Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2006, 13:27   #16
BHPian

Wowwwwww ......................
It surely is Paris....had been there 1.5 yrs back...
Can clearly see the Charles de Gaulle - Arc de Triomphe...I guess he also takes a bit of the "Tour De France" road...the famous brick road...
Old 4th June 2006, 13:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey steeroid, iraghava has a direct link to the downloadable version of the video, he has also offered to post it.

This movie has been the subject of a heated debate ever since its launch.

My take is: the maximum speed he ever reaches in the movie is about 70 miles an hour in the starting parts. After that, I dont think there is a single part where he crosses 100 kmph.

Also, the soundtrack often does not gel with the motion of the car or the speeds he does, the downshifts are noticeably untimely in two places.

What makes this mini-movie special is the beautiful early morning Paris, the amazing sound, and the illegal maneuvers the driver makes.
Old 4th June 2006, 18:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great video..the way he downshifts is amazing..but only once did the car skid.am really surprised..guess this is genuine driving and not camera tricks..what do you think guys ??
Old 5th June 2006, 10:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

For another amazing award-winning video (and perfectly legal ), google video Climb Dance. Or find it for download (~50mb) if you really want the high quality experience. Its a video of Ari Vatanen climbing Pikes Peak in a Peugeot 405 T16. Pretty spectacular driving.

cya
R
Old 5th June 2006, 11:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
For another amazing award-winning video (and perfectly legal ), google video Climb Dance. Or find it for download (~50mb) if you really want the high quality experience. Its a video of Ari Vatanen climbing Pikes Peak in a Peugeot 405 T16. Pretty spectacular driving.

cya
R
Completely agree with you Rehaan it is till date the FINEST car driving video I have ever seen and believe me I have seen a lot of them. Anybody who likes cars can't afford to miss it.

As for the video mentioned in this topic I am a little busy but will probably find the link and pm it to all interested members.
Old 5th June 2006, 13:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

Another similar video, but on a bike. But seems a little edited, but there are a few instances where he almost hit cars.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...92897680929567
Old 5th June 2006, 23:03   #22
BHPian

GReat video, u guys simply ROCK
Old 8th June 2006, 14:27   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

cya
R
Indeed, driving of the highest calibre. But the fact is that it was a one-way stretch, on which he probably trained many times before making the video. I wonder if there are similar videos on two-way stretches -- would be much more exciting.
Regards, rks
Old 8th June 2006, 15:03   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Not only the driver was fearless about himself, but he had no concern for other people. No wonder the director was arrested for this crime, hope they punished him adequately. It may be a cult film now, but only because the driver was lucky to get away with it.

Yes, this is the most craziest real life drive I have seen, even beats most movie car chases which involve multiple retakes.
It does look as though the driver was taking crazy risks. But in my opinion, the driver would have pulled off this drive 99 times out 100 without any accident. My reasoning is as follows. The driver was making one major assumption-- namely, that most other drivers were driving in vehicles with much lower capability than his (Ferrari?), and further these drivers were driving LEGALLY and at NORMAL speeds, say below 80 kmph or so. So as he approaches the red lights at high speeds (right on the middle of his lane, to maximize his margins), he keeps a very close watch on the cross-road. If a vehicle does appear to be crossing the junction, he has two possibilities -- if he is at sufficient distance from the junction, he has enough time to brake or swerve his car (remember, the Ferrari has phenomenal braking and cornering capabilities). If he is already too close and a vehicle appears at the junction in the corner of his eyes, he simply *accelerates* past the junction, and maybe swerves a little too --it would be fatal to try to brake in this situation, for that would lead to a collision. Here he relies on the fact that the approaching vehicle is coming reasonably slowly, and also on the phenomenal acceleration capabilities of his car. This theory will fail only in the eventuality that there is another similarly fast and capable vehicle crossing the junction -- then there is no way that the Ferrari driver can see it in time and react to avert the collision. Of course, the driver also probably relies on the fact that in Paris (unlike India) pedestrians will not rush out into the middle of the road, and people and vehicles are orderly and by-and-large obey the law. Of course, is still requires the razor-sharp skills and reflexes of an F1 driver to be able to execute this plan. Note also that the driver was by no means testing the limits of his car at the corners, and by and large hugged the centre-line to maximize his margins. It is also obvious that he knew this stretch very well and had practised this drive before making this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
My take is: the maximum speed he ever reaches in the movie is about 70 miles an hour in the starting parts. After that, I dont think there is a single part where he crosses 100 kmph.
This is definitely very unlikely. *I* can do those roads at 100 kmph on my Santro. So a Ferrari, with phenomenal acceleration capabilities, would definitely have exceeded 100 mph on several of those straight, wide stretches that seemed to go on for several seconds (15-30?) in the video.
Regards, rks
Old 8th June 2006, 19:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

rks, please try and read what others have posted. I have already posted that THE CAR USED IS NOT A FERRARI. It is a buick-engined Apollo GT.

I am no one to comment about the capabilities of a Santro, but it remains that, looking at the video, yes, you just might have, (although I doubt the accelrative capabilities of the Hyundai.

And please notice that the car stops accelrating very soon in the long stretches, it is just the exhuast dubbing that keeps accelerating.
Old 8th June 2006, 20:23   #26
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
rks, please try and read what others have posted. I have already posted that THE CAR USED IS NOT A FERRARI. It is a buick-engined Apollo GT.

I am no one to comment about the capabilities of a Santro, but it remains that, looking at the video, yes, you just might have, (although I doubt the accelrative capabilities of the Hyundai.

And please notice that the car stops accelrating very soon in the long stretches, it is just the exhuast dubbing that keeps accelerating.
Thanks for pointing out that the car was not a Ferrari. I am not expert enough to detect the dubbing or to sense when the acceleration stops, but you may well be right. The Santro (1 lit) takes 17 secs. to hit 100 kmph; there are definitely long straight stretches in this route where even the Apollo GT took 30-40 secs. So the Santro can comfortably hit 100 kmph on those stretches. The corners are a different matter altogether.

What can settle the issue regarding the driver's speed is the actual distance from "Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur", which was done by the driver in less than 9 mts.
Regards, rks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks