Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 14:47   #901
BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Finally last month I got ACT Blaze @ 50Mbps and 100GB downloads. They upgraded it to 65Mbps and 140GB for free. Enjoying every bit of it

Probably will discontinue the BSNL BB this week.
Old 1st September 2017, 14:53   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You are better off getting a combined modem and wifi router - Asus has DSL-N series models that will be perfectly adequate for your 40 Mbps line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Yes Sir, sometimes it takes even 4-5 minutes to get re-connected after a brief Power off. Just for comparison, mine is D-Link modem provided by Airtel.
Thank you batman and hserus.

Actually, the Airtel modem is a combined wifi/router/modem. However, I happened to have a Trendnet router in the cupboard with better specs, so I am using that, with the Airtel box just being a modem.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st September 2017 at 14:54.
Old 1st September 2017, 23:31   #903
BANNED

I am using Hathway since they started services here .I signed up one month back for 50mbps 450gb per month for one year tenure for about 18000 INR .I also got three months free so total validity 15months .I find speed to be low .May be I am using Hathway modem cum router so that is why speed is slow .Maximum devices connected at a go sometimes is 10 .Overall satisfied.
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:20   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you batman and hserus.

Actually, the Airtel modem is a combined wifi/router/modem. However, I happened to have a Trendnet router in the cupboard with better specs, so I am using that, with the Airtel box just being a modem.
It being a useless made in china OEM'd in India Beetel modem is part of the reason why it retrains (blinks on and off till it connects) for so long.

Get the Asus, you won't regret it. (edit) Added advantage - just one bit of equipment rather than two to plug into the electric supply. Less cabling snaking around. Fun eh.

By the way - it is fun the difference in speeds a wifi router upgrade does for an already fast connection.

AC1200 on a Hathway 200 Mbps connection (at just over 1500 a month including taxes) - I get around 100 Mbps down, 80/90 Mbps up. And then upgrade to an AC1900 (at around 13K, the costlier ones - AC3200 and such - are around 24k right now ouch). See what the speed increase is right after this very well spent money.
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you pay for your broadband?-speedtest.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd September 2017 at 22:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 2nd September 2017, 17:26   #905
BHPian

Quote:
By the way - it is fun the difference in speeds a wifi router upgrade does for an already fast connection.

AC1200 on a Hathway 200 Mbps connection (at just over 1500 a month including taxes) - I get around 100 Mbps down, 80/90 Mbps up. And then upgrade to an AC1900 (at around 13K, the costlier ones - AC3200 and such - are around 24k right now ouch). See what the speed increase is right after this very well spent money.

How is the range if I need over two floors?
Old 2nd September 2017, 17:29   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
How is the range if I need over two floors?
That depends on your wifi router, how your house is constructed (enough open plan / empty space and not too many beams within the house etc) and the power of the router you actually use.

For some of the more powerful AC routers (Netgear Nighthawk for example) you should get decent connectivity but directly above or below the router.

For example - I get a decent signal 3 stories downstairs near my car (which is parked more or less right under the window by which my router is located). Move a little to the right or left (step round the corner of the building, downstairs) and the signal available from that access point drops to near zero.

I would advice using ethernet cabling and a range extender for peace of mind.
Old 2nd September 2017, 17:35   #907
mxx
BHPian

Quote:

I'm wondering if a third-party modem would be better. Vfiber-compatible modems is something I have seen on the net, but can never find when I search for it.
VDSL modem routers much more expensive than the adsl ones. Unless you are looking for any specific/advanced features, tp-link TD-W9977 is a very good vfm option - priced at 3600 without discounts. You can find this on amazon. I am using this with Airtel v-fiber connection as the beetel router was really bad and unreliable.
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:52   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that.

I am new to the letters v-d-s-l! Is it a standard, like adsl*, where stuff just works or is Airtel doing anything special/proprietary? I mean: if the box says "vdsl" can one be confident it will work with vfiber?

*oh... yes, I know it isn't quite that simple, and there are different kinds of adsl.
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:15   #909
Senior - BHPian

Let us say it is a faster version of ADSL. A = asynchronous, V = "Very high bit rate", what a mouthful, and still far slower than any kind of fiber optic offering.

Yes. VFiber is a VDSL offering and most modern DSL capable modems will support VDSL. The modem box (or looking up its spec online) will surely give you its technical specs such as whether it supports VDSL.

Quote:
Thanks for that.

I am new to the letters v-d-s-l! Is it a standard, like adsl*, where stuff just works or is Airtel doing anything special/proprietary? I mean: if the box says "vdsl" can one be confident it will work with vfiber?

*oh... yes, I know it isn't quite that simple, and there are different kinds of adsl.
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:41   #910

I am using Act Fibernet, the plan is ACT Storm 90 Mbps, 175 GB download limit for Rs 1149 plus taxes, with taxes it comes upto 1350 approx. Awesome speed and very good customer service
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you pay for your broadband?-speedtest.png  

Old 3rd September 2017, 09:22   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNY View Post
I am using Act Fibernet, the plan is ACT Storm 90 Mbps, 175 GB download limit for Rs 1149 plus taxes, with taxes it comes upto 1350 approx. Awesome speed and very good customer service
Double the speed for a bit more than 200/- more on Hathway as you can see from my previous post

ACT = fiber to your apartment basement or some nearby home, and then ethernet after that. Places a certain limit on speeds.

Hathway can eventually upgrade to Gigabit because they're 100% fiber to the home.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:33   #912
BHPian

Quote:

ACT = fiber to your apartment basement or some nearby home, and then ethernet after that. Places a certain limit on speeds.

Hathway can eventually upgrade to Gigabit because they're 100% fiber to the home.
ACT has already launched Gigabit in Hyderabad ☺️. Although not sure if it is with FTTH or FTTC. Their website mentions that the connecting copper cable should be of CAT6 at the least. So, I guess it's Gigabit speeds without 100% fiber. Either way, one need not bother if served 1Gbps in India.
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:57   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. VFiber is a VDSL offering and most modern DSL capable modems will support VDSL.
Thanks, hserus.

I do wonder what people do with these speeds! Frankly, 8Mb/s was enough for me. While I'll happy upgrade to 20 or 40... or even 100 or gigabit, if it doesn't cost more, I wont change supplier for that alone, as I have absolutely no need for such speed.

What do people do? I'm aware that there are manic downloaders, but how would ever watch that many movies or listen to that much music. But... I guess there could be a new law: in the end, content will expand to fill available bandwith.
Old 3rd September 2017, 17:06   #914
Senior - BHPian

You’d watch a HD quality movie without lag or jitter. You would stream audio likewise. You wouldn’t have to twiddle your thumbs waiting for some page or the other to load.

Try it - it is like driving an Alto and then moving on to say a Jetta. You won’t really want to drive the Alto again. Also - both available at the same cost instead of eight times the price makes your decision a lot easier.
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:24   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, hserus.

I do wonder what people do with these speeds! Frankly, 8Mb/s was enough for me. While I'll happy upgrade to 20 or 40... or even 100 or gigabit, if it doesn't cost more, I wont change supplier for that alone, as I have absolutely no need for such speed.[/i]
Both my kids have stopped watching cable TV, they prefer to watch their fav shows only on youtube/amazon/netflix on a smartTV. Most of our audio players are hooked on to the internet. Not to mention my work which requires me to have home office setup..

I had 10Mbps connection and it used to choke when my kids watch HDTV, and I need to download large files for work. I moved to 100Mbps fibernet. I am happy now! It is a nice feeling to see everything instantly connect/ work without any wait..

guess the millenials now take the internet as given, just like we used to take electricity as given

Most Viewed