/ month for my cable broadband connection. Speed is 2 Mbps for unlimited data (No FUP) with local peering enabled.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:04   #730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Bought into the BS of a sales guy and bought a Reliance CDMA dongle instead. It's called a Wi-Pod and can transmit Wifi when plugged in to max 5 devices. Rated speed is 14.7 Mbps but I was assured of a download speed of between 1-5 Mbps (which isn't great but I was OK since there were no other options).

Paid up 6 months in advance as well to take advantage of the limit cap being lifted. Now I find that I hardly get a signal- the measured download speeds are in the range of 50-200 kbps tops. Spent hours on the phone with Reliance customer care with the net result that they have raised a "complaint" and saying that it is network related (duh!) Money down the drain- please stay away from Reliance.

Oh- the cost was 1000/- plus tax per month plus 2000/- for the device itself (waived since I took a 6-month connection pre-paid).
Does Reliance offer a buy-back within a specific period?

A few months back, I got the Tata Docomo dongle that promises speeds of 14 mbps. The sales guy mentioned that within 15 days, I have this option: if I don't get a reasonable speed, they would buy back the device. The condition being: once I lodge a compliant, a technician would come to my place and check the network strength. If the device can't support the speed, they will take it back.

Overall, I absolutely don't trust the wifi dongles; I don't think any operator has a good enough wireless network to support that kind of speed promise.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:11   #731
Team-BHP Support

I use ACT since last 2 years 30 Mbps 50GB/ month or 75GB if paid annually. 512 kbps after the FUP. What i like about ACT is the stability and since it is fiber to home, speed for upload and downloads are same. Has very good power back up also, so even with an 8 hour power cut line will still work, unlike the previous Hathway which used to conk. Oh its about 12xx per month if you pay annual you get 2 months free with additional 25GB every month.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:31   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does Reliance offer a buy-back within a specific period?

A few months back, I got the Tata Docomo dongle that promises speeds of 14 mbps. The sales guy mentioned that within 15 days, I have this option: if I don't get a reasonable speed, they would buy back the device. The condition being: once I lodge a compliant, a technician would come to my place and check the network strength. If the device can't support the speed, they will take it back.

Overall, I absolutely don't trust the wifi dongles; I don't think any operator has a good enough wireless network to support that kind of speed promise.
The sales guy said if I was in doubt I could start with a 1 month prepaid subscription of 1000/- plus 2,000/- for the dongle and if I didn't get good speeds, they would try and resell the dongle for 1200/- or so (I would still lose the 1000), which didn't look that attractive to me. Caveat emptor, I guess. Service engineer has got in touch and said he will update, so am waiting.
Old 24th January 2016, 16:14   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This means, you can't access your router from outside world. You cannot view your IP camera at home from outside.
About IP cameras - be sure that you lock them down thoroughly. Else ..

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...eeping-babies/
Old 30th January 2016, 19:27   #734
Team-BHP Support

I have Airtel at home; the 999 plan: 4 mbps until 40 Gb and then 1 mbps.

Here's what I've noticed lately: I generally stream tv shows/movies and typically stick to one/two domains since I've generally been happy with the video quality and streaming speed.

Since a week or so, I've noticed that the streaming speed is absolutely terribly, even at low quality video. I checked but hadn't exhausted the data allowance.

Randomly, I tried out a different domain and the video streamed as quick as earlier.

Clearly, Airtel must be tracking how much data I consume on specific websites and limited the speed.

Any other explanation? How can I work around this?
Old 30th January 2016, 19:49   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One word of caution for anyone planning to go for Railwire FTTH.

you can't access your router from outside world.

Being in rail wire network is like you are part of a big local area network. Your router gets a private IP address.
I have worked with an ISP as a network engineer. In my humble view, folks should stick with private IPs (10.x.x.x ) in general. There shouldn't be a need of public IP unless you intend others to reach you, like you own a public website.Use a software built over to communicate with things at home.

Public IPs are a big security risk and anyone from anywhere can attack you easily. Private IP is an important layer of security.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks