Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 14:05   #1006
Team-BHP Support

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Which city is this? I didnt see this plan in Bangalore. I saw this in Hyderabad.
This is in Pune; but the same is available in Gurgaon as well.
Old 24th January 2019, 14:17   #1007
BHPian

Am shifting from Hathway to ACT in Chennai. Facing issues with Netflix and general internet over the past one week with Hathway. Since both are prepaid providers will try to use them alternately every month if permitted. There is no install fee anymore and I am getting a 150rs discount monthly on moving from Hathway to ACT.
Old 24th January 2019, 14:43   #1008
BHPian

I do not watch any movies, serials or such things. Therefore, my broadband usage is minimal. I have been a loyal customer of BSNL (I have Landline, Broadband and Mobile connections from BSNL) since many years. I always used to opt for lowest available plan with Combo (landline and broadband) FUP plans. Until last month, I was under 549 plan and now from this month I switched to 299 plan. BSNL had introduced this 299 plan long time back, but they were not offering it for existing customers. Now they have opened this plan for all, so i promptly opted for this plan.
Plan details - 45 GB per month (1.5GB per day) at 8Mbps and beyond 1.5GB, it will be 1Mbps. They have some free calls as well, which I hardly use.
Old 24th January 2019, 16:17   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am shifting from Hathway to ACT in Chennai. Facing issues with Netflix and general internet over the past one week with Hathway. Since both are prepaid providers will try to use them alternately every month if permitted. There is no install fee anymore and I am getting a 150rs discount monthly on moving from Hathway to ACT.
Ha haaa. Iam a recent convert from ACT to Hathway as I faced frequent downtimes off late with ACT & support is also bad (in my area). I was on an annual subscription with ACT for 2 years & moved to monthly subscription with Hathway
Old 24th January 2019, 16:38   #1010
BANNED

Using Airtel V-Fiver with land line for last 1 and 1/2 years. Up-time would be more than 99.5%.

Speed: 40MBPS
Data: Unlimited (3340 GB per month to be precise)
Talk: Unlimited to anywhere in India
Cost: 899/- + tax

No issues with Netflix/Amazon etc on 40 inch Smart TV with full HD.
No issue with VPN connection to office server.
Sometimes mobiles get issues using browsers, though I am not sure whether to blame broadband or mobile browser.
Old 24th January 2019, 20:41   #1011
BHPian

Re: Mumbai(Goregaon(W)) ISPs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any using 'JIO Fiber' in Mumbai, especially around Goregaon(W)?

I am looking to replace the current local cable internet connection with something stable and reliable(NO MTNL please).

Please pour in your suggestions!
Using it for the past 6 months around Dadar (15 kms away goregaon) 100% up time and no issues at all. Speed is good too at around 40 mbps +.
Old 24th January 2019, 22:23   #1012
BHPian

I recently shifted to a new apartment in Pune and wanted to try Airtel broadband. Submitted the request on their website for a new connection. After 2 days of zero communication, I got a call from Airtel customer service asking for feedback for the new broadband connection. This is when no one bothered to call me / come to my place to check availability. The lady on the line assured me that someone will get in touch in the next 2 hours and that the broadband will be set up in no time.

After waiting for another day, I gave up and raised a new connection request on You Broadband website at 10:30 AM. By 3 PM same day, I had the connection up and running.

Opted for the following plan:

Speed: 200 Mbps
Data: 2100 GB
Validity: 3 months
Cost: ₹ 5547/-
Installation charges: ₹ 0

Overall, happy with the speed that I am getting, 120+ Mbps download, 25+ Mbps upload. So far, there has been no downtime, but again, it's too early to tell.
Old 24th January 2019, 23:27   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Airtel Broad band. Rs 499 + tax. 150 GB per month, no data carry over, long term credit data 1000 GB,16 MBPS ( they have not laid OFC in our area yet), unlimited calls within India and Airtel TV.

I was paying Rs 1099 + tax for 80 GB till last month. Called them and told I am switching to ACT because I am not happy with current speed. Immediately offered this plan which I accepted!

I am the secretary of our residential complex. Last month JIO broad band people approached me and took permission to install boxes inside the complex. Said they would be offering calls, high speed internet and TV through same cable. No details yet about tariff.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:10   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Spectranet came up with newspaper flyers in our part of Bengaluru. I spoke to them yesterday and they have collected the payment, filled in the forms and will schedule installation within 72 hours.

Their plan is interesting:
250 MBPS, 250 GB per month, Rs.900+tax. Deposit of Rs.2000/- and installation of Rs.1000/-
If you opt for 5 months, you pay no deposit, no installation, and get two months free. Further, monthly FUP is hiked to 500 GB with carry forward.

I am currently on Airtel with Rs.799 plan (+ Rs.50 discount), 75 GB per month, 40 mbps Vfiber. I felt the data FUP is low for my usage (Primarily Hotstar and Prime).

I tried for Jio fiber, they were dragging their feet and were giving some excuses of construction team delaying, not responding etc, although they have come into apartments near ours.

Reviews on the net for Spectra are not very positive, mostly due to downtime owing to cable cuts etc. But I guess those who like the service will rarely post a positive review, while those who are having issues will surely post online.

Lets see. I plan to continue airtel for 1-2 months in parallel till the connection stabilises or Jio comes over.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:58   #1015
BHPian

My internet provider is Railwire. I have a Rs.899 plan for 400 GB @ 50 mbs. With GST its Rs 1074. This is quite ok for my usage, though there is no carryover for the balance data at the end of the month. I am happy with their speed, no complaints, and the customer service is good.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:48   #1016
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally took the plunge with YOU Broadband and got rid of my overpriced, underpowered BSNL connection. I am on a 500 GB/month 100 Mbps connection for 1828/- including GST.

YOU is significantly more customer friendly than BSNL (frankly, anyone would be). I get text alerts on downtime (rare) and can recharge and even change my plan seamlessly on the app. There is a local contact number they have provided for immediate queries as well. And if I retain or upgrade my plan, it allows rollover of unused data as well.

I threw out my old router and bought the Orbi RBK20 base + satellite system that delivers almost lossless and dead-zone-free experience throughout the home. For example this Speedtest taken moments ago is fairly typical:

How much do you pay for your broadband?-169a4930186843cfb4864ab41789cf8a.jpeg

Thanks to Viddy6639 for the router recco. I managed to pick it up for 12k in an Amazon sale (current price is 17k). Worth every penny!
Old 4th February 2019, 11:09   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
... got rid of my overpriced, underpowered BSNL connection. I am on a 500 GB/month 100 Mbps connection for 1828/- including GST
Not sure if you have Hathway or ACT in your area. They are significantly cheaper that the price you mentioned for similar or better plans.
Old 4th February 2019, 15:20   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the general feedback on Jio Broadband from users here?
Old 4th February 2019, 15:52   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What is the general feedback on Jio Broadband from users here?
Usage wise, its been nice so far. Still in the beta / trial stage so have paid only the refundable deposit for the modem. Wired speed are around 95-97 Mbps while wireless drops down to 50-75 Mbps based on device. If your home is big, I would recommend you get a separate, more powerful wifi router.

The device has a telephone jack and a USB port - the phone can be used as an intercom (not yet started in my society) while the USB can work with a hard disk, or maybe even a printer (haven't tried yet).
Old 7th February 2019, 17:49   #1020
BHPian

BSNL FTTH Bharat Fiber plans changed from monthly FUP to daily FUP

So BSNL in all their wisdom have decided to change their FTTH plans from earlier having monthly data limits (FUP) to daily limits starting this month.

I just got their 1277 plan 100 mbps with 750 GB monthly FUP four months ago at the end of September. Now my plan has been switched to daily 25 GB limit. See their main webpage where the new plans are listed: http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/B...d/bb_ftth.html

This is so infuriating! During weekdays when usage is low you lose all the unused data and during weekends when you might want to utilise the connection to the fullest like for netflix streaming and binge watching you can't do more than a few hours of hi-definition video.

I have sent them messages on twitter and facebook and also filed a complaint on the PG portal (public grievances: https://pgportal.gov.in/ ) but I doubt they will care.

Anyone else here on BSNL FTTH who cares about this change? Submit a PG Portal complaint?

I don't even have any other ISP option in my ghetto area of Pune where I live

Last edited by vishalrao : 7th February 2019 at 18:06. Reason: added pg portal link

Most Viewed