Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 17:23   #706

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

I subscribed ACT Net formerly known as BEAM Tele Net. It's a CDMA based WI-Max service provider. I pay 1202/- pm.

Speed: 40 MBPS (bytes)
Download Limit: 100 GB

post limit

Speed: 4 MBPS
Download Limit: Unlimited
Old 16th December 2015, 23:52   #707
Senior - BHPian

ACT is not CDMA Wimax to my knowledge. It is an optical fiber provider - with a difference. They run fiber only upto a ONU + switch in for example your apartment's basement, and then run ethernet up to your house from the switch.

Quite fast but not as fast as straight fiber to the home that some other providers have started to offer.
Old 21st December 2015, 11:13   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Got the 8Mbps, 60GB plan from BSNL, for Rs.1091/- + tax. Download speed has been showing up to be over and above 70% of the rated speed whenever checked on speedtest.net. Very satisfied with this plan, since the last 2 months of switch.

I have the same plan but off late, the Internet is very unstable. Was working flawlessly for the last two months but now it works intermittently.

The DSL light keeps blinking all the time when there is an outage. Is this a line fault ?!?!

Hesitant to switch to another operator.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 21st December 2015, 13:06   #709
Senior - BHPian

DSL light blinking = your modem has "no carrier" and is trying to bring the link up.

It could be a line fault - common due to for example overhead cabling laid by your provider, or if it is buried cabling, then some other department goes and digs up the roads without checking and cuts the cable. Or in other cases rival cable operators or just plain thieves may go and steal all the cabling (even fiber optic cabling because they don't realize that is glass and not copper so zero scrap value)
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:46   #710
BHPian

Found an issue with Cherrinet today. When I tried booking a tatkal train ticket, and I clicked the "Book Now", it told me that from this IP only 2 tickets are permitted per day. Apparently, I am getting a common IP and I wasn't aware, else would have been on a VPN and attempted...
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:02   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Found an issue with Cherrinet today. When I tried booking a tatkal train ticket, and I clicked the "Book Now", it told me that from this IP only 2 tickets are permitted per day. Apparently, I am getting a common IP and I wasn't aware, else would have been on a VPN and attempted...
Is it the same IP for all the users from a given hub ? Not sure how it works, but would it not cause issues with all sites checking for multiple logins?

How does the VPN you mention work ? Are they provided by third parties ?
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:28   #712
BHPian

I am using Hathway Broadband since past 3.5 months. Billed around 2700 for 3 months. Opting between 50 Mbps and 15 Mbps plans. BSNL used to be my stable work horse all these years, but, urge for high speed and with lots of tele-sms marketing got in to Hathway:-D. Speeds are good and customer service has improved definitely at least in my location! Just evaluating their service, will decide to continue only after about say 2 more months.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:13   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Is it the same IP for all the users from a given hub ? How does the VPN you mention work ?
Not sure if they are using a common firewall for a set of subscribers etc, no idea why this common ip. I have office VPN to login to US servers. This is available commercially too for ip spoofing.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:20   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Internet is very unstable. Was working flawlessly for the last two months but now it works intermittently.
Contact BSNL. There could be a problem on the line / your modem.

I am on the same plan.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:36   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Is it the same IP for all the users from a given hub ? Not sure how it works, but would it not cause issues with all sites checking for multiple logins?

How does the VPN you mention work ? Are they provided by third parties ?
Carrier Grade NAT is going to be what we are looking at for the foreseeable future. IPv4 (the old familiar 202.54.30.2 type dotted quad address space) is exhausted, so carriers either have to move to IPv6, for which there is extremely poor adoption, and little or no support within India in terms of local apps though google, fb etc are all available on it, or use large scale carrier grade NAT

IRCTC has put in this IP based control as part of their strategy to deter ticket touts / agents from opening up simultaneous login sessions using automated ticket booking software, but it doesn't quite work, the agents keep booking tickets to sell in black, while regular people stuck behind carrier NAT setups and office LAN IPs are inconvenienced. What to do?

As for VPNs, there are corporate VPNs that give you access through an office IP - but they may or may not let you use it for personal work, and there are the sort of VPN that claims to give you a foreign IP to access for example Netflix etc that are restricted to US customers.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:18   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
DSL light blinking = your modem has "no carrier" and is trying to bring the link up.

It could be a line fault - common due to for example overhead cabling laid by your provider, or if it is buried cabling, then some other department goes and digs up the roads without checking and cuts the cable. Or in other cases rival cable operators or just plain thieves may go and steal all the cabling (even fiber optic cabling because they don't realize that is glass and not copper so zero scrap value)

Thanks sir! Was a line fault. Got it rectified. All the lights are now working, but webpages fail to load. I have no connectivity.

Modem diagnostics shows the following:-How much do you pay for your broadband?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450770508.526733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:30   #717
Senior - BHPian

You might want to try changing your dns to use google dns or opendns servers. That should be possible in the options where it gives you a choice between "use my ISP provided dns servers, manually enter dns servers"

Opendns - 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220.
Google - 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4

Use one of those and see if it helps.

Note - mods - may want to move this and similar to any thread that covers internet access / general computer tech support issues.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:15   #718
Senior - BHPian

One word of caution for anyone planning to go for Railwire FTTH.

Railwire is good in terms of speed, economy and customer service.

But I will NEVER go for their connection because of a single reason - They don't give public IP address to your router!

What does this mean?

This means, you can't access your router from outside world. You cannot view your IP camera at home from outside. You cannot port forward anything. You cannot play online games. You cannot run a home VPN server. You can't do SSH to your router from outside. You can't access your Raspberry Pi or a NAS sitting at home from outside.

Being in rail wire network is like you are part of a big local area network. Your router gets a private IP address.

If you only want to browse from home, then it may be a good connection for you. But if you are an advanced user who wants to access devices at home from outside (office, from mobile phone etc) then this connection is useless.

For the time being, I will stick with BSNL, who gives me a dynamic public IP address. I use ddns services to bind my dynamic public IP to a hostname, so that I am always connected to my home router from outside networks.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th January 2016 at 10:35.
Old 6th January 2016, 23:02   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This means, you can't access your router from outside world. You cannot view your IP camera at home from outside. You cannot port forward anything. You cannot play online games.
I believe this is the case with Cherrinet too. I had the same problem trying to access my router from office. I have taken them for a three month trial and will be terminating them by first week of feb! I am going to continue with Youbroadband fiber.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:43   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I believe this is the case with Cherrinet too. I had the same problem trying to access my router from office. I have taken them for a three month trial and will be terminating them by first week of feb! I am going to continue with Youbroadband fiber.
So how was the overall experience, compared to the others you have used? They had a good technology, and hope they had put it to good use.

My search for an alternate to ACT is leading to dead ends. Not that I am disappointed with ATC.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 7th January 2016 at 09:44.

Most Viewed