Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2006, 23:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
I have personally experienced one such incident first hand.... I was abroad on a freeway... doing about 180kmph in a Hyundai Sonata - Circa 1992 - when suddenly eveyone kinda dropped back and started honking and flashing their lights etc.... I thought I must have skipped a speed check point ior something and looked at the rear vew mirrors.. saw some smoke.... but the car was drinking oil so I attributed that to it... but then I noticed huge oil tanker trucks pulling up sharply and giving me a wide wide berth (six lanes either way) ... I took my feet off the accelerator.. kinda started slowing down... then a taxi drew up alongside... the driver kept shouting something in Arabic... I could not understand... then the rear window drops.. the lady sitting there tears her veil off and sreams loundly geticulating to the rear of the car... THIS I knew meant SERIOUS TROUBLE.. By then I had slowed enough - and this time when I looked at the rear view mirror all I could see was smoke... I drove till I found an exit ramp and stopped the car halfway down it (to keep the freeway clear..) .. me and my collegue goit out of the car... and RAN... and WHUMMMp!! the damn thing exploded!! ... It burned so fiercly that the steering wheel was reduced to a small blob of molten metal!!

Sheer Providence... I always say my prayers!!
Lucky car. It suicided coz you drove it Talk abt ECU's and AI in cars!
Old 1st June 2006, 00:39   #32

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

@aza: yup seen the nhc on the expressway ....completely burnt...now rusting away.
have seen a wagonr catching fire.the car.the dhobi guy went and informed the owners of the car that smoke was comin out of the cars bonnet.they were very suprised as this is very unheard of when it comes to marutis.and the car was working pretty fine as the owner had just come back after dropping his son to school.the fire burnt through the bonnet.fter sveral attempts to extinguish the fire with water and sand,the fire died out on its own.it also consumed the entire cylinder head.
later investigations by the police and insurance compny led to believe that the distibutor shortcircuited and rubber hoses caught fire.
freaky!!!!!
my brothers tata indica v2's engine caught fire once..sorry thrice(heheh)
while he was out partying.came back to see a gaping hole in the bonnet.
Old 1st June 2006, 22:43   #33
BHPian

today i had been to a ford showroom and i was really amused to see,the news article of the delhi honda city burning incident displayed in their reception as if to say "look how safe we are".

things people do!
Old 1st June 2006, 23:34   #34
BHPian

Oh it is a shocking news, HC has tank below driver seat.
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
my brothers tata indica v2's engine caught fire once..sorry thrice(heheh)
while he was out partying.came back to see a gaping hole in the bonnet.
Was the car petrol or diesel?
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
i guess one should keep a hammer in his car for obvious reasons.

btw, which is the weakest glass to break? side windows or windscreen?

windscreen is laminated so i guess it'll be tougher to break.
Even if the side window glass is broken, it will be difficult to get out of it because of the small size of the glass and its high position. Therefore it may be safer to break open the windscreen. However, if the fire is in the engine compartment (most likely), even this may not be safe. So may be the tailgate glass is the safest.

(Just my thoughts! This subject requires thorough research by experts)
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:12   #37
BANNED

Hey, It just seems that there is some major virus roaming the streets of Delhi .. lol !!! So strange that in a weeks time s many cars suddnely decide to catch fire ... co-incidence ??????

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:39   #38
BHPian

ohh this is so scarry. Can any one say was this due to LPG or CNG kit ?

I am much worried about these kits now.. Few days back there was a car from Maharastara which got fire in Bangalore due to this kit.
Old 5th June 2006, 09:39   #39
BHPian

Does anyone know what did Honda do as part of its showing responsibility towards those killed. I know somebody mentioned on this forum that GM (General Motors for Optra / Aveo Brand) simply wrote a small letter and did not even order an enquiry in a similar mishap. If anyone knows about any developments do let everybody know.

Last edited by Tech : 5th June 2006 at 09:41.
Old 5th June 2006, 09:49   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Does anyone know what did Honda do as part of its showing responsibility towards those killed. I know somebody mentioned on this forum that GM (General Motors for Optra / Aveo Brand) simply wrote a small letter and did not even order an enquiry in a similar mishap. If anyone knows about any developments do let everybody know.

honda are conduting their own investigations before responding
Old 16th July 2006, 16:25   #41

latest technology

i read that fuel tank in a honda city is located just below the drivers seat and fuel pump below the hand brake.is it true?
Old 16th July 2006, 16:37   #42
BHPian

Slightly off topic but the first thing in a fire is the smoke that will cause injury (before the heat gets the occupants) . Asphyxiation.

However well sealed the car is, chances are the smoke may make its way into the passenger compartment.

Crack open a window if possible.

Another contingency - if the vehicle is a sedan and the boot releases automatically (if it still works) - pop it and drop the rear seat. thats another (not very convenient ) way out!

Another thing - if its an electrical fire or even an oil fire (which the fire most probably will be) - water will not help much - much better is normal sand or dry mud from the road side.

Remember the red buckets with sand in them outside government and military installations!
Old 16th July 2006, 18:39   #43
BANNED

As someone said here.. I don't see the logic of CENTRAL LOCKING FAILUR.
The car companie's are not that brainless to give a security system that actually traps the passengers inside the car during an incident.

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 16th July 2006 at 18:40.
Old 21st July 2006, 19:25   #44
BHPian

Car companies may not be brainless but the actual real facts are in front of us. The passengers were caught inside! Anybody would have struggled to get out from a burning car, but they couldn't.
Old 22nd July 2006, 13:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

The reasons sould be various from what i rmeeber form one of teh news lines on if the seats was reclined dont know how true it is but if it was indeed true then it would be touch to get out form any car in that seat position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks